G

Gordie 40s W 40s M20+ kids
2016 BD W fantasy affair w OM1 I do everything wrong
2017 I start to DB W says TLTL files for D PA w OM2
2018 I do LRT W drops filing and OM2 situation slowly improving
R
R
Welcome to your new thread.

I am glad to read about the positive changes.

Many have commented on keeping those expectations v low. So no need for me to echo them. Treat it as a good sign but remember until you arrive at the destination you are only going in the right direction. But that beats going in the wrong direction where there are no signs pointing to where you want to go.

My main advice to you is to resist a while longer before addressing your need to be heard about your side of this. For the moment she is still unsure about you. Until she is 100% sure, best to leave her "cook". That time will come. You will make sure that it does, so no need to worry about that.

Do what you can to dissipate that resentment. It will do you only harm and could jeopardize further progress. You are right to feel resentment and betrayal, or at least it is normal. You could pick your moment and release all of that built up resentement and let her know she was wrong and hence you are right. But being right isn't everything. Dig a little deeper for patience.

Read up on resentment.

Best wishes

R 25 years
M 14 years
S11 & S13
Working on it alone since Oct 2014
M in trouble a lot earlier (~2 years)
Feb 2016. 1st R chat in a yr.
Next R chat Aug'17
Still together
G
Gordie Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Roist

Thank you as always

I am trying to be more positive about things

To keep expectations low

And yes to hold back a while longer

You are right that she still says and does things that communicate she is unsure

I have been praying to release all resentment

When I think I have forgiven

I find I have to forgive a little more

It is a process

And as someone else says

You can be right or you can be married

Journaling

W and I have changed as people

There are things we still like about each other

But there are things we dislike about each other too

W is starting to articulate some of those things she does not like

I listen and try to be receptive

If I try to say anything I dislike about her

It is not met receptively

So I keep those thoughts to myself

After our love making at Christmas

She has distanced herself again physically

We are back in the same bed

But she stays far on her side

And does not want me to touch her

I have focused on non sexual touching

She is more receptive to this

I can give her a hug

I can give her a back rub

She now welcomes this

We can hug or kiss hello or goodbye

W has rejoined family meals

But she does not like my cooking

This is a source of stress

So yes overall things continue to get better

One day at a time

Gordie 40s W 40s M20+ kids
2016 BD W fantasy affair w OM1 I do everything wrong
2017 I start to DB W says TLTL files for D PA w OM2
2018 I do LRT W drops filing and OM2 situation slowly improving
O
O
Gordie:

Sense more of a calm from you about all of this. Good to keep those expectations low. Seeing mine now 2x in a month after not seeing him for 1.5 years sure makes me think what you are doing is impressive. All I can think is, "what the hell did I ever see in this guy?" Yes you can be right or married, yes you have to shovel it now, but in all likelihood, you will get a chance to move past some of this in the future.

G
G
Gordie, I have been thinking about you, praying for you, wondering about you. I am happy to see you posting.

I am not happy to hear about how much W criticizes you. For some reason the idea that she sits at the dinner table and criticizes a meal you made was to me worse than the other things. A man cooking me a meal is a dream I cannot imagine ever coming true.

Her continuing to criticize you breaks my heart because you are one of the best men in the world.

But I understand that the scales have not come off her eyes yet, and that it will take a long time. I love your patience.

I am not sure I understand why you are having relationship talks. From the outside it seems like she is not herself yet. But I guess you are just trying to listen. Are you afraid that if you don't listen, she will run again?

I wonder what Job has to say about this. I am wanting you to have a boundary --e.g., when my H tries to criticize me, I usually leave the room after letting one or two go by. But I have never been in that stage you are in now, where there is a return. Seems like her return is still in the stage of trying to change you. Maybe you can't have a boundary now or don't feel like you need one.

I don't know if you read the e-mail I posted from my H; it got a lot of comments as it was very abusive. But nothing unusual since BD3. I was actually kind of surprised that it got so much attention on these boards as I have posted his e-mails before. And because I thought all of us had the same kind of e-mails or comments or diatribes from our spouses. I didn't think mine was that unusual. I remembered what you said about possible replies when I asked you once. I am thinking about that in the context of your W. I guess you are giving those sorts of replies.

I hope that most of all, when she criticizes you, that you have your eyes on Christ. Sometimes I pretend He is sitting on the ledge of the window, looking in at me when my H is being horrible. In the past, when my H would be in the car with us, I would picture Christ running alongside the car or sitting on top of the hood. It's a little like the mini Gordie, DnJ and Job on my mantle, but... Well, it's CHRIST! This helps me to keep my eyes on God's love, goodness, compassion, mercy and off of the ridiculous and hurtful words coming out of my H's mouth. Maybe you can try that. Maybe you are already trying that.

Gordie, I am sending you many prayers. I am happy to "see" you.

I believe I will see the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord with courage.
Be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord.
R
R
I wish I could lend you a patience shovel but I have none to spare!! Though an order for more has been placed!!

I was curious to see how your W reacted in the aftermath and going forward. On these boards it has been known that the holiday season can often give rise to extra contact or better interactions in some cases, which disappear just as quickly afterwards. There are many explanations for this, but that doesn't really matter to the LBS. the fact she continues to sleep together since is a big step even though as it is, is surely less comfortable for you than apart. Give her the time and space she requires. She may just be signalling to you that things are not fully there yet so the distance is just a slow down sign not to assume everything is rosey and physical affection can continue as newlyweds. She could have gone back to her room, so that is positive.

Yes there are a lot of positives in your situation. Keep focusing on them. Encourage them. As for the negatives, that's where the patience shovel is needed. Our wives are still a bit self centered and look at the world from their perspective seeing mostly what is good or bad for them. I understand that is difficult, but look at it as another phase to get through as one way or another it will too pass. TBH those negative comments are like drops of water that are at first easily shrugged off (relatively easier) but over time wear through our protection and hurt. Each comment in itself may be minor but the accumulation does take its tole.

As you said things are improving day by day. Focus on that. Look to where you are heading without measuring how far you still have to go but rather how far you have come. She isn't ready to look at her bad points nor your good points for the instant but that time will come. Again don't stress about that happening as you will make sure it does further down the line.

I would just caution you to hold strong and not let her dictate all the terms of how things progress. Follow her lead but make your own decisions about what is ok or not at each stage. Let stuff slide to allow progress without being a pushover.

Best wishes Gordie

R 25 years
M 14 years
S11 & S13
Working on it alone since Oct 2014
M in trouble a lot earlier (~2 years)
Feb 2016. 1st R chat in a yr.
Next R chat Aug'17
Still together
O
O
Hi Gordie,

thanks for checking in on my thread. You have experience and wisdom that I can only hope to achieve, and above that, patience. Your gratitude in noticing the little things that are positive is something I have noticed. I would say that even though your cooking may not be the best, it's food, which is a blessing we can all overlook, but should be grateful for. Of course, a WS seems to have a hard time thinking past the end of his or her nose sometimes.

Tiptoeing around your own W is not fun, and it is not how marriage is supposed to be. But things don't always go how they're supposed to. I'm hoping for continued progress for your sitch.

H 34
W 29
BD 3/12/18
Divorce Busted Spring 19

It is not things that bother us, but the stories we tell ourselves about things.
P
P
Gordie

you are doing an amazing job with your situation

married 14 years
H 42
bomb 2/07 IDLYA
D final 3 /09
M ow D ow
G
Gordie Offline OP
OP Offline