Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
D
Quote:
While everything is considered joint property until a D is final, I wouldn't think there would be any issue with starting to put your own paycheck in a separate account and I wouldn't have any problem with taking half of anything that is in a joint account. As long as you don't take more than 50%, there shouldn't be any issue long term. Of course, you should get the advice of a lawyer. When I consulted with an attorney (after discovering the A but before filing for D), I was told that I should open a new account and I did just that.

Our states must be different, as mine told me that any money in checking/savings/ira/etc., is considered marital property as long as it was deposited DURING the marriage. While you may do that, I would be willing to bet that if she were nasty enough, she could get half.

There are moments in this life when you are so confident in the rightness of your actions, that not even for a second do you consider the option that you might be wrong.
M
M
With a separate account with your paycheck you have control on how it's spent regardless if it is divided at D. This is better than having no control and let the W spend away reckless, or worse.

Me:49 W:45
M:19 T:22
EA confirmed and ended 8/2014
S:19,17 D:9,5
B
bsb Offline
B
I agree with trying to have some control over the account. You might look at putting a freeze on the current accounts? If you do this for both of you it shouldn't be an issue??

D
D
Quote:
I agree with trying to have some control over the account. You might look at putting a freeze on the current accounts? If you do this for both of you it shouldn't be an issue??

The flip side to that is that he can't freeze and therefore control what is rightfully hers if she is on those current accounts.

There are moments in this life when you are so confident in the rightness of your actions, that not even for a second do you consider the option that you might be wrong.
L
LiM Offline
L
Every state is different but I'm not saying she isn't entitled to half. She is. I'm just saying that you should protect yourself. Cancel or get her off any joint credit cards so she doesn't run up any debt (which you would be liable for half of). Put your paycheck in your own account and tell her she is now responsible for half of the household bills. Follow the advice of your attorney and consider getting a consultation from more than one attorney.

Me: 48 y/o
W: 47 y/o
Together: > 20 yrs
BD: Dec '15, then S
2nd BD: Mar '16, then I filed for D
April '16: started piecing
R
R
If she opens another credit card, he would still be liable for half her debts, even if he is not on the account.

Me: 44
H: 44
Kids: 20, 16, 16, and 10
Together/Married: 22 years
H announced he was emotionally detached and considering D: 4/4/16
H announced he is going to try to stay and reconnect: 5/1/16
V
V
L advice I think.

V

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose.
V 64, WAW

C
Chris73 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Came home last night after an amazing evening of GAL. W left my pillows on the couch indicating that that's where I was to sleep. I brought them back upstairs to my bed and got in. She said, "hey". I said "hey what?" She said, "ugh, eff you" and stormed out to sleep on the couch.

This morning she left early for work and the sent me a txt:

"I would like to take some time to talk soon when you are not so angry with me. Let me know if and when you would be willing."

M46 W48
M11 T14
S11 D8
BD: 2016/05/27
In-home separation: 2016/11/23
Nesting: 2017/06/11
W moves out: 2018/01/07
W goes public with OM: 2018/07/12
I ask for a divorce: 2018/12/14
V
V
OK

It's your MBR if she wants out she gets the couch.

WW The anger seems to be yours, I am fine and chilled, in fact last night I had a great evening and was mellow. If you want one of us not sleeping in the MBR that should be you, you are the one with the A. This is my home.

If you wish to discuss how your move from the MBR can be achieved then please let me have your suggestion first.

Now Chris, keep your buttons out of pressing point and be prepared to record any interaction to protect you. I suggest any 'talk' is on neutral territory without alcohol and after your boundary is laid down.

Text is fine as a response and you can have a copy.

Keep and document.

Just saying, get a recorder app on your phone.

V

V 64, WAW

V
V
Oh and by the way Chris

Mastery of boundary enforcement last night.

Tough stuff after a great night out

V

V 64, WAW

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard