"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
K
kml Offline
K
Yeah, it's a bummer. Not much was known about concussion back then. To be fair it didn't change his personality from before, just made the bad parts worse. And I honestly don't know how much of his current behavior is affected by brain injury, but I try to maintain a generous attitude that the most clueless behavior may be early signs of brain damage.

K
kml Offline
K
Oh ....and he was recently diagnosed with an old fracture of a vertebrae in his neck; no telling when that happened.

R
R

Well.....

Was it a matching his and hers letter writing kit?

wink

R 25 years
M 14 years
S11 & S13
Working on it alone since Oct 2014
M in trouble a lot earlier (~2 years)
Feb 2016. 1st R chat in a yr.
Next R chat Aug'17
Still together
H
HaWho Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Geez KML - that is an awful lot of injuries. And as for the whole rest of the story, you really are to be admired for standing through all that. One of the best things about having you here, still posting, is that in addition to your great advice, you have remained very positive about life. It's good for all of us to see that. Of all that you wrote about what you stood through, that was my takeaway: you can remain positive. It's possible. Thank you for all your advice and the time you give here.

Roist - matching writing sets, too funny! (Don't give him any ideas.)

So, he did a good job. He had a gift for me from Santa. It was some shopping spree cash. It's most noteworthy in that it's how he used to be. In MLC, he has been so stingy, it's been awful to watch. (I don't necessarily "need" him to be as generous as he was but I definitely find it hard to be with an un-generous person.)

I genuinely thanked him.

Then he had a gift that was from him. It was a beautiful and unique Christmas decoration, a music box, really. I hugged him and said thanks. I love it. It's the sort of thing I would love. (The hug felt awkward. He seemed uncomfortable overall throughout the night.)

He seemed to like my gift. It was something personally sentimental to him. Nothing to do with us. He looked at it a long while and I think he was tearing up a bit. There was emotion in his eyes. I think he might have been looking down at it to fight the tears back.

Another noteworthy thing? At the end of the night h mentioned he is meeting up with his pre-MLC friend. This is the one that h dropped for no good reason. The guy was a good friend to him and did not deserve that treatment. They have not spoken for 2 1/2 years. H said the friend had reached out to him a few times. Not sure if that's how it all unfolded. But, I hope they can patch it up. They had been friends for 10 good years.

Thanks again everyone for the support and advice. I appreciate all your time.

Me 41, H 47, M 15 yrs, S11, S13
BD 1: 11/4/14 we work on it; really I pretzel myself
BD 2: 3/31/15 H goes down to "dorm room"
8/15: H back to MBR
10/15: H back in dorm room
1/18: H files, now divorced
B
B
Merry Christmas Ha! xoxoxoxo
sounds beautiful oxoxo hope your travels were safe and uneventful xoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
I
I
Merry Christmas HaWho xoxo

M51
XW43 (38 at bd)
BD1 MAY 30 2015
BD2 JUNE 25 2015 by text
moved out Aug 2 2015
left both Daughters 13 and 15 (now 18-20)
Her divorce Final July 26 2016
Last time she saw her kids Aug 2 2015
job Offline
HaWho,

I'm very glad you got a nice present from your h this year. The music box sounds very nice and one that you can treasure for a long time. He actually put some thought into what he was getting you this year. That's a first in a long time.

I'm also glad he's going to meet up w/an old friend this holiday season. Maybe he's starting to grow up a bit and has come to realize some of his behavior towards others hasn't been the best. Whatever the reason, I glad he's going to make the effort to reconnect w/him.

HaWho, I hope your visit back home is a happy and memorable one. I hope that you get to see a number of your family members that you don't generally see, as well as some old friends.

Merry Christmas. Travel safely!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
H
HaWho Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Just a quick pop - in to say Merry Christmas to you all! I truly am so blessed to have found this place and this group of people. I think of you and your situations often. You are all in my prayers.

Look out 2017; we're coming back bigger and better than ever!!!!

H
HaWho Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks Bttrfly, Irish and Job.

Well, spending the last days with h in the real world offers up quite a glimpse into his reality. There is so much I could write. I see moments where he is quite overwhelmed, stuck in past stories, still confused (especially finding places in the car even though he grew up here!!), sometimes like his old self and even a few touch-n-goes of the physical nature. I'll try to pick a few highlights.

We went to h's Great Grandmother's grave for the first time. She passed away in the spring and we didn't attend the funeral. She adored my h and was one of the few positive female role models in his life.

H had found out the section of the cemetery she was buried. We had a number and a section name. But it is an old New England cemetery and the numbers and even the section jumps all around. After a bit of driving, I gently suggested we ask the office for assistance. H said no. He decided to go with the boys and just start walking around to find her grave. I tried to reason with him as this is not one of those cemeteries where the graves are in neat rows. In fact, part of your "section" could be 400 feet over there under some random tree. Nope. He was going to walk and find her. There is a break in logical thinking there.

Meanwhile I decided to drive to the office and ask for help. I returned a few minutes later and could see h had already passed by where she was laid to rest.

I know this was all hard for him on some many levels, particularly the mortality issue. We gave him a hug and he often expressed his shock that she was gone.

Job, know how they take odd things? I saw h take some dirt from her burial area.

We went to a family member's house and she had laid out some sentimental photos of our kids and even one of us when we were dating. H glommed on to a photo of this place he lived in during his upper 20's. He took the photo and it was the only one he spoke fondly of, too. He reminisced about that photo only.

He wanted to drive through his old neighborhood. And he re-lived who lived where, etc. He really seems to be stuck in the past. I am not sure he's made any new memories while here.

Wonka, thanks for the heads up on watching his return to his family. At Christmas h gave him mother a gift. He watched her open it. She was quite frigid in her response and my heart broke for him. I could see he so wanted to please her.

Later in the night he tried to show her a recent injury he's had. And it really did seem like he was about a pre-teen aged boy. He wanted her to fuss over him. She did not. She went through the motions of saying the right things but there's a coldness there.

He talked about her coldness. He said his whole life all she did was cook meals and do his laundry. There was no deeper relationship. I validated and listened and my heart broke for him as a mother myself. I do think one of the key triggers for him was to see me loving my boys in a proper fashion. And on several occasions he has called me cold, too. I know it's projection because I am far from cold. No one who knows me would describe me as such.

Job he no longer clings to the edge of the bed when sleeping with me. Xmas morning I was rolling over and he lifted his arm for me to rest on it. I saw it but thought he was merely stretching so I missed the opportunity. He sighed and poked my hip (for me to turn around) and lifted his arm again. We talked like that for a bit.

It's frightening how simultaneously comfortable and uncomfortable that was.

He asked me to sit next to him at my family's dinner. And he had other such small reach out moments. Probably all due to the holidays.

And here's a few hilarious tid bits. I saw h had written a song titled "Ballad for ___". And in the space were three initial I did not recognize. I assumed it was for a woman. Well, his best friend came over and long story short, the song was for his friend's 13 year old daughter!!! So, do refrain from mind reading.

I told him it was a nice song when I found out it was for the girl. He said he had sent it to me. I told him he had not. He said he had. I joked that maybe he'd sent it to another woman. He became indignant and said no, emphatically. (I checked and he never sent it to me. I like to make sure I am not losing my mind in all this.)

He's snapped at me once. Still gets very cranky out of nowhere.

He told me he had lunch with that old friend and the friend now looked very old. H said the friend aged in the year he had not seen him. I said "year you haven't seen him?!? Try THREE!" H of course was not aware he ditched this guy almost three years ago.

Sorry for the über long post.

Special thanks to all of you who have helped me on this journey. You all know who you are . . .

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard