Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
This is beginning to feel like a really weird rendition of Rumpelstiltskin. In 6th grade I had a very minor role in our Rumpelstiltskin play. I was completely enamored by the girl that played the lead role; her name was Gwen. So, Gwen is my next guess. And if Gwen is not the correct name, I have a strategy. I've devised a plan... <evil laughter>
Not Gwen - although I never did know her middle name.
Originally Posted by Princess Bride
Inigo Montoya: Who are you?
Man in Black: No one of consequence.
Inigo Montoya: I must know...
Man in Black: Get used to disappointment.
Inigo Montoya: 'kay.
Better day today. I got nearly 12 hours in bed last night with only 1 short nightmare early in the evening and not associated with my ex at all. I probably got 10 hours of sleep.

I was talking to one of the company presidents yesterday and he assured me that as far as he was concerned that I had no worries about job security which is good on the face of it. I just need to keep my head down, get stuff done, add value. I think I need to learn a lot more about that side of the business. He hinted that my role would probably expand into production planning which means understanding the plant, packaging, customers and competitive pressures. Certainly a stretch far outside of my usual scope of work but useful even if I'm wrong. I need to spend some extra time keeping an eye on things I don't normally and research and listen.

You can never really tell what's going to happen though and I was talking to our salesman (who has similar concerns to me) and we agreed that the tallest grains in the field may well be the first chopped although he referred to it as a whack-a-mole process. We know cuts are coming even though that specific division is massively under-staffed right now. Especially with support/admin staff. The corporate group which I'm officially part of has a number of rather highly paid people that have little to do with the dramatically smaller company that will be left after the merger / acquisition.

I checked in on 20S this morning and she's doing better and choosing to stay in the same geography as she is now which makes a lot of sense. It certainly makes my life simpler. Remembering times that my world has fallen apart I can appreciate how it gives you confidence when someone "has your back". For me, usually there hasn't been anyone.

Presuming that my ex is stalking me, I've been tempted from time to time to "poke the bear" - woman's undies included. At one time I was parking in the side drive as I used to do when she parked in the garage. A few weeks later S24 asked me pointed questions about it. No clue what she's up to but realistically if she just spent a week in a camper trailer with OM meeting her daughter she's not likely to circle back anytime soon. If she does move in with him though I can imagine some "sparks" - she's not the easiest person to live with. She did almost walk out on me when we were first married when I insisted on packing in advance of us moving which involved moving "her stuff". She made it to the bus stop but had forgotten her purse.

Going to play hooky in a short while and head "into town" and get my flu shot and pick up some lentils to use with my left-over pork. I'm often reluctant to try something new but lentils are supposedly quite good for me and don't spoil. That is one nice thing about social media and being a bachelor with probably more than an appropriate number of female "friends" - they tend to rally around to help when I'm stuck figuring something out in the kitchen.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
job Offline
Have you gotten the Shingles shot yet? You may want to inquire about that one.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
D
D
Job,

"...get my flu shot and pick up some lentils to use with my left-over pork."

That's Canadian slang. What Andrew was really saying is something like, "I'm going to get drunk, pick up some chicks and...ummm...well, you know."

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by job
Not available (for free) here until after I turn 65.
Job,

"...get my flu shot and pick up some lentils to use with my left-over pork."

That's Canadian slang. What Andrew was really saying is something like, "I'm going to get drunk, pick up some chicks and...ummm...well, you know."
I also got butternut squash to go with the pork and made some squash soup for my lunch laugh

It's only "well, you know" in Canada if it involves Maple Syrup. I remember volunteering at the local festival which I used to do for years telling people "if you're not sticky when you leave, you didn't have enough fun" laugh

I need to date someone with teenagers. I now have a large pot of soup and another of lentils, squash and pork where before I just had a plate of pork. The goal of reducing the leftovers seems to have not been met. Adulting is HARD.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline
K
Originally Posted by job
Not available (for free) here until after I turn 65.

FYI - I think I am seeing a lot more younger people getting shingles - including myself at 58 and my friend at 57. You might want to consider paying to get it before 65. There's a new version that is much more effective - called Shingrix in the states.

BTW I suspect the reason for the increase in younger people is that we're not longer getting a "boost" to our immunity by being exposed to kids with chicken pox.

kml #2819195 10/24/18 10:07 PM
job Offline
I got my shingles shot a few years ago and I wasn't 60 yet. After seeing a co-worker and my mother experiencing the shingles, I asked my physician about it and he wrote a prescription for me and I got it at a local pharmacy. I had a very slight reaction to it, but I'm glad I went ahead and got it. Shingles is absolutely nothing to deal with. It is well worth spending the $$$ on to get it.

Like kml, I have seen a lot of "younger" people getting it. The co-worker was in her mid 30's when she got it.

Shingles is absolutely nothing to deal with. It is well worth spending the $$$ on to get it.

The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
It's only "well, you know" in Canada if it involves Maple Syrup. I remember volunteering at the local festival which I used to do for years telling people "if you're not sticky when you leave, you didn't have enough fun" laugh

I need to date someone with teenagers. I now have a large pot of soup and another of lentils, squash and pork where before I just had a plate of pork. The goal of reducing the leftovers seems to have not been met. Adulting is HARD.

Andrew,

I'm onto you. You're sly. Underneath that humble down-home exterior is a ruthless player. I'm sure you've seduced female tourists from the U.S. with your Canadian bacon. "Would you like to go back to my place and have some of my Canadian bacon? It's much more substantial than the stuff you're used to. And, you'll love my butternut squash."

I know the name of that Turkish taco woman; it's Rapunzel. No?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Why is this stuff never easy?

I'd made the choice to step carefully away from CL as she obviously isn't able / willing to make time for me. I do know that she's got a lot going on. Sent her a message late yesterday letting her know that due to an office move that for the entire week starting on Saturday that I was available and that I would also be in her geography on Saturday evening for the "stag and doe" and Sunday afternoon going to the theatre. She replied back a bit later which I read in the middle of the night (still sleep problems - no nightmares though!) with the unsurprising but usual list of "I'm busy" but with a question on if I was planning on going alone to the stag and doe.

I gave it some hard thought and responded mid morning today beginning with "K - I'll make other plans", said that I was going to the party solo as S24 wasn't interested and wished her luck with the other things on her list.

Today - well - I have a date with her on Saturday before the party. She also hinted broadly that she might be interested in going to the party.

My intention had been to let her know that I was "moving on" - from something that to me that hasn't really had a chance to get started. I think she didn't want that. I don't think taking her to the party - where we would be identified as a couple - is a really good idea which is why her first suggestion - of meeting me there and us leaving together - didn't work for me. Her question about if I had a date for the party was obviously fishing to see if I was multi-dating I think.

I do "really" like her but I can't be left to sit quietly on a shelf indefinitely. The party starts at 8:00. We're meeting at 7:15 at a pub close to the party and I figure that arriving to the party around 9:00 is good (which runs until quite late), stay there for under an hour and then the long drive home. She has church early the next morning so won't be out late herself.
Underneath that humble down-home exterior is a ruthless player.
My "down-home exterior" today is wearing a rather nice bow tie and gold cufflinks with an Egyptian cotton shirt. Not quite the traditional Canadian Capote. I don't even own snow-shoes. laugh

Oh - and the lady's name has absolutely no relationship to cabbages.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I hate filling up this thread un-necessarily - other than playing games about cabbages - but just to clarify - I sent the note suggesting I was available 90% expecting the answer I got. Then I could step further back with a clear conscience as she herself would be saying that she wasn't available. The careful thought was on what to say that was brief, friendly and more or less the "friend-zone" that I had figured I was living in.

What did surprise me was the sudden 180 on her part.

I'm not nearly smart enough for this nonsense.

And yes - I'm happy that she's making an effort at least for now. When we're out we need to chat about how we can sustain contact if that's where we're going. I worry a bit that she just wants to ensure that she's got her stamp on me but not interested in doing anything with it. Paranoia perhaps from being married to a very possessive woman for a very long time who did largely take me for granted. And CL did exhibit possessive tendencies on that first encounter.

As has been discussed on other threads, I personally do like the idea of a possessive woman who is somewhat clingy - perhaps because it's what I am used to - makes me feel wanted. Complicated slightly by the fact that since BD I have made a "lot" of very nice female friends. Some of whom are also younger, attractive and available.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
job Offline
Andrew,

Sounds like she realizes at the last minute that you aren't waiting around for her and she ropes you back in so to speak. She certainly gives me the impression, from your posting, that she doesn't want you to stray too far from being there for her. . I don't think you want to be her Plan B. Besides, you do not need to tell her if you have a date or not for the stag and doe. I would have let her ponder that question for a bit.

Just my two cents.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard