Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182038 09/26/03 12:11 PM
L
LAOZMO Offline OP
OP Offline
L
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY (INCLUDING OVARIES) EFFECTS A WOMANS SEXUAL DESIRE? WIFE HAD SURGERY 11 YEARS AGO. FOR A FEW MONTHS FOLLOWING HER DESIRE LEVEL INCREASED. THEN IT JUST DISAPPEARED. SHE SAYS SHE NOW HAS NO DESIRE, NO SEXUAL THOUGHTS OR FANTASIES, AND NO AROUSAL WHEN WE DO MAKE LOVE OCCASIONALLY.IS THIS COMMON? IS THERE ANY REMEDY FOR THIS?

Hi LAOZMO

Saw your thread and felt I had to answer. I think it varies from woman to woman. If you have a total hysterectomy HRT can help after the surgery. So, to answer your question - no, the problem you have is not as common these days and there might be a medical reason (hormones or perhaps it's painful) for the lack of drive which your doctor can help with but only if your W is amenable to the suggestion. You should try and find out (gently) what her feelings are before booking a doctor's appointment as she may feel pressured and resist your help.

The other reason could be a mental one - your W might feel less of a woman because of the surgery. But 11 years is a long time to wait for help and there are plenty of websites out there which can give you more information. In the meantime, have you read DR? There is a very good chapter on incompatible sex drives.

Good luck.

Take care, Sara.
P
P
I read of a study recently using testosterone therapy on women without ovaries. The women wore a testosterone patch for six months. The women reported an 81% increase in satisfying sexual activity and a 66% increase in sexual desire. Side effects: increased facial hair. Maybe worth looking into. Good luck, Patsi

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard