Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30
S
S
I thought she didn't have immigrant status or a work permit and that is why they were able to take advantage of her. If she does - she should have been entitled to much better work conditions.

Barb

W
OP Offline
W
She has an open work permit which means she can work anywhere. She isn't under the Live in Caregiver program any longer, that's a two year contract. She's been with this employer for four years. They've offered her eight hours on Saturday's but she doesn't want to do it. She wants to move on. Last night we reviewed ads on the internet for live in caregivers but she's more interested in working through the agency that her best friend works for, which is just manual labour type jobs. We'll see. The positive side to this is that she does have money stashed away (about 30 grand that I'm aware of) so she can afford not to have a job for a little while. She has a friend who offered her a room a while back but that friend is presently in the Philippines and won't be back till the end of May. If worse comes to worse I might be able to arrange for her to stay at my Mom's for a bit. Mom has a big house and is alone. We'll see.

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
W
OP Offline
W
...and as far as working conditions, these ladies are scared to put up a fuss about anything because they're afraid it will hurt their application for Permanent Status. She won't apply for EI because she's heard that it will effect her application as well. Her employers are giving her vacation pay, as the legally have to, and with any luck (she's not counting on it) they will give her some kind of bonus for her four years of service. Again, we'll see.

W
OP Offline
W
Well, SDA Lady has put the feelers out into the Filipino community and as of last night she has been offered three places she can stay by friends. She's also been given numbers for employment agencies which others have used. She was in good spirits last night, talking about the nice friends she has...and, of course, how lucky she is to have me. Her church friends are also going to put word out today and we'll see what comes from that. At least she won't be homeless...or staying with me (as he lets out a huge sigh of relief!). I'd offered that if nothing else came up she would be welcome to stay short term with me. She was against that, "what would your children think!" Besides, she said, my grocery bill for fruit would be huge if she stayed with me lol.
Tonight I'm going out with Voldy and the girls to celebrate D15's birthday, which was Wednesday. Weather is beautiful today!

W
OP Offline
W
This morning I woke up at 5:30 am with a headache. I was supposed to go at 9 to a four hour church orientation at an evangelical church I like but four hours and a headache seemed a bad combo. I went to the chiropractor and then decided I had time to go to the SDA Church I go to on Saturday's some weeks. Now, the SDA is very conservative and everybody dresses up for church. So Whatis waltzed in with T-shirt and jeans...hey, God didn't give a sh!t, why should they! I texted SDA Lady "Hey, I'm at Willowdale SDA...and I'm wearing jeans. I'm a rebel!" she replied "...and sneakers too I'll bet!" Wow, how'd she know lol.

W
OP Offline
W
Hm, SDA Lady just texted me "Employer juz approached me, she's changed her mind." I replied "is she offering u better hours?" and SDA Lady said "Yes, I'm so happy! I'll call tonight" Wow, SDA Lady played hardball and employer buckled. She probably couldn't stand the thought of doing her own housework lol. Can't wait to hear the details.

M
M
Woo hoooooo!

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

W
OP Offline
W
SDA Lady will now be working Monday to Friday 7 am - 5 pm (reduced from 7 am -8:30 pm) with Saturdays and Sundays off. She also told them that she would be no longer be doing work in her room after hours, what isn't done will wait till the next day.They agreed to all her demands. She's a happy camper tonight!

W
OP Offline
W
She was working 73 hours per week! And yes, that leaves more time for us too...hooray!

S
S
Ummm - my reply seems to have disappeared. Anyway - WAY TO GO!

Barb

Page 23 of 30 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 29 30

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard