Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
T
T
Excellent news!!!!

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

Uncertainty is the very condition which impels people to unfold their powers.-Eric Fromm

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I know, RIGHT?!!!

Can you believe that shid?

So, how do I do salary negotiating and stuff? I have been outta this loop for a very long time.

He was really impressed with my resume. I guess maybe I need to send a few more out. Jeez. Who knew?

There's a position in Sun Valley, Idaho where they need someone with a background in writing, reporting, blogging and education. It's not seeming so far-fetched now.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
T
T
I would start with a search for salaries for the position in general, and then for the area the job is in. And the how-to? Do a search, there are many excellent articles from many business sites.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

Uncertainty is the very condition which impels people to unfold their powers.-Eric Fromm

W
W
Heather,

I'll take your coffee cake offer! I really like 'em. smile

It is good to see that you're processing your patterns, responses, habits, and behaviors in respect to your FOO issues on top of the marriage's dynamic. I can tell you that it is definitely a learned behavior and they CAN BE unlearned. Your brainwaves need time to learn new patterns and I read that it takes consistent changes for 30 or more days before it settles in. Hmmmmm...

In regard to the editing job, I would step back and take a careful stock of what you really, really desire. My concern is that you're probably grasping at that job JUST because it pops up on your radar without giving your needs careful consideration. I am NOT saying you cannot do this job.

My line of thought is to take factors into consideration such as:

-cost of living ratio
-geographically appropriate
-good job growth (increase in salary)
-good retirement plan
-opportunities for expansion
-transportation
-support system

Is there any possibility of doing some editing work from where you are at the moment? I would want to try to get my feet wet first before making that big jump. You just don't know what's behind the reason they're looking for an editor. There's always a caveat behind those types of things.

Eyes wide open, Heather.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks T. I will look up some articles.

Wonka,

Do I ask the questions about salary, retirement, opportunities, etc...BEFORE I make the trip up there?

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

W
W
Heather...where is it at?

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Jefferson County, New York. It's about six hours away.

job Offline
Heather,
Wonka has given you excellent advice. You will also need to check on housing because it may be quite expensive there.

I think I would ask the gentleman for more information before making the trip. He didn't mention salary when you spoke to him? You will need to ask him if the company will pay relocation expenses. Some places do and others don't...so ask...don't assume anything.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
W
W
My first step would be to do online research about the city, county and its surrounding area to learn more about the area. Look at it very objectively. Moving away is a lot of work and it needs to be something that you need to take into careful consideration.

When salary negotiations occur, it means that there's a fit and the likelihood of taking the job is just the icing on the cake. I would want to table salary discussions until you learn more about the ranges in that particular city/area.

A good measure would be to look up the New York's state personnel department to get sense of the salary ranges for each county. A lot of the times you can see the position title, city/county of location, and the salary ranges. This should give you an idea for Jefferson County.

G
G
^^^^^

What Wonka and Job said. Congrats on receiving some bites on your resume. You can always go to a site like salary.com to see what the pay range might be. That area is a bit rural but the cost of living may be lower as well. Sun Valley might be a bit more expensive.

And yes, definitely ask about relocation assistance. Here's the deal, Heather. It never hurts to ask. I'm a sales director and in addition to me asking for the world, I've had clients do the same. Don't be afraid. What's the worst thing they can say? What you say? That's right. No. But let's think big:-)

Glad you had a nice bubble bath. I love me some Marshall's.

Last edited by Georgiabelle; 08/01/14 09:40 PM.

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard