Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:

Voice Over: What kind of money is there in idioting?
Manager: Well nowadays a really blithering idiot can make anything up to ten thousand pounds a year - if he's the head of some big industrial combine. But of course, the more old-fashioned idiot still refuses to take money.

(We see Figgis handing over a cheque to cashier; cashier pushes across a pile of moss, pebbles, bits of wood and acorns.)

Manager: He takes bits of string, wood, dead budgerigars, sparrows, anything, but it does make the cashier's job very difficult; but of course they're fools to themselves because the rate of interest over ten years on a piece of moss or a dead vole is almost negligible.

A clerk appears at door of bank.

Clerk: Mr Brando.
Manager: Yes?
Clerk: Hollywood on the phone.
Manager: I'll take it in the office.

Cut to a woodland glade.

Voice Over: But Mr Figgis is no ordinary idiot. He is a lecturer in idiocy at the University of East Anglia. Here he is taking a class of third-year students.

(Half a dozen loonies led by Figgis come dancing through the glade singing tunelessly. They are wearing long University scarves.)

Voice Over: After three years of study these apprentice idiots receive a diploma of idiocy, a handful of mud and a kick on the head.

(A vice-chancellor stands in a University setting with some young idiots in front of him. They wear idiot gear with BA hoods. One walks forward to him, he gets a diploma, a face full of mud and stoops to receive his kick on the head. Cut to happy parents smiling proudly.)

Voice Over: But some of the older idiots resent the graduate idiot.
Old Idiot: I'm a completely self-taught idiot. I mean, ooh arh, nob arhh, nob arhh .... nobody does that anymore. Anybody who did that round here would be laughed off the street. No, nowadays people want something wittier.

(Wife empties breakfast over him. Cut to idiot falling repeatedly off a wall.)

I'm considering Idioting as a profession. I'm completely self-taught.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Goals:

1. Put God's Will First. Trust God. Focus on each day as it comes and Take Joy! from each day.
2. Take care of my health (mental and physical).
3. Give my kids the things and time they deserve.
4. Face Each Day's Tasks HONESTLY and Pro-actively. Keep up my ToDo list of things to tackle today and in the near future.
5. Enjoy the contentment with my life that comes from working on the first four goals: travel, fun, friends, family...TAKE JOY!

Specific Sub-Goals:
Have a reliable car I'm proud to drive by Christmas of 2014.
Earn at least $60,000 per year by December, 2015...or sooner.

Last Thread: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2458345#Post2458345

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Strangely, starting this new thread...helped my anxiety level some.

I feel humbled by my circumstances right now. And, I'm trying to trust that God knows what He's doing. I hope. Really, really, really hoping.

Recap:

I'm broke. I have a little business where I tutor kids...mostly kids with learning disabilities and/or behavioral issues. I started this business because I homeschool my D11 who is on the Autism Spectrum. I have had a difficult time getting clients in the door, but have made it by the skin of my teeth. My kids, however, are tired of the parade of weird kids coming into our home. I'm tired of it too. I wouldn't mind continuing what I started, but on a much smaller scale...part-time in the evenings or maybe with some workshops here and there.

I've got one particularly creepy kid right now and he is making it clear that I can't continue to do this, in my home, at this level. Both the kids and I want to strangle him. I think he may be the first kid I've worked with where I simply want to call him Lazy and call it a day...a real brat...learning disability or no.

Still, based upon some conversations with D11 and some exploration of what is available for her schooling...I'm still convinced that schooling her at home/in a coop is the best thing for her right now. How to make that happen?

I want to be in a position to homeschool her or have her in a coop in addition to having her participate in some extra-curricular activities. I want to be able to afford getting her involved in things outside of the home.

I have a background in writing. It went on the backburner for a time and I never pursued it the way I could...but, I'm a good writer and could build a career.

D20 is a volatile, bright, selfish teen who always seems to put her needs first. She is pushing me to get things in place FOR HER so she can go back to school this fall. I've tapped into some of her college fund and that is hanging heavily over my head right now. It's been a burden that is eating at me.

We also still owe the $2,500 that He Who Must Not Be Named refused to pay last semester. She can't schedule classes until this is paid.

Still, 2.5 years since bomb drop and his leaving...dealing daily with the pain of this marriage ending and how it ended. It's better than it was. Much better. Yet, starting the dissolution process has brought some pain back to the surface. There's still shock.

Part of me is still lost in disbelief at the insensitivity and selfishness. I've also been feeling some anger over the fact that I'm in this position when it was so easy for He Who Must Not Be Named to START OVER at the lakeside resort where my family held many family reunions and he was able to do it with the support/love of his Soulmate. And, I helped him get settled.

Have my resume up to date.

I have a networking event tonight at a pricey restaurant about an hour away. I'm hoping I can get there and avoid the highway because my car is so iffy.

I've joined a technical writing community and I'm putting my resume out there for any and all positions. I feel pretty open to anything right now, but I do have D11's needs weighing on my shoulders. I need something lucrative which affords me the opportunities to be flexible and able to really be there for her. She has made so much progress academically and I don't want to screw this up.

I've done some Internet networking and have someone willing to help guide me, but she is time limited and I'm sorta waiting until she is able. She did give me two leads. I will explore them today.

WHAT DO I WANT?? I answered some of what I want above. That really helped. I guess I do actually know what I want.

I want a life of my own.

I wonder if working independently as a freelancer vs. for a company is more/less lucrative? WONKA??

I know benefits are an issue...but, I see myself blending my skillset with a number of things. I just feel that this is where God is guiding me...in some avenue where I write/teach/consult altogether. Using the skills I've gathered along the way.

I'm going to a big homeschool bookfair tomorrow. I plan on gathering names/contacts of curriculum publishers to see what may be available for writing/editing jobs.

I also have some ideas for my own Language Arts curriculum.

I'm actually excited. Just scared about getting over this hump. I can do this. laugh

Last edited by LoisB; 06/20/14 02:19 PM.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Shut down the fear and let God be the guide. All is not lost.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This morning...I added my "introduction" to a group of STC members who started a Introduction email discussion group. Gave my info and my background.

I also sent my resume to a company someone suggested I look into. It's a company that sells software programs/educational programs for kids on the spectrum.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Oh, and have a few outfits picked out for tonight.

M
M
Good luck tonight, Heather!
You'll do great. I am in the process of doing the same thing you are here, listing out my goals for my new life...without W. For me it's harder than it should be because as my W went into depression and I was so under the gun, I used my M and Family as the thing that counted most, the thing that gave my life purpose and meaning. It's been so long since I thought about what I want, just for me. I've been so consumed by what I wanted for my kids and yes, even for my W. I knew she was unhappy. That the depression never really left and I was always trying to come up with ways to make HER happy and doing what SHE wanted to do. I don't think my W realizes just how it made ME feel when she would say that she didn't want to live or later that she always felt the depression there, just behind her waiting to take over again. I saw her as sick and it was my duty as her H to help her. In the end what I got for my troubles was ILYBNILWY.

As for where you are at financially, I was down to my last $200 this week with my wife refusing to even pay for gas for me to get to work. After all the years I worked while she didn't (or couldn't) she did this without a 2nd thought and planned on leaving me penniless while she went to live her new life adventure and at the same time knowing I had to take care of my oldest D18 full time and my youngest at least 50% of the time. Maybe she hoped that I would give up trying for custody? I do know it was what her father told her to do and she will do whatever he says she should. What she doesn't understand is all it is doing is making it so I am more inclined to ask for things that she never even thought about, like spousal support since she waited until she was the one who was making the money for the first time in 20 years to do this.

The point is, just when I thought there was nothing I could do but beg or borrow, some things I had been working on at my company came together and I made enough money to keep me going for the next few months at least. I don't think this is a coincidence. I have been working as hard as I can for awhile now so it wasn't that I tried harder or did something different. I believe it was meant to happen. That a HP (God in my case) saw that I made the effort, that I was doing the best I can and for the right reasons. Keep working, keep moving forward and you will make it as well, Heather!

What you do is something most people couldn't. It takes empathy for the kids that you have at your camp. It gives them something they have a hard time finding, someone who understands their special needs and has the skills to deal with them the way they need to be. That is a gift! The world needs more people like you Heather. You make a difference in the lives of kids that spend most of their lives feeling different or less than others and give them an opportunity to just be who they are and have fun.

Keep moving forward. Keep staying true to who you really are and things will come together for you! Will be sending positive vibes your way tonight and good luck!

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks Matt.

I hope this event is worth it tonight. I hate spending the money and time driving, but I will do it.

I sent out three resumes today and tutored my crappy student. He's such a PIA. I have him way too long too.

There's one more spot I'm going to send my resume today.

Thanks for the encouragement. :-)

Today was one of those days where I woke up overwhelmed and it helped to use the boards to break it down and get things done a chip at a time.

J
J
Heather- good luck tonight and with the continued job hunt.

I think we have a lot in common. I spent my early career working with museums and nob profits to design, programs for populations with special needs. Some of what I did was freelance and I loved it.

When I moved down south with h I fell into a job to pay the bills, got a promotion and got stuck. I went on a few interviews but there wasn't much call for what I do down here.

So, also living pay check to pay check, I cannot get s involved in much and I feel he is missing out.

Right now the program at his school is wonderful but ideally I would like to find a way to pay the bills and have a much more flexible schedule for his sake. I have also looked into the professional writing route but really don't know where to get started.

Good luck!

Me 44 H 42
M 10 T 12 (at time of BD)
Ss 20 16
S11 (special needs)

BD 9/13 H "unhappy for years" moves to seperate bedroom
10/13 EA/PA confirmed but denied
S and I move out 3/15
W
W
Heather,

You called me?! smile

I wonder if working independently as a freelancer vs. for a company is more/less lucrative? WONKA??

There are always pros and cons to both paths.

1) Freelancer: You set your own rates, hours, work from home, and set your own schedule. Downsides: You have to pay your own taxes on a regular schedule as a freelancer (LLC), need to market yourself constantly, need to fund your own healthcare plan (that is for single/divorced folks who are not under a family plan)

2) Owned by Others (company): Stability, steady flow of income, healthcare coverage, retirement nest, and collaborating with colleagues. Downsides: You follow company's guidelines/directives, reduced flexibility in some cases when it comes to work schedule, possible friction/tension with colleagues/superiors if there's disagreement or personality clash.

Now there are some other good options you might want to consider.

When looking through Meet-Up groups, you might want to expand your circle of network contacts that could potentially lead to a permanent employment. The types of groups you would want to look into are as follows:

Web Design
Entrepreneurs
Software developers
Business investors

I recall reading a few years ago that Staples had advertised for a technical writer at $50,000-$70,000 range.

Have you looked into organizations in Ohio such as:

-Autism Society of Ohio
-Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders
-Ohio Department of Education
-Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard