Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
A
A
The lack of reciprocation in interest is part of a pattern here. This is his problem, not your problem. You seem to have a fairly well-developed sense of social attunement, and would never think to make such a narcissistic and arrogant request. There is a deep insecurity that he is masking from the way you describe it.

There is no "most couples." A lot of couples in an older generation (older than us) had an arrangement where the worlds of the spouses was almost wholely separate: almost no mutual interests. There were layers of mutual co-dependence & obligation that maintained the often dry relationship (although I've known some loving couples who had this arrangement). From about our generations down, there is an expectation that there will be something more mutual in most couple's relationship. Mutual interests, especially. There will also be separate interests, but something is usually shared that the couple bond over. It might be interests in an activity or a viewpoint/worldview, for instance. Not all couples do, and not all couples sustain that mutual interest.

So, what do you two have in common that you take an interest in. Your S (when your H pulls his head out of his a** to restore an interest there). But what else? It can't be something like his work unless you truly share his work.

What else I see is that he has a real need for you to appreciate, respect, and even look up to him. Part of this is almost certainly a deeper insecurity masked in gradiosity, but part of it (again I suspect) has to do w/ his love language. He likes to be appreciated and respected. When he doesn't get this he feels unloved & he likely engages in reactive habits to protect himself from the pain of that insecurity. This is likely a big part of his complaints about how you treat him.

So, what can you do? First, start looking at what drew him to you in the first place. I bet you admired him in some way that came through? I bet you asked him his opinion on a wide range of things?

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you start bringing some of that to your everyday interaction it would help. If you say, we need to do X? Instead say, this seems to be a problem, what do you think we should do? That kind of thing. You are showing him that you will take his ideas seriously out of respect. If you already do this, then we'll have to explore some other avenues.

Me: 50 W:43
S6, S3
M: 12 yrs. T: 17
M is bad & Not happy Bomb Mar '14
S 5 Feb '15
D Bomb 13 Apr '15 (but "no hurry")
DB Coach May '15
Wants proceed on D Aug '15
Starting 1-on-1 negotiations Sept '15
A
A
On your S. Consider some therapy with someone who specializes in adolescents. This is traumatic for him, and he could do with some extra help from someone not directly involved in the upheaval of his family life.

Other than that, play with him. Can you figure out a way to be playful with him. You'll find that even at his age, he will start to feel more secure and open up and work through his problems more when he feels that kind of loving bond that comes through play.

And, it's time to start a new thread.

Hang in there. You aren't just faking it. It just is really tough, and your H is really making life miserable for a lot of people - himself included.

Me: 50 W:43
S6, S3
M: 12 yrs. T: 17
M is bad & Not happy Bomb Mar '14
S 5 Feb '15
D Bomb 13 Apr '15 (but "no hurry")
DB Coach May '15
Wants proceed on D Aug '15
Starting 1-on-1 negotiations Sept '15
job Offline
Please start a new thread.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard