Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
K
K
That sounds like an awesome plan!! So nice to know that romance isn't dead. smile Yes, please keep us up to date as you know there are some of us living vicariously through you at the moment.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
B
B
So the "Our Story" book arrived yesterday in the mail. The company that puts them together did a really nice job. The pictures for the most part are very clear and it seems to be a quality product. I think she is going to love it! The ring I designed for her will be ready on Thursday. This train is getting ready to leave the station and I'm as happy as a passenger sitting in first class! grin

BA

OP Offline
Where's the popcorn???

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
B
I finally got the chance to sit down with both of my daughters to see how they felt about the possibility of GF and her kids moving in with us this summer. D18 was, to put it mildly, ecstatic about the idea. She is my extrovert and loves the idea of large families and gatherings. She also was very receptive to the idea of sharing her room with GF's daughter. My D16, while not as crazy about the idea as her older sister, was still much more positive than negative. She said she really likes GF and thinks her kids are really nice as well. When I asked her to identify Pros and Cons to the idea, her main Cons were that it would be more crowded and she would have to adjust to living with a boy in the house.

That all being said, I now think the likelihood of this happening is diminishing. When I mentioned to GF that I had talked to my kids and that they were onboard with the idea, she related that her kids, especially her S16, are really not to crazy about the idea at all and are beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed. I have suggested to her that we table the idea and just wait until everyone is off to college. My position in this all along was that if everyone was comfortable with the idea then it was a go, but if even one of the 4 of them was opposed to it then we would simply put it off. I will have an empty house come 2016 when D16 graduates from high school and goes off to college and GF's S16 graduates in 2017. It's only 2 years out and I'd rather wait on this then have anyone living in a situation they aren't happy or comfortable with. GF isn't ready to completely throw in the towel - she said that there is still time for her kids to possibly warm up to the idea. Her lease is up for renewal in June, so she wants to see how they feel by late April or early May before making a final decision. We shall see.

This doesn't change anything for me regarding my intention to propose. I'm crazy about this woman and her kids too. It just means we're going to have a longer engagement period, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Bets - popcorn coming, would you like it with or without butter? grin

BA

S
S
I think it went as well as one could hope for. Her kids would have to move. Not many at that age would want to. But 2 years is not long off at all - especially with a wedding to plan. No need to hold off on the proposal. That could change the kids' minds too.

Good luck
Barb

B
B
I completely agree on all your points Barb. When I talked to my girls, I told them that the GF's kids had a heavier lift in all of this since it was them doing the move. My girls agreed.

BA

OP Offline
I totally agree, BA and Barb.

With butter, of course. It's yucky otherwise!

Good job, BA. I wish more people would be as honest and willing to do what is needed (delayed gratification) to make things right. You seriously get an award for that.

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
S
S
BA,
I agree - butter with that popcorn. Aren't we an agreeable group today.

You are looking at the Big Picture. Despite the kids, the locales etc - you 2 sound like a good match. And anything worth having is worth waiting for.

Barb

K
K
It seems that their issues aren't about you and your GF which is a big bonus. You are making good decisions that won't make for a bunch of resentful kids later on. Slow and steady often wins the race. smile

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
B
B
Thanks all.

Kat - you are right, the issues that her kids have nothing to do with the relationship she and I have. It's all about having to move from where they are to someplace they aren't as comfortable with. As I said before, I'm not interested in forcing anyone to move anywhere. I certainly don't want to live in a house that is filled with teenage tension! crazy

Slow and steady will win this race. The proposal may come sooner rather than later, but all the rest can wait until the appropriate time.

Now I'm off to make a bunch of buttered popcorn. The movie will hopefully start soon...

BA

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard