Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Tate #2693913 08/01/16 08:45 AM
D
D
Originally Posted By: Tate
Even though it seems i am not taking your advice, i am listening and using everything you say to decide my future actions.

Tate,

I find you so exasperating that I'm heading over to Lowe's right now to buy some power tools.

M
M
Originally Posted By: sandi2
Quote:
So, I realized the hardest thing about exposing my wife would be the effect on my kids. I simply cannot take them to see family as often as my wife.

The only thing keeping me from exposing my wife are my kids and I just cannot get myself to hurt them. Im really distressed over this situation to the point of losing sleep over it this week...

So, are you saying that you will continue to tolerate this A, b/c otherwise, your kids won't get to see their cousins as often?

And to add to this, if you DO tell your sister, you believe that YOU are the one that will be "guilty" of damaging the relationship between the cousins?

T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Absolutely not. It's like a car wreck...you may be in the right, but you still want to avoid wrecks at all costs.

I don't mean to offend anyone,but to put this a bit bluntly, I'm looking for experience advice from someone who has some insight into a scenario like this and is NOT separated or filing for divorce. This is a divorce busting site, yet it seems the majority of people on this board are not succeeding at stopping their divorces.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
Renig on Bomb drop 4/2016
Living as roommates, EA continues
Tate #2693946 08/01/16 10:43 AM
T
Tate Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I guess the big question is aside from telling or not telling my sister, is there anything else I should be doing in dealing with my wife?

The conversation keeps coming back to my sister...that is on hold for a bit while I reason through all of the consequences.

My wife and I get along great in daily interactions, but she swears she will never want to work on our relationship, get close to me, or love me again. When asked what her plans are if things continue the way they are, she simply responds with an I don't know.

M 17 years
3 kids
EA start 2010
ILYBNILWY 1/2014
PA 1/2016
Bomb drop 2/2016
Renig on Bomb drop 4/2016
Living as roommates, EA continues
Tate #2693955 08/01/16 11:08 AM
M
M
Absolutely not. It's like a car wreck...you may be in the right, but you still want to avoid wrecks at all costs.

So what is your goal? To have a happy marriage or to avoid "collateral damage"?

To add to your analogy, sometimes your car gets some minor dings and dents, but you just keep driving it, not being able to justify the repair costs. But eventually, you get into a crash, and require extensive repairs and the car comes out looking new again. Of course, you arent going to TRY to crash, but sometimes, it happens, and it works out for the best.

Have you read DR and gone through the process of goal setting? What are your "30 foot putts"?

My wife and I get along great in daily interactions, but she swears she will never want to work on our relationship, get close to me, or love me again.

How can you two have an effective relationship when there are 3 or 4 people in it? The advice is focused on your sister, because you cannot improve things with your W until the other people are out of your relationship.

I don't mean to offend anyone,but to put this a bit bluntly, I'm looking for experience advice from someone who has some insight into a scenario like this and is NOT separated or filing for divorce. This is a divorce busting site, yet it seems the majority of people on this board are not succeeding at stopping their divorces.

You probably wont offend anyone, but I think it is an extremely limited view. The value should be on the process, not on the results. I could have DB'ed 100% perfectly and still gotten divorced. There is nothing I can do or could have done to control my ex's thoughts. Does that mean Im not qualified to provide my thoughts to you? If you choose not to want my opinions, fine, Im more than happy to leave you to it.

Tate #2693958 08/01/16 11:09 AM
F
F
Take a big step back. Take a deep breath. And look at the whole mess in front of you.

Your W and BIL have created a dysfunctional, destructive situation for all involved. This is something that will have long-term consequences not just for the adults, but for the children.

It's time to extract pride, worry, fear and timidity -- and your self-interest about getting your W back -- from all your considerations. Sit down w/ your sister and talk to her. Then sit down w/ your W and talk to her. Sit down w/ your BIL and talk to him. Tell your W & BIL it must stop.

Me: 50, MLC/WW 45
Young kids
Nov 2015: BD1
Apr 2016: BD2
Jan 2017: W filed
Feb 2017: D final
Tate #2694012 08/01/16 02:11 PM
C
C
Hi Tate,

Your car wreck analogy is spot on!

Sadly, there is no easy or quick fix to this mess. You can't forbid or force your wife or BIL to do or stop anything.

The best advice I can give you is to call a Divorce Busting Coach today. Divorce Busting coaches will give you the best advice on how to save your marriage and get things moving in a more positive direction. Please call me to discuss our coaching program 303-444-7004

Cristy
Resource Coordinator
The Divorce Busting Center
303-444-7004

A Divorce Busting Coach can help you save your marriage, even when your spouse wants out.

Email virginia@divorcebusting.com or 303-444-7004 for more information or to get started right away.
Tate #2694131 08/02/16 07:46 AM
A
A
Tate - I struggled a lot with this myself. Part of me wanted to scream my pain and betrayal from the highest rooftops and receive the support and comfort of those around me who sympathized with me. The other part (which won) wanted to protect my WW from the immediate consequences of her actions. Those immediate consequences would be (presumably) hurt to her relationship with our adult children and hurt to her reputation in the community.
Additionally I felt that she would see this as a betrayal of HER by me and it would reduce the chance of any reconciliation.

Fast forward 3 months and a bit. The A is still ongoing - not sure how actively though, WW has moved out and is (I believe) on her own trying to get her act together. The A is still (largely) secret although I have told my brothers and their wives with strict instructions to keep it to themselves. I only told them because I needed more support than what was available from random people on the internet (ie this forum). WW knows that I have told them and that they have said that they would welcome her back into our extended family. I "believe" that WW has respect for my actions and is grateful for me keeping her secrets. In a recent text where she said she was going to tell S22 "everything" I responded that it was her story to tell, not mine and it was up to her how much if anything she told. I honestly have no idea who she has told but know that it's mainly been close friends only. To the best of my knowledge S22 and D24 still don't know.

I hope that helps. Adult children are a very different kettle of fish than yours I'm sure.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Tate #2694132 08/02/16 07:59 AM
A
A

Tate - I had this exact same rant a while ago. I felt that I was here looking for help and that all I would get was the same platitudes from people who were failing in their own efforts.

Getting hit by a 2X4 hurts and yes, many of us swinging them are amateurs. That's the nature of a peer support group - most of us are in the same mud pit as you trying to find the way out. If we knew the way out we wouldn't be here.

If you are looking for some good SOLID help then contacting Christy to get some proper coaching is a good idea. I know that I ended up taking a break from the forum for a while because my head was ringing too much and my wallet too thin for coaching.

The forum DOES have a number of redeeming features though. The biggest one for me is knowing that I'M NOT ALONE. There are others in this mud pit too who are fighting the same fight. Most of us mean well but remember too that we are also dealing with anger and frustration so our 2X4 swinging might not be aimed at what you think is the right target.

This might not help but if you want to waste a bunch of time you can go back to my threads from the end of May when I was on a major rant looking for help and only getting 2X4s
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2690827&page=5

Since then, and burning out a very well meaning friend with my drama, I've come back and am working on "paying it forward" to the community here and reading how others are coping while the slow grind towards an uncertain future continues.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Originally Posted By: AndrewP
The forum DOES have a number of redeeming features though. The biggest one for me is knowing that I'M NOT ALONE. There are others in this mud pit too who are fighting the same fight. Most of us mean well but remember too that we are also dealing with anger and frustration so our 2X4 swinging might not be aimed at what you think is the right target.

Andrew,

You're absolutely right. The anger and frustration surfaces very quickly when I see someone else making the same mistakes (or what I consider to be mistakes) that I made. I feel like I took far too long to wake up from the LBS fog so when I see that happening to someone else, I tend to threaten to run out an buy power tools (I actually did go out and buy a grinder/cutoff tool yesterday).

There are also differing philosophies regarding the best approach to take with a WW. I tend to be a hard-@ss these days; I'd reached a point where I felt like I was a doormat and that's not who I am, so I now have zero tolerance for WW bullsh*t. But, I also understand that approach doesn't work for everyone.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard