Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1886321 12/03/09 09:18 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Okay, after taking some time (okay a lot of time) to settle myself down, I am back.

It took me a long time to start really DBing. So much so that our divorce is now on file. It will likely go through as planned, in fact, but I never needed to be married, specifically, just to be with the person I love most in the world... which is exactly what I'm working toward now.

I went on the rollercoaster for over a year, but we really just needed a lot of time apart. Time to think things through, time to accept that neither of us were perfect, etc. It seemed like I needed more time than him, but (as you'll soon read) I think he needed just as much time.

So I thought I was done. I thought I was moving on. I thought, this is it, you're a single mom now, time to change back to the maiden name and move forward with your life and, with the exception of visitations, forget you ever had another half.

Some of you will remember that my husband and I married young, had a child right after H graduated college... all those things that everyone tells you contributes quickly to divorce. Well, they were right, in many ways. We both missed out on our youth. I guess we both caught up pretty quickly and realized, separately, that we weren't missing much. I'll admit I got into the party scene, and I'm quite sure that he did as well. Then I get the call...

After months of refusing to give any information as to where he would be and who he would be with... "I'm going fishing down at **********'s lake house this weekend, so I'll be gone from (time) to (time)." My brain's response: "What? Are you the same guy that was crying for privacy and space for months now?" My actual response "Okay, thank you for letting me know."

The day following, overwhelmed with school-related issues, I decided to text him and tell him that I could finally sympathize with some of the things I didn't previously understand about his job/school early in our relationship. Not even 5 minutes later, the phone rings. It's ex Cautious and he wants to chatter for a bit. Firetruck drove past (I know, don't talk and drive!), abruptly ending conversation. I spilled guts to Best Friend Ever before returning the call later that evening. It was lukewarm, but not rude/rushed/any other negativity, ex was just distracted. Politely excused self from conversation and decided it was a fluke.

Fast forward to visitation next day. More school-related drama ends up spilling out of my mouth. I try to backpedal and excuse myself from conversation, ex tries to get the full story out and I end the conversation. I really don't want him to know too much at this point. Ends with a HUG, even some hand movement on ex's part. Fireworks going off in my brain. I make a quick exit before I say/do something stupid.

Visitation again and ex has been in my head ALL day. I call some girls for support off and on during the day, only to be met with "Be careful" "I am" was the lie of the day. In reality, I know I'm falling - hard - and if I'm misreading these signals, I will crash - HARD. Everything goes decently well, at least I think so. Ex forgets S5's bookbag and has to travel home and back (in snow) to return it. Another hug.

That was yesterday. Today, I start adding it all up in my head: Hug + hug + probing conversation = try to ask him out. Someone check my math, I probably forgot to divide by S5's shoe size or something. So, I'll admit I'm not totally oozing with confidence at this point (nothing but fighting and rejection for a year will do that to a person). I didn't have the guts to ASK... you know, verbally. So I texted: Would u like 2 have dinner with me?

5 minutes felt like 5 hours (swear I am back in high school again). The phone RANG. (Let me remind you this is the second time I've sent a text and recieved a phone call in return) Polite decline, with a repeated theme: Not today (my own emphasis added). Waiting until Sunday to extend a new invite, as convo went really well this evening.

So, I'm looking for a weigh in/someone to check my calculations. Am I reading the signals right? I know that it's long and probably hard to follow since my brain can't seem to sit still right now no matter what. If you need an explanation, I'll try my best, I'm kind of a sarcastic/humorous person so you have to take that into account as well.

Me: 26
Ex: 27
Son: 5

Divorced: 3/2010
Each day is another opportunity to do it right.
R
R
Quote:
I didn't have the guts to ASK... you know, verbally. So I texted: Would u like 2 have dinner with me?

5 minutes felt like 5 hours (swear I am back in high school again). The phone RANG. (Let me remind you this is the second time I've sent a text and recieved a phone call in return) Polite decline, with a repeated theme: Not today (my own emphasis added). Waiting until Sunday to extend a new invite, as convo went really well this evening.

Let me get this straight. You ask him out to dinner, he calls, you turn him down?

"What is best for my kids is best for me"
Amor Fati
Link to quotes: https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2879712
C
OP Offline
C
No, he declined. Stated that he had other plans this evening.

B
B
Originally Posted By: Cautious
No, he declined. Stated that he had other plans this evening.

I wouldn't ask again. You asked, he declined. He should be the one to bring it up again. You put yourself out there already. He should man up and ask you next time. If he doesn't, back off a bit. The hugs mean he wants to be around you, but you shouldn't put yourself out everytime. He should reciprocate.

bim

BIM
M 39 / H 40 / S 9 / S 6 / T 20 / M 11

my sitch: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1828127#Post1828127

C
OP Offline
C
I'm curious, because it was almost as if, to me, he was wanting a reschedule right then and there by repeating "today". At the end of our call, he thanked me for the invitation specifically and then repeated "but today isn't very good for me." So I'm wondering why you think I should wait for the invite now.

B
B
Originally Posted By: Cautious
I'm curious, because it was almost as if, to me, he was wanting a reschedule right then and there by repeating "today". At the end of our call, he thanked me for the invitation specifically and then repeated "but today isn't very good for me." So I'm wondering why you think I should wait for the invite now.

If he wanted to reschedule right then and there, why didn't he? Why didn't he at least offer "another time" or "how about x instead"?

BIM
M 39 / H 40 / S 9 / S 6 / T 20 / M 11

my sitch: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1828127#Post1828127

C
OP Offline
C
Good point. Thanks for the feedback!

P
P
Are you looking for advice or someone to agree with what you want to do?

brownidmom is right, if he wanted so badly to reschedule then he would have.

Why are you in such a rush? Did that work for you before?

If you love somebody, set them free.
http://tinyurl.com/2empx2g
C
OP Offline
C
Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure I am rushing. In fact, I felt as though I've slowed down quite a bit. Maybe my thinking is backwards on all of this.

P
P
No chit chat for MONTHS, then:
Day 1 - He calls to let you know "I'm going to be here."
Day 2 - You text him, he calls back, you call back, he's lukewarm.
Day 3 - chit chat and a hug
Day 4 - you've fallen back in love with him
Day 5 - you ask him out, he declines

How is this not rushing? Where in the past five days have you slowed down?

If you love somebody, set them free.
http://tinyurl.com/2empx2g
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard