Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Questions for Publisher. Feedback Appreciated.

Salary.

Benefits.

Retirement.

Relocation allowance.

What support staff will I have? Do these two publications have two different sets of staff? Or, one staff for both? How many writers? Do I share a graphics/layout staff with the other newspapers?

How closely do I work with advertising? You mentioned the agriculture publication was struggling before you assumed it...how is it by way of advertising right now?

How many pages do each of these publications contain?

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wow, I'm putzing...sent the questions to the publisher, doing laundry, picking up, looking up other journalism jobs and, in the background, I have a sermon preaching...AND...I hear her say (I'm paraphrasing),

Quote:
It's easier to be a VICTIM than a VICTOR. The issue is...I'm too lazy to do the WORK, so let me blame someone else for my unhappiness...I only have you for a total of two days, ideally, out of 365 days of the year...I can only hope that you leave here and do the daily work, and be responsible, and take responsibility and be disciplined and don't blame...Because IF you want to find a WAY, you will...otherwise you will find an excuse...Some of you are married to an earthly treasure and you keep going after trash. Don't you want to know, 'Why do I do that?' It's always someone else's fault...NO, I have charge of my life. I have ownership of my life.

She went on to say...we use situations, thoughts, people...these all formed us and we use these as mirrors of our own worth. Sometimes...SOMETIMES, these reflections weren't accurate of who we REALLY are...but, we took in those reflections as truth.

If you want to know why we are in these situations today, look back 10, 15, 30 years before and see what SEEDS were planted in our lives that grew and developed and were nourished to create these situations.

In my case, I know that Smokey's "infection of negativity/lack of faith/soul sickness" eventually infected my own life...I allowed that.

Look at the measures being taken to prevent Ebola from spreading into the U.S. Look at how cautious they are being with these two patients to prevent the further spread of this disease...What if I had been that careful with what thoughts/beliefs/situations I allowed in my life...so I wouldn't be infected...

There are some people in our lives that (according to this pastor)...we need to forget what they look like.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Wonka, where are you?

I received some more specifics on the editor jobs/jobs. Still kinda vague.

Quote:
Heather:

A lot of these answers await firming up of our plans. I’ll do the best I can:

1. Ag publication is twice monthly. At this juncture, we’d like to maintain that frequency. It is called Empire Farmer; the weekly is the Jefferson County Journal. Don’t bother looking for their websites – there are none. Here is a link to our story on this: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20140801/NEWS03/140809935

2. We have no clear picture of staffing. But I think you can presume that there will be no “specialty” reporters assigned to either publication. Likewise, we have not firmed up production needs but we have a central production facility in Watertown and our other weekly papers receive assistance in page creation. Empire Farmer will likely be entirely done through our production crew, but the editor will be expected to direct traffic.

3. Page count of current publications is not really relevant. We intend to see what each publication can support.

4. I cannot predict salary. It will depend on how the position is structured, what the work load will be and what the successful candidate’s experience is. The company offers paid vacation and sick leave, a 401-k retirement plan, health and dental insurance, a life insurance policy. We are an equal opportunity employer.

5. There is no company policy on relocation compensation. Other management candidates have brought the issue up as a negotiations item.

6. There will be a separate advertising staff. We do not yet know what title the person who directs this operation will have; it will be commensurate with the responsibilities.

Hope this helps.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
A library called to schedule an interview in the heart of Amish Country. Same area that I was looking at before...A full-time position.

G
G
Amish Country.

Now you're in my neck of the woods....

smile

Me 54 Him 63
M 23 T 29
0 Kids
Funny Farm of Rescues
12/12 OW--
5/13 ILYBINILWY: A denied
9/13 Proof OW: ENDED
2/14 Got D papers on my BD
I kicked him out for my sanity
9/14 He wants to "talk"?

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Actually, GG, I'm already there! The library is where the wealthy Amish live...thriving in tourism...we live near the Po' Amish. :-)

G
G
Hmmmm... maybe we're neighbors?

Me 54 Him 63
M 23 T 29
0 Kids
Funny Farm of Rescues
12/12 OW--
5/13 ILYBINILWY: A denied
9/13 Proof OW: ENDED
2/14 Got D papers on my BD
I kicked him out for my sanity
9/14 He wants to "talk"?

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ohio?

M
M
Hi Heather,
If you want to hear something kinda sick, my W, when she has heard those type of things said, uses it for justification for leaving her M. She figures that if I'm not around to blame for her being unhappy, then she will only have herself to blame for it. Instead of her thinking that blaming me is just wrong headed, she thinks "Well, I'll be on my own and there won't be anyone else around so I won't be able to say it's someone else's fault". It's like she has invested so much into my being the cause of her problems it's easier to just run away then to stop and change that way of thinking. Of course the problem there is she will still find a way to either keep blaming me or find new people or things as her reason.

It's the easy way. The cowards way. The selfish way. Run away from the people and things that you have used to justify your lack of joy. If things change than you were right all along and you don't have to face that you were at all at fault. It's like just after B-day when my W's "friends" were saying that if she's sure that she wants to leave her M then she needs to "be strong" and do it. Well, no. What they were actually saying was "Be weak", don't try and fix the mess you made, take the easy way and run away! Like her father saying that hiding money was "empowering" in some way.

My W has said that she needs to leave so she can "find my joy". What she is doing is hurting so many people, ruining lives, causing so much pain to her own kids. If, by destroying her family and causing so many innocents so much hurt, she is able to find that joy, how can she truly enjoy it knowing that the cost was paid by so many people that loved and trusted and counted on her? To me it would be like foreclosing on her own kids so she can have the nice big house they worked hard to get. How could you enjoy living there knowing that you hurt someone else, someone who loved and trusted you totally, so badly to get it cheap?

We hear that sermon you talked about and we hear that it is our responsibility to do the work, to be disciplined and if we are blaming someone or something else, to stop and do the hard work. The MLCer hears it and thinks "Once I get rid of the cause of all my pain, I'll be sure to do just that in the future". My W wants "ownership of her life", she has said as much. But for her the only to get that is to run away from her current life completely and start over. The idea of doing the work needed to repair the damage she herself caused is too much, too daunting to consider. It doesn't matter who else gets hurt or how much more damage she causes anyone else as long as she can just be rid of the past and try again. No icky looking at what she may have done to cause her pain or the breakdown of the M. Like she said about how what she is doing will hurt the girls.."We all hurt our kids, they'll get over it". It may take years and so much pain but hey, at least SHE won't have to do any work!

Sorry to hijack but as I was reading something just like that sermon this weekend, this is what came to mind.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
No apology necessary.

I really think MLC takes the pain element of this to another level. If you have no spiritual foundation or strong sense of self--which of course you wouldn't if you didn't have some validation/support as a child--then, I can see the pain being all-consuming.

Honestly, from what I've read here and elsewhere...the pain and fear is so utterly devastating that it creates a fight or flight response on the part of the MLC-er. Not to discount the damage done, but I'm not sure we, LBS-er's, have a clear understanding of how much pain they are in...

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard