Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38
Drew #1893788 12/14/09 07:47 PM
S
S
Not turning in homework is a universal problem and does not make your kid a freak. LOL. I know from professional experience! As a parent I hate homework because my kids are busy outside of school with sports and other activites. I as a teacher don't give very much hw because I feel the parent's pain!

As far as big brothers, kids fighting, and being glad you were an only child... makes me laugh. One would think with my kiddos being almost 5 years apart and one a boy and one a girl that the fighting wouldn't be bad,right? HAHA I feel like every weekend I need a referee's jersey and a whistle. The only effective way I've found thus far to deal with the fighting is to play on my S9's sense of humor. I'll tell him stuff like, just go ahead and fight to the death and the last one left is my favorite kid, or that I'm gonna drop one of them off at the fire station down the road. He usually jokes back and the fighting stops. Ugggg.... sibling fighting has to be the bane of a parent's daily existence!

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."
Robert Collier

"One's best success often comes after their greatest disappointments."
Henry Ward Beecher

me 33, s 9, d 4
SoCo #1893806 12/14/09 08:07 PM
S
S
My daughter doesn't turn in her homework either. I get the progress report and ask about it and she pulls it out of her notebook and shows it to me. WTH? I asked how hard it was to turn it in...I just don't understand it.

I have to admit my sister and I fought all the time. We are 16 months apart and she hated me growing up. I used to sleep with a tennis raquet because she once told me that she would beat me up while I was sleeping. She was bigger and meaner than me. I would run screaming and hide behind my mom. One day when she was 18 and I was 17 (yes, we were old enough to know better) she hit me and I got mad. I finally hit back. After 15 minutes of my mom screaming, us breaking her marbletop table and me punching my sister in the stomach and ripping her earring out of her ear she has never hit me again. We actually got along after that.

My girls are almost 3 years apart and for the most part get along great. About 5 years ago when they were 11 and 14 they kept arguing and hitting each other so I went out and bought boxing gloves, moved the furniture and told them to go at it. They looked at me like I had lost my mind. Since then I haven't had any major problems with them getting along. Now they are almost 16 and 19 and are best friends.

Sometimes being a parent is so exhausting.

C
C
O.K., I do owe you an apology. You had a point there. I shouldn't have said what I did about the circling words. It did sound as if no matter what you said I wouldn't believe you.
And though I know it really doesn't matter if I do or don't...well, it was "heavy handed" on my part.

Re-reading the post, and now knowing it had to do with Mach, well, it makes sense. I guess that is the trouble with putting something out there to make a point without really making the point.

For the record, though...I did email you. Twice. And I sent you a message thru Craig, telling you thank you for your part in getting me to the point where my XH looked at me and said, "I want to work on us." I kinda thought that was a biggie, and when you never responded......

For the record, I give my best advice when things are not going well for me. It doesn't make me a hypocrite. It is easier to look into someone else's situation and see clearly what you can't/won't/don't want to see in your own.

Instead of being p'ed off, look on the bright side.

People care.

CMNM #1893869 12/14/09 08:58 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Oh, I got that people care, just in a ham fisted sort of way. : )

I am not delusional, I am not lying to myself, nor am I posting smoke up your ass I am fine so that folks here keep up their good spirits. It struck me, that there was only one option on the table, and that view was the only correct view.

BTW, you should check your email. If nothing is in it, then there most certainly is a problem and might be the reason past me not doing well in replying to people. Which I'll admit, I sukc at.

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. - C.S. Lewis

Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B. - Jack3Beans

Listen without defending; Speak without offending - FaithinAK

TRUST THE PROCESS - Cadet

C
C
Quote:
It struck me, that there was only one option on the table, and that view was the only correct view.

Would you believe, I get that one a lot... blush

OK, OK,
I am a million billion times sorry.

And I will again remind myself, what I want cannot always be what is... no matter how much I try to force it.

Super fly cool?

job Offline
So, Jack,
What do the little ones want for Christmas this year? Do you and your family have any special plans?

There are times when the internet will take what you send and spin it around and around the Mother Ship.

I had no problem receiving my message.

S
S
Quote:
Am I upset? Only with the way you made this so your opinion was the only logical conclusion. Heavy handed.

Wow, and you told me to quit being5 so sensitive...hmmmmm

I was only asking out of concern because something was not sitting right for me with reading your stuff lately. I didn't say it had to be about your marriage.

Not having the finances to get your kids all their wishes sucks dude. I understand that better then you know right now.

Your oldest is not doing well in school, and you seem to be the primary parent right now as far as school work goes, that can be challenging.

Young ones not understanding the word no, yep yep yep... they all go through that.

Being a parent is tough Jack, it can be overwhelming at times especially when your stressed by the economy, limited time with your spouse, and the fact that raising kids is tough.

I will call you to discuss the rest because it will be better that way. I do want to point out that I am not the only one who saw something......

Ian

M- 48
XW- mentally 17
KIDS- 3- S19, D23, D28
Married- 17 years
Divorce final- 10/16/09

J
OP Offline
J
Yes Ian, that would actually be VERY cool.

You're correct you aren't the only one. You're also correct that you didn't say it was about my marriage, did I jump wrong, seemingly. I am also not the only one who drew that conclusion.

Snodderly is absolutley correct it is far to easy to misread text.

I know that people care. For that I am honored.

My posting changed...maybe because I normally don't interact with peers. And let me be clear, my peers to me around here consist of those who were my support group when I first landed here. Those people who I do not believe consider me to be a wise one...as Ian can attest too wink So, yeah my posting is alot different.

What are my kiddos getting?
They both wanted an Xbox 360.
This Christmas my boys are going to learn that quality doesn't usually mean quanity.

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. - C.S. Lewis

Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B. - Jack3Beans

Listen without defending; Speak without offending - FaithinAK

TRUST THE PROCESS - Cadet

C
C
Jack,

Quality over quantity is a wonderful lesson for children to learn.

As my son has grown from a child to a teenager, his list has not really gotten any shorter but the requests, they have gotten bigger and much more expensive.

The first year, I felt really badly that he got less in the quantity department, but I learned that that was my issue not his as he opened his gifts and got the bigger things that he had asked for.

Now, this year, there are going to be less than ten gifts under the tree, but two of them are major. I still have a bit of “guilt” or whatever you want to call it about that, but I know on Christmas morning, he won’t.

Besides, it really isn’t about the gifts anyway, and maybe that is a message we all need to start to remember a bit more. The world has changed since we were kids my friend.

And the homework thing, mine is homeschooled and it is still an issue, so that too may be more of the age and a boy thing that we just have to shake our heads at and deal with.

Merry Christmas

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
job Offline
Jack,
Sometimes we have to put the brakes on the spending and gift giving. It's okay. Children do not really know the value of a dollar and just how far or little it will stretch. He'll be disappointed, but you know what? I'm sure you'll find something else for him to focus on.

Take care and know that everything will fall into place. I have faith in you!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard