Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
the attorneys ususally know best - they have no emotional investment - gave a lot to my ex and regretted it years later - they just want more.

F
OP Offline
F
I think that's kind of where I'm at christienick. My plan is to talk to the paralegal tomorrow with the attitude that I hired legal counsel and I'm going to follow thier lead. I don't want any of my wife's money... but this is HER divorce, not mine. So maybe she SHOULD be paying for the whole thing?

Wife's Age: 28
Relationship: 10 Years (dated on and off)
Married: Less than one year
Seperated: 1.75 years, finally served with D 4/30/2011
J
JMC Offline
J
Originally Posted By: christienick
the attorneys ususally know best - they have no emotional investment - gave a lot to my ex and regretted it years later - they just want more.

I agree. My D will be final three years in July. We used one attorney (house was sold and daughter was out of college), and while she did take half of the credit card debt and give me back the engagement diamond (it was in the family), I still had to take on other bills and split the sttorney fees. It took me about two years and I do not know if things would have been different had I gotten my own counsel, but for the past nine months or so it has been a regret. It just burns me that someone can have multiple affairs, put me at risk for STD and I get stuck with the majority of the bills because I make more money.

Anyway, I would listen to your attorney as they have seen this before and are removed emotionally from the scene.

Me: 48
Ex-W: 45
M: Nov '96, together since Oct 93
Bomb: on 10-yr anni - Nov '06
OM
Separated: mid-Feb '07
Divorced mid-July '08
One daughter - 28
XW living w/OM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks JMC. Good advice. The more I think about it, the more I do in fact want her to pay for the whole thing. It is HER divorce after all. She's very well off with an inheritance from her grandparents, and I'm just scraping by with a part time job these days.

F
OP Offline
F
Got my disclosure statement in the mail today. Yikes! This is like the financial equivilent of A Tale of Two Cities! Fortunately I have until June 17 to figure it out, so I'm going to not worry about it for one weekend and enjoy my memorial day weekend trip to Nashville.

F
OP Offline
F
Heard from my attorney today. He talked to W's attorney who agreed that our case was/should be very simple and drew up a settlement agreement that I'm going to get in the mail soon. My fingers are crossed that this agreement is going to be VERY reasonable and I can get this all over and done with painlessly and move on with my summer and my life.

I'll take any thoughts and prayers that my W is in a sane/resonable frame of mind about this divorce! Even if I end up paying attorney fees out of my own pocket, it's worth it if this document can put a big fat nail in this coffin once and for all.

F
OP Offline
F
Just read over the settlement. In a nutshell seems like...

My stuff is still my stuff.
Her stuff is still her stuff.
We're each responsible for our attorney fees.

I wouldn't call it justice but I can live with it. Feeling kind of relieved about the whole thing. Now I just need to get some cheapo medical coverage and hopefully I can start really enjoying my summer.

C
C
congrats!

C
C
congrats!

J
JMC Offline
J
Sounds like you came out alright. Better than I.

Me: 48
Ex-W: 45
M: Nov '96, together since Oct 93
Bomb: on 10-yr anni - Nov '06
OM
Separated: mid-Feb '07
Divorced mid-July '08
One daughter - 28
XW living w/OM
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard