Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
C
C
Originally Posted By: Underdog circa 5/10/06
D12 is also kicking butt. She's still making straight A's, is heading into 7th grade in A/P classes and is loving the life of a volleyball player.
She had a terrific time in Dallas--probably thanks to my sister and Nickel--and came "this" close to qualifying for nationals on Sunday (junior olympics). Our club season has now come to a close and she's playing for her middle school and is going to try out for a quick competitive fall league before tryouts for her present club in October. Oh, and she's heading to Scotland for a month with my parents in July. Life's good for her... well, except when I'm trying to keep up with her!

In between volleyball, we watch a lot of hockey. I wound up taking her, a friend and D9 to see the Avs play in March as a gift to myself. (I had a rather generous self appreciating birthday this year. ) Well, D12 fell in love with the game and didn't have to work too hard to convince me to subscribe to Center Ice (which I refused to do if it were only me watching hockey). My friends and family have now dubbed her, "Hockey Junior". We're addicted...and she's given me her full blessing to find a love interest who likes hockey and who also might be inclined to have season tickets or have an interest in going to the games during regular season. Preferably rink side and as close to the glass as possible... or club seats. That makes me laugh!

Just was doing some reading and came across this!

Anyways thought I would share as I know what happens 9 years later..... smile smile smile
Vollyball still going strong.
Did the fall schedule come out yet?

I somehow figure we will meet up at a game or two.

Me-70, D37,S36
OP Offline
Holy crap, Cadet. I thought they purged the past threads???? That was 9 years ago. Crap! She's now heading into her senior year in college and kind of dreading everything that this year means. What a change...

Yes, the schedule is up! It's not NYC friendly this final season (much to my dismay), unless they make it to the NCAA tournament (why not?) and the hosting powers that be decide to award it to a school in your neck of the woods. Maybe the one in Saratoga? You could bring your GF for a weekend? grin

We're hoping to try to make it to every tournament this year. Yep, you read that right. It makes me tired even typing that. But this is our last hurrah, so I want to make it a memory with no regrets. I've already told D18's teachers to plan on us being gone every Friday, beginning with the RI tourney. (We won't be going to the ones mid week.) My college buds (you met one of them - there are 2 more) are going to the one in PA, as they are playing our alma mater. So let me know if you can make any one of them and I'll put a star next to that weekend and make every attempt to book it. I'll have D18 for most of them. I sure wish I knew pilot willing to make the trip between Centennial and places east...

D21 is only coming home for 2 weeks in May before heading back your way in mid May. She got an internship in Malta. I'm really relieved for her, but bummed as well. I have never not had her around during the summer and I'm surprised at how sad I am about that. But they all grow up and prosper. Thanks to you and your GF for being my role models there!

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
B
Originally Posted By: Underdog
Holy crap, Cadet. I thought they purged the past threads???? That was 9 years ago. Crap! She's now heading into her senior year in college and kind of dreading everything that this year means. What a change...

Time marches on, sometimes faster than we would like. It was one year ago today that my father passed away and it seems just like yesterday I was talking to him on the phone.

Bets - I agree with your strategy of attending all of her tournaments this year. Enjoy every one of them - and if there happen to be any near here let me know and I'll join you!

BA

OP Offline
Aww, BA, sending you an electronic hug for this difficult reminder. I'm not yet ready to lose my parents. (Though I'm not sure when I'd actually BE ready?? crazy) Any good self care on your agenda today?

BTW, I called my dad this morning to find out if he had let in a foreigner in a hospital gown with a gun in the house. He didn't even know about it! But when he turned on the TV, the crawler said the guy stole a car, so his guess is that he's trying to get out of Fairfax County as quickly as possible. It's probably a good thing that he didn't show up at my dad's house. He's got a loaded arsenal there. But then again, it might save the taxpayers some money.

BA, the one tournament that might be in your "sphere" is the one in Grand Rapids. They're playing 4 nationally ranked teams (highly ranked, that is), and she's wondering if her coach is just plain crazy. Then again, you only get better when you play the best, so I don't think he's nuts.

I think it's a good plan too, especially since I won't be seeing much of her at all until volleyball season begins. I'm working on getting Mr. Wonderful to commit to Labor Day weekend in RI. For some more than bizarre reason, I want him to be part of this insanity. This is probably part of my character flaw where I tell him what he should do. But the truth is, I don't need a crystal ball to tell me that if he doesn't do it he will regret it. He's already got a lot of regrets that are fallout from our D. I don't plan on letting him add to the pile, because there is something he can do about it to prevent it from happening. I consider it my ultimate gift to him. grin We may be D, but somehow, I know that this is one area in our lives that I can help him overcome his issues. He hates traveling now, and I know it won't change his opinion. But his daughter is worth setting that aside.

Anyhoo. That's the only thing we can do. Move forward.

So hugs for you, BA.

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
B
Thanks for electronic hug Bets - it wasn't even shocking! grin

Even though I wasn't real close to my Dad, it was still tough to see him go and I do miss him. I can't even imagine, nor do I like to even think about, what it will be like when my dear mother passes on since we have a much closer and loving relationship. frown

The hospital-gowned gunman was all the chatter this morning on the radio and as of this afternoon I believe he's still on the loose. As you know INOVA is not very far away from me either, in fact probably only about 2 miles from the Metro Station I get on. Hopefully he is caught before he hurts anyone.

Okay so are you talking about a tournament in Grand Rapids, Michigan or is there a Grand Rapids, Virginia that I don't know about. If it's the Michigan one, then that's going to be a bit of a stretch for me. grin

I hope Mr. Wonderful listens to your sage advice and gets his travel plans in order. These are opportunities that pass by and don't come around again and it would be sad if he places his convenience over the satisfaction and appreciation your D21 will have seeing you both in the stands rooting her on!

My self care for today will be sharing a bit of scotch tonight with Carol. smirk

BA

OP Offline
I try not to electrocute people, especially friends!

Looks like they caught the escapee? Your Metro ride home should be a bit safer this afternoon.

Yep, I'm talking Michigan. You're always looking for reasons to go there in the fall, aren't you? It's on "the" lake. You and Carol are going to need a reason to get your last glimpse of Lake Michigan before winter, right? grin

Otherwise, your choices are Huntingdon, PA, and Atlanta (over Halloween). My folks are driving up to the PA tourney, and like I said earlier, my college buds and I are going to that one too. After D21 graduates, we're going to do a fall trip together somewhere fun. Since 2 of them are in the DC area, I doubt that means they want a staycation. wink

Hope you and Carol enjoy the scotch. Say, you know what I've been enjoying lately? Remember the drink the proprietor of the 4Ps brought out? Bailey's on the rocks with a shot of Irish Mist? It's a very expensive drink! But I feel like I'm drinking dessert. I've developed a real affection for it. I'm now almost out of Bailey's so another trip to the liquor store is undoubtedly in order this weekend. Without a doubt, I'm sure it will be my drink of choice for my birthday next week. On Tartan Day. Yee ha.

I'm considering a trip home for the 4th with D18. I might get D21 to drive on down. My cousin has a whomping huge neighborhood party and I'd really like to spend the 4th there sometime soon. I've missed it. I'll let you know.

I'll look forward to meeting Carol too!

More non-electric hugs for ya...

Albert Einstein
OP Offline
Well, BA, I'm coming home for the week of the 4th. So if you're around... I'm bringing D18 with me. She doesn't have summer camp and we'd have had to hire a sitter, so this worked out. Thanks for the inspiration.

Before I go home, I have to express some major disappointment. I will start by saying that tomorrow is the blood moon lunar eclipse, and it is supposed to affect people with birthdays +/- 4 days of April 4th. Yep, that's me. It's supposed to be one that isn't kind. And I already got the first knock a little while ago. One of my expected contracts just got scaled back by quite a bit. The full amount is part of my cash flow projections, and it's going to hurt. Not happy at all.

I did express my gratitude to the person who is doing business with us by thanking her for at least giving us the portion we're getting. I had to work to muster the gratitude, but I really meant it. She's disgusted and disappointed as well. Anyway, I sure as hell hope I can muster up some business to take its place next week.

Blah.

Anyway, hope everyone has a happy Easter.

Albert Einstein
K
K
Happy Birthday Bets! I hope you get all the wonderful gifts you deserve. You truly are a diamond in the rough.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
OP Offline
Thanks, Kat!

It was a pleasant enough day to become 53!

Albert Einstein
B
B
Glad you had a good birthday Bets! It goes without saying that you are a very young 53!!

So on another note, Carol and I are looking at a late Spring 2016 wedding - keep that in your travel plans! grin

BA

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard