Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
A
A
Hi sgctxok,

I saw your post on my thread regarding the mentor program, I'm very flattered! Here's how I feel about it -- I'm already contributing the best way I think I can. In some cases I've tried to help people and just didn't click, so I can just slowly ease away because so many others are willing to pick it up.

In other cases, I can take people up to a certain point, but beyond that I feel I offer limited value. There are a lot of people whose sitch's were much worse than mine, had it go on for much longer, etc. I feel hypocritical offering them advice because I didn't walk that walk, if you know what I mean. I'll often find that once I get to a certain point a more experienced vet will come in and pick it up.

Finally, I don't really have any formal training. I like the fact that "all posters are created equal", because if I'm off base, others can correct me and there's nothing special about my status that suggests my posting should carry more weight.

For me DB was pretty great without the formal mentors, and I'm very happy to keep contributing (and getting help myself), but being formally paired isn't something I'm looking for right now. I end up helping on the threads where I really think I can help -- and that may not be the one I end up getting paired with.

I'd feel better about it if there was some kind of test, certification, or other hurdle to ensure that what I say and think really IS consistent with the advice you want given.

Thanks for a great site!

Accuray

Married 18, Together 20, Now Divorced
M: 48, W: 50, D: 18, S: 16, D: 12
Bomb Dropped (EA, D): 7/13/11
Start Reconcile: 8/15/11
Bomb Dropped (EA, D): 5/1/2014 (Divorced)
In a New Relationship: 3/2015
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, this isn't formal, your advice is great.

And we're all only capable of going so far.

This is really just a few days/few weeks, just some focus, but free-form.

We're just the teacher's aides, the TAs, the team leads, tour guide... But you definitely have skills for helping, so we appreciate your help wherever you do it.

sg
Love is PATIENT, love is KIND, LOVE never fails / DB since 2001
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
cat-
You said it better than I did.
sg

sg
J
JCJ Offline
J
SG - Just to say good to see you. There are a few things I read every now and again when I need to get 'centered' again and one of your posts to me is on that list. Thank you! Hope all is well!

M- May 2006
D - Aug 2010
Now travelling the world
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
JCJ

You rock. Seriously, I was thinking about you on the way home from work today and was thinking you'd be great, can't remember if I told you that yesterday or not.

How are you?

sg
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Kaffe Diem --

how about working with heartbrokeinsd?

sg
J
JCJ Offline
J
You did, and I had not checked in for a while and saw your post and it made me smile. I think this is a good idea because sometimes helping out in Newcomers is a bit overwhelming.

I am generally really good. I have just come back from backpacking round Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. I left the UK originally in April 2010 (I can't believe it!) and have had the *best* time. I am so happy that I got this opportunity and that I took the opportunity. I met amazing people including my boyfriend and saw amazing things.

Being back is a bit of a downer - having no job and living with my parents again who are great but I am 31 and haven't lived at home for over 10 years and it is stressful at home. But I am really ready to be back and explore new things here. I am writing some goals to get my motivation up for job hunting and identifying steps I need to take to achieve independence again.

How's you?

M- May 2006
D - Aug 2010
Now travelling the world
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
It's a gift though, to be able to check in at home and a gift to your parents that you are there, even temporarily. Especially with the many options life can bring.

I'm glad you're here (online).

Do you write?

sg
J
JCJ Offline
J
It's true, I am so lucky to be able to count this as my base. And I admit it is nice having my washing done for me too smile hee hee.

No, I don't write, it's not something I have ever tried.

M- May 2006
D - Aug 2010
Now travelling the world
A
AJM Offline
A
Zig, I didn't see a response here. One thing that stands out: your H is resistant to suggestions. That's likely true. But DB is about you first and then the marriage. My suggestion here? Focus on what you *can* change - you. Be the change you want to see in others without expectation. Seems Zen, but it really is what it is about. smile

AJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" MLK
Put the glass down...
"Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard