sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
How about Cadet and tonibertha?

sg
Love is PATIENT, love is KIND, LOVE never fails / DB since 2001
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: chatterbug
Is this not just circumventing the PM system of old. Will you make sure the poster and vet do not get emotionally involved.

What happens if the poster does not move forward or gets some advice that has some legal ramifications?

There is one huge flag with this system that I can see already.

You have someone who is posting what the view is at the top of the mountain to someone who has begun their climb. So most of words get lost in translation. As they have not reached that altitude yet. The vet gets frustrated because the view is clear looking down. The climber gets frustrated because they are climbing and cannot see the top.

One of the great things about DB is that you get people from all different view points and different mountains talking. People in different parts of the climb. It allows for more growth. As more than one person is learning and growing.

There is no know all see all seer. And those who are newer on this path post their knowledge and wisdom along with those who are further ahead.

And to be blunt. I have seen things like this start before here and when it needs support no-one is around from the site to help it out. So it just dies.

If you want to make something like this. Then why not create a new sub cat or put it where it should be "Staying Solution-Focused Workshop". Where it can be allowed to flourish or die and not take away the purpose of the newcomers area which is to post our stories.

I really appreciate your concerns.

PM was about personal contact outside the board, and this is not that. This is just focused running with a pacer. Or having one person dedicated to helping you move forward and make progress. This is remove the guru, and build the skillset of everyone.

About initiatives that die. You're right. Because one person can't carry it on. So a lot of stuff I start falls apart if my personal or work life doesn't allow it.

So don't let it die if you don't want it to. The onus is NOT on the DB staff. It's on contributers and what they want.

I have a personal interest in the DB skillset, so I try to help folks with that...when I can.

Why not take it on yourself?

DB Coaches are too busy with their personal clientele. As much as we'd love to see their active participation on the board...I've suggested it myself, it isn't going to happen.

So it's easy to be a naysayer....do the opposite...provide your own skillset, build your own skillset and take it to a new level.

sg
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Kaffe Diem
Alternatively, perhaps a coach to coach the mods to help coach the vets to coach the newbies?

and/or

a place for vets to place themselves in a volunteer role and a coach can make a request from a vet to support a newbie as the coach may feel the vet has the appropriate DB skillset to support the newbie.

Hi KD --

You would make a great mentor .... are you in?

sg
C
C
I will pass SG.

I believe it is better have have many posters's in the thread than just one. And I also believe you have an area already in the forums to do what your asking here.

I can see how you feel that this is being a naysayer. I feel it is not. Just a difference of opinion.

I wish you success. I will keep paying back to DB in my own way.

Take Care.

Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.
unconditional love is awesome!
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Whatever works best for you.

sg
~
~
Originally Posted By: sgctxok
Hi KD --

You would make a great mentor .... are you in?

uhhhhh... I'm a little worried about commitment... lol... grin

no, really though... this is an experiment, I'm guessing? Do our best and hope it works for everyone? I might be able to commit to one for now and promise to check and mentor once a day.

Actually, I will commit to ONE for now with a promise to check and respond once a day except on weekends. If that works...

~
~
cool I just hit 3000 posts...

errr... 3001, now... grin

R
R
SG I have mixed feelings about this. I think trying new things is good. But I don't see a road map. An experienced IC will tell u that in therapy there is a beginning, middle, and end to the work. And at the end what the product would look like. In addition the notion of newbies vs old timers to me makes no sense. I have read some great posts by newbies and crappy ones by old timers. Than again this is not a perfect science. But my biggest concern is assigning old timers who get DB to a particular person. I think they will spend most of their time following that one person and neglecting newcomers. That would be detrimental. Let's face it the pattern here is that many LBS are controlling and perfectionist. Give them a task and what will happen?

Just my 2 cents

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Rick -

It completely depends on participants who want to work together and be solution oriented. It isn't a canned program.

If you want to participate and feel you need guidance, I will help you. I'm not sure where you see yourself as newbie or vet...and that's fine. You've been around long enough to have some wisdom here and something to offer.

And EVERYONE here (including vets) can use advice or learn from others from time to time.

sg
C
C
I actually think I like the way this is shaping up.

At least I have read two posters whose threads I haven't come across before...

New ideas are always good and sometimes the forums seem to lack a little balance.

I see where Sg is going with this, and I understand those who have concerns.

If I'm interperating this correctly...

Just because someone is a mentor/mentee...

Doesn't limit the mentee to only receiving input from the mentor (except maybe on the specified thread), although most of us know or learn quickly how to pull quotes to other threads if we choose.

It also doesn't limit the mentor to only posting to the mentee...

Additionally, there is a significant lack of "vets" on these boards right now in comparison to the amount of "newbies" and I think this may be a way to try to draw some vets out of the woodwork...

As Sg stated, we are usually around.

I, for one, have been guilty of reading and wanting to post to someone and just not getting to it. Life gets in the way sometimes...

Any particular vet taking on too many mentees would not be advisable for that reason. Because as Kaffe stated it will be a commitment, even if it is a short one.

As a work in progress, if a mentee gets to a place where the vet is lacking, I would love to see someone else with the appropriate skill set be able to step in.

Because even if we don't want to believe it, even as vets, we ALL still have areas where we could use work.

Rick, this should ease your concerns regarding the "therapy-beginning, middle, end" thing. This isn't therapy, in any sense. It is simply a micro version of what happens here on the boards every day.

SG, you and the people who have volunteered have peaked my interest. I will let you know if I feel I can help. I just need to read a little more...

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard