Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Hi Blue,

Oh so it was your little one, I gotcha! How is your PennStater doing? When will she be through?

I'm so happy that you're doing so well! I know it's hard work especially in the beginning when you're trying to make a go of it, but if anyone can do it you can.

I will call. I miss you too..........

Love,
Bethie

3K451 Offline OP
OP Offline
Bethie...

The Penn State gal is doing alright. I should see her quite a bit this summer since she'll be coming home a few times for friends' weddings.

As for the rest of y'all... no real updates or anything of substance. My life is frigging Peyton Place at times, which is one reason I don't come here very often... enough crapola happening elsewhere and reading some of the stories around here only brings me down when I have a lonnnnnngggg road ahead of me right now.

Business is taking off sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slowly it scares the crap out of me. Will be taking my state exam for insurance in a week or so. Wish me well... I need the dough baby and consulting contracts are so damned difficult to snag so I figger the insurance gig will bring cash in. The expenses of starting my own biz are high and I'm running on a razor's margin.

As for the R front, someone new lurching in the background. Ya know... it's just my damn luck. I told him I wasn't even looking to date right now because my life is just plain crazy with trying to bring in work. But still... he has been patiently persistent and we talk quite frequently. Much different person than anyone I've known or dated. Quite the opposite of ol' dragonboy. We'll see where this goes an inch at a time. One of the kindest and most considerate men I've ever really met. He just makes me laugh and we can relax together well. I will always take someone who can make me laugh and is polite over a pretty face any day!

Well... off to study and get another proposal off to a prospective client. Send me your prayers, good wishes, and whatever... I need 'em!!! I'm really risking my ass here but honestly... I think this will be a good thing in the long run for me.

H
H
KB,

Sounds to me as if you've got lots going on of substance in your life. You've got so much guts to go out on your own and take the chance to make your own way in this world. I applaud you for that.

So you've got a guy lurking in the background? A kind and considerate man who makes you laugh. Sounds exactly like someone I know. Just when you least expected it too I guess. I'm sure if he weren't kind and considerate, that you wouldn't have given him a 2nd glance. I like that you're seeing how it goes an inch at a time. That's the way to do it.

Way to go Keyz!!! I admire your spunk!!! Hope you get everything you hoped for with your new business and new guy. You deserve it.
Jill

K
kml Offline
K
KB -
I know things are going to work out for your business. You remind me of a good friend of mine who is a hydrogeologist (consults on groundwater contamination issues). He had worked for a large firm where he wasn't happy, then a coworker talked him into joining him in a partnership. The partner did most of the schmoozing and bringing in work, my friend did more of the technical end. Long story short, the partner bailed and left my friend holding the bag. Friend was terrified to be out on his own, thought about changing careers, becoming a teacher, whatever. First, though, they had some contracts he felt obligated to finish. Then he got another one. Eventually he decided to try his luck on his own. I'd say for about two years he was always worried that the work would dry up after the next contract - but it never did.

Now he's very successful and suffers more from too much work than too little. It took a while to adjust to the ups and downs of contracting, and just trust that slow periods would be followed by busy ones.

Ellie

3K451 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys

I only have a few minutes. But one thing I've always been and refuse to stop about myself is being a risk taker. At least well-calculated risks. Part of my inherent nature as a full-blown, full-blooded Capricorn. Maybe I dig the adreanlin rushes too much, don't know.

But taking these risks on myself have kept me from becoming complacent again, making me focus on goals and to keep moving on. There have been discouragements but luckily there's a few folks in my corner who've kicked me in the ass when duly deserved.

It takes a hell of an effort to get over a bad relationship. But I refuse to make a career out of living in the past. I've been accused of arrogance before (an ad guy I worked with in the past actually said that to me). AT first I was offended, thinking "hey, I'm really trying to get us a win-win situation here." (He did ad work for the company I used to work for, wanted more work, and I needed to get some ad comps done for a conference. My boss was whining about costs. I had to work out a game plan between this ad guy and my boss to get the ad comps paid for--I had NO time to do the ad comps myself and it's not exactly my expertise.) So, when I told this ad guy that I had to be a little brazen with my boss, he accused me of being arrogant and that wasn't the way to do business especially as a female line manager. Well needless to say, I never worked with that ad guy once he got paid again. Hee hee.

Rule one: never let the bastards get you down. You will fail until you succeed. Just take a lesson from every failure and apply it to the next attempt.

Rule two: Repeat until you get there.

Nuff said.... checking out. I hope y'all have a great holiday weekend, eat some bbq and down a few beers for me! I have to study for a state insurance exam and visit my mother .

Well, before you go, allow me to thank you again for
all your kind words and thoughts over the last few
years (ow, was it that long?)

I really appreciate it all and wish you the best of
everything!

Xeno

Xeno
3K451 Offline OP
OP Offline
Xeno... I guess it's been a long time. Thanks for the note, and believe me... have I learned a lot around here thanks to some notoriously infamous folks on this board

Well... it ain't nirvana yet. But I'm more than grateful for the peace and serenity in my life. Still nervous about this working on my own thing. Fear is the biggest distractor from my goals... ouch.

Nailed my state insurance exam yesterday with an 84, got the license. A couple of contracts that keep promising to come through keep hesitating. I need to find me a game plan to get them in the door. Need to get a non-disclosure to one client tomorrow.

New guy is still amazing me. I'll take it a day at a time, a moment at a time and find the good in this situation somewhere, the lessons I need somewhere.

I may be controversial here, but being divorced seemed to be just what I needed to reclaim myself. It's not the ticket I'd recommend, but having gone from hell with someone who was unwilling to address his own emotional/mental problems pulling me down and causing me to focus on negativity didn't do me any good. I need to focus on what I have, what I can do, what is right in the world... on me. Working on getting my own mojo back in good order

That said, I need to scoot...

Quote:

I may be controversial here, but being divorced seemed to be just what I needed to reclaim myself. It's not the ticket I'd recommend, but having gone from hell with someone who was unwilling to address his own emotional/mental problems pulling me down and causing me to focus on negativity didn't do me any good. I need to focus on what I have, what I can do, what is right in the world... on me. Working on getting my own mojo back in good order

Not for me it isn't!!! I agree 100% with you. Isn't life great when you recover from the big D and take your life back????

Congrats on the insurance exam! Never had a moment's doubt that you could ace it! I'm proud of you.

I hope the insurance angle will work out well for you. I do believe that you are one of the few I know that can get things going in the direction you wish when it comes to business. I don't really have that knack so I think it is a good thing that I am retired.

I have finally decided that retirement is alright. For a long, long time I was very bored....missed all the excitement of the fire department. With all the illness in the family and resulting hospital stays and deaths and with all the excitement...negative excitement...with Old Whiplash and The Flea on the Butt of All Humanity, status quo and being free to do whatever needs doing on my time is wonderful. I finally came to realize that if I don't get things done today, there is always tomorrow. And should I not be around tomorrow, it didn't matter much anyway!

So there is a new guy in the background. Interesting. I agree that if he can make you laugh the relationship is off to a good start. That is one thing I like about my Sweetie. He can make me laugh. Sad to say, I hadn't laughed in years before he can along. I had forgotten how.

Something you said in your post reminded me of a survey the TV anchors spoke about a few days ago. There was a survey of divorced men and women. The men used the word "devastated" more than the women did when it came to describing their divorces. The women used the word "liberated."

Odd that I had never thought "out loud" of myself as being liberated from Old Whiplash, but once I heard that put into words I thought that is exactly how I feel. And I LIKE it. Nah, heck, I LOVE it. I like being the captain of my own ship. I can do what I want when I want!

Keep us posted about how you are doing.

B2K

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard