W53
M20
D21 D19 D16
BD 2-2013
D final 1-2015
L
L
HA!!

Just found a mistake in the paper. Dammmmmit.

Missing obit and two mistakes so far...One that the perfectionist editor will scream about.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
job Offline
Any way you can fix the mistakes before it hits the news stands?

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
L
Nope.

It's out.

Two mistakes that I've noticed. Two letters to the editor are missing the location of the person who wrote it. One has question marks because the paginator tries to communicate via the page. So, she hopes I will see the question mark and it gets fixed.

In this case, I knew the guy who helps me had gone over the letters and I assumed, wrongly, that he had caught everything.

I didn't sent out an email update last week to the two editors and the publisher. But, I'm working on one now. I addressed the mistakes right off, took responsibility and told them how this communication via the pages needs to stop for my publication because we have a lot of copy to cover and only a few sets of eyes. IDK.

I'm bummed. What the heck? The devil saw that I was relaxing a bit and decided to turn up the heat again.

Last edited by LoisB; 01/21/15 08:44 PM.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

job Offline
I hope that you can set up some sort of system that when someone has questions or needs the "fill in the block" type of things it will catch your eye. Apparently they haven't communicated with each other for a long time and need to go back to the basics of asking verbally or sending you an email to let you know when something is missing, etc.

The guy who helps you apparently didn't see the question marks either and that makes me wonder if the question marks were clear enough or maybe they needed to be bolded and in a different color than the black. Something eye catching.

Yep, your attention has been elsewhere w/the stuff going on w/the h and the devil had a little bit of play time. Now it's back to the classroom and your focus has to turn back to the work at hand.

The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
B
B
Proofing this kind of copy gets easier with practice.

Once you have more experience the errors will automatically pop out more to you.

It is distressing that the guy under you did not catch the mistakes in the letters section, but that is why its so hard to be a boss. You always have to take the hit for things even if you didn't do them.

Nothing sounds terrible - don't sweat it. Work on content and readership and selling papers - let the perfectionist editor worry about perfection.

You are a great writer as we all know from reading your posts here. Keep writing not worrying

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

L
L
Thanks Brook. That' really calmed me down.

I sent the publisher and two editors an update of what I've been up to and I addressed the mistakes. I haven't heard anything back.

So, more news from the Smokey front.

He hasn't sent any support for this month. So, I did what I've been doing since forever...I transferred money from the account.

Today, I look at my bank account and he has closed the account and the withdrawal was reversed.

I had withdrawn $400 because that's what he is telling the courts he is paying me. He does pay about $200 in car insurance each month, but one of those vehicles is the Jeep our D20 drives.

Oh my effin God.

On a sorta funny note. I hadn't heard anything from him yesterday and thought to myself...wonder what evil he is up to? Now I know. When Smokey gets quiet...it's never good.

B
B
He is really an a$$H

Just keep on keeping on you. You are doing great.

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

job Offline
Yep, when they are quiet and even going out on the limb to say communicating and being nice, you have to keep on your toes. They always have an ulterior motive and he knew you would find out about the account when you tried to get money. My xh did something very similar w/his direct deposit salary check long ago. They don't have the guts to tell you what they've done, so they do it this way, thinking it's sweet revenge for you to find out. It's a passive way of doing things. I wouldn't say a word to him, but I would let my lawyer know about it very quickly. Don't let this slide because you need to have this documented w/the lawyer.

M
M
Heather, my h did the same thing as job's too. Changed the direct deposit without a peep. They are friggn' idiots, but they usually end up screwing themselves more.

OK, so what I've read is that you and I are even more similar than I realized. I, too, have to decompress to process. I retreat.

(WTH??? I just deleted half of my post???)

I never realized it until this year when I was dealing with overwhelming emotions and stress. Prior, I don't think I really did it like that- I was always going 100 mph. Now, I kind of shut down.

And I am a guilty procrastinator. It's weird bc I am really motivated and love to be busy and active, but I am a major procrastinator with some things. I am so ADD, too. So I am easily distracted. When dealing with something I don't want to do, my mind goes in 1,000 directions. I will do 10 things at once.

Now, about the paper. Maybe this will help, maybe not. But, can you try a check list? Things you need to double check. Like locations of contributing letters. I mean, maybe something you have missed in the past, you can create a check list. And add to it other things you are sure you don't want to miss. I know it's a lot to look at, but maybe just a self-check. I have to be very specific like that, myself, sometimes. I don't know. I know that it is such a different part of your brain... the creative side, the writer vs the structured editor.

I'm really proud of you, Heather. And, I think you need to give yourself more credit. As far as dealing with the anxiety and fear... well, girl, look-y what you have done the last few months. A fearful person would move into a new and strange place and start a new life with her girls the way you have. You took the bull by the horns. You took the world by storm. Take a deep breath. Look at what you have done. What you are doing. Dealing amazing well with the situation you were in. Only a strong woman could do that.

Don't overdo it. One step at a time. And enjoy them. You can't be everyone's everything. You don't have to be, and no one expects you to be. Deal with the task at hand. Then move to the next. Find enjoyment in each one.

I am so happy d12 has some things going well for her, too. It will also help take some of the pressure off you. It will also help you feel better, knowing she has things to occupy her and for her to look forward to.

Hey, btw, are you able to do more work from home? Do you think it would help? Or go to a coffee shop close to home? I'm just thinking a less stressful environment. Less distractions. You know, when you get in your groove, as a writer... you need your space. And maybe the time saved driving could alleviate some stress (sometimes it is beneficial!).

Just thinking.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard