Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
T
T
YAY!!!

That's awesome Heather...I bet you are breathing a wee bit easier. smile

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

Uncertainty is the very condition which impels people to unfold their powers.-Eric Fromm

G
G
Heather,

Congrats on getting the jeep fancied up at such a great price and on the job! It may not be what you want forever, however keep looking and I get something that fits the bill opens up.

Give yourself a pat on the back!

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
M
M
Congrats Heather!
This can give you some breathing room while you keep looking for the dream job! All your hard work is starting to pay off! Keep moving forward and never look back! Heck, hearing that you got the job made my day brighter!

job Offline
Congratulations on getting the jeep work done at a very reasonable price and also for getting the Kohl's job. This is a fresh start for you. It may not be much in the way of $$$, but it will get your feet wet, put you out in the public and yes, making some money. You've needed a change of scenery for quite some time and this just might help you w/your pma.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks guys! Yes, some pressure is off. A little bit.

It felt so wonderful being in this store where I didn't know ANYONE. I felt free!

No one knew me. I was anonymous :-) No chance of my mom, MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and any of the other thousands of people in town who have used our situation as gossip fodder...Not one of many crowds that have been told by my inlaws that I'm keeping the kids away from their dad and that it has to do with my OWN issues with MY DAD. :-)

This is awesome for me right now. I feel like I can rebuild my self-esteem in a safe place.

It's roughly a 30 minute drive. Now, I need to figure out a car. I'm praying hard. Another vehicle would help things out tremendously right now.

The job is part-time...they only hire part-time to start...but, there are full-time jobs available. There was a very good vibe...very friendly and family-like. And, there's good dental insurance for part-timers...This will help with D20. If it's really good, I could put D11 on it and it could alter the dissolution proposal :-)

I'm picking up speed folks.

Last edited by LoisB; 07/30/14 06:02 PM.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So the teenage boy I was tutoring at my home needs tutored in HIS home now because he was discovered being sexually inappropriate with his 10-year-old cousin. Charges have been filed and there's an investigation in the works.

The mother desperately wants me to continue tutoring him. He was always a really difficult student and I gave her a deal by charging her $375 per month for three full days of tutoring here.

I'm considering charging her $400 per month for coming to THEIR home 6 hours per week and providing coaching/structure and off-day follow ups. When I figure out my $25 per hour rate at 6 hours it comes to $600 which seems a little extravagant. But, on the other hand, this boy is a threat to other children and he is very, very difficult to work with...In addition, he contributed a big threat to my business and I had to switch gears/lose a month's tuition because of this situation.

I've decided I'm cool with being at their home for a 2 hour stretch of time, 3 x's each week...If my retail schedule doesn't allow three days of 2 hours each, then I can double up on 3 hours, 2 x's a week.

Any thoughts? This is a tough one.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

job Offline
Heather,
I would start out at $450 and if they don't like that, then lower it to $400, but not a penny lower. You are using your vehicle, gas and time to travel to this child's residence as well as working w/him, etc.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
S
S
Congrats on Kohl's! I'm so happy for you!

It sounds like you are a great influence on this boy, and mom sees the value in your tutoring relationship with her son, and your ability to deal with his challenges.

I don't know much of the background. I do know what it's like to have a big heart, and want to help people I care about, sometimes to the point of sacrificing my own needs and settling for less than I should. I don't know whether you do this too, but I don't know any special needs tutors that are in it for the money. You have to have a passion for this, or you couldn't do it.

Here is what I would consider:

What is best /most important right now for YOU?
Are your needs mainly financial? Does tutoring give you a great sense of value and accomplishment? Do you need more time for yourself?

What causes the most stress for YOU?
Having to travel and tutor away from your home? Making less money? Spreading yourself too thin? Working with a challenging student?

Other than the inconvenience, is it costing you more than the up-charge would cover to travel to their home? (Mileage, time, gas, etc)

Are you losing other students by being unavailable those days?

Could this cause you to limit your hours at Kohl's?

Are you agreeing to continue tutoring this boy because if you don't do it, you fear no one else will? Obligated?

If the commitment to one student, at the reduced rate of $400 (around $15/hr?) is keeping you from working with other students at $25/hour... Are the other "payoffs" worth the difference? (You like him, it's rewarding, etc.)

Sometimes they are. Sometimes, meh.

Just throwing stuff out there....I don't know any answers smile

M44, H44, both M before
M4 yrs, T6
BD 7/13 ILYB something isn't right with me
H att suicide 2/14
S 4/14
OW disc 5/14
D final 4/15
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for dropping by Shining! And, thanks for all the thoughts and insight. I really appreciate it.

Job,

I asked for $450 and got it. :-)

B
B
Heather, congratulations on getting a job at Kohl’s. It is also great that you got agreement on the fee for the tutoring that boy. The things are looking up! I’m happy for you!

M:50
H:52
S28 (my S from previous marriage)
M:17 + 3
BD: 06/12
S: 06/12 - H works in another state
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard