Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Here is a list of resources for feeling better which my counselor gave to me on my first appointment. I hope some of you find it useful. If you have any more too add, please feel free.

Old Dog xx

The primary goal of counseling is to increase positive feelings and decrease distress. In addition to the suggestions below you can make your own list of what comforts you and improves your mood.

The trend in psychology used to be "talk about it and you'll feel better". Research has shown that just talking about how bad we feel often keeps us feeling lousy! To feel better we have to DO (action) something besides talking about the pain we are in. In addition to changing our brains by taking positive action, we can intentionally recall positive moments to trigger the mind to release chemicals that compose positive emotions.

• Keep a Gratitude Journal: brain research shows that daily writing down 5 things we are grateful for improves brain functioning and elevates mood
  • Go for a walk / MOVE YOUR BODY even if just for a minute! Moving physically moves us emotionally- this is why it is called emotion!
  • Jump rope
  • Run in place for 1 minute
  • Do Tai Chi or Yoga positions (great book: Overcoming Trauma Through Yoga by Emerson and Hopper)
  • Relaxation exercises or meditation CD
  • Breathe in to the count of 4, hold 4, exhale 4, pause 4; repeat 4 times.
  • Or breathe in slowly to the count of 5, breathe out slowly to the count of 5.
  • Guided imagery like Safe place, Nurturing Figures, and Container
  • Websites / you tube videos that are positive / uplifting (bookmark them so they are easily accessible)
  • Find a reason to laugh (movies / TV shows / cartoon books)
  • Read a book (that creates positive feelings for you)
  • Read a self help book (Mind Over Mood, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, Feeling Good Workbook, 10 Days to Self Esteem)
  • Garden (in the winter plant an amaryllis or a bean seed and watch it grow)
  • Cook / Bake / Hand crank pasta / knead bread
  • Listen to calming music-even a lullaby CD. Make a CD of songs to listen to when you are distressed.
  • Make music-play an instrument or sing.
  • Dance! To a song or with a video!
  • Volunteer for something you value
  • Send cards to friends or anyone who might need one
  • Hold an object that represents a loved one
  • Make something-find a hobby that you enjoy
  • Vacuum 1 room or clean 1 sink or fold 5 clean clothes
  • Make a list of things you've always wanted to learn more about and then go to the library or do online research.
  • Nurture your sense of smell-find 5 things that smell good and sniff them
  • Nurture your sense of touch-rub your fingers over the fur of your pet, a soft blanket, a smooth rock, textured fabric-soak your feet in warm water, put lotion on your hands.
  • Drum. If you don't have a drum use sticks or wooden spoons and plastic containers.
  • Collect the names-photos of people who inspire you-put them in a binder
  • Trace a finger labyrinth or find a local one you can walk
  • Read a beautiful or fun children's book
  • Keep a collection of prayers, poems, quotes, to reread
  • Go to the library and look through coffee table books
  • Go to a museum-consider getting a membership
  • Call a friend and ask how they are doing
  • Plan a vacation-either one that is possible of one that is unlikely-Borrow a travel video from the library
  • Watch a free online video that shows how to say something simple in sign language
  • List 10 things you want to do / accomplish in the next 10 years
  • List l0 things you've accomplished / enjoyed in the past 10 years
  • Give yourself $3 to buy something pleasant-a flower, a cup of tea or coffee, a bar of organic soap, a piece of fruit-or find something at the dollar store ©
  • Grab a digital camera and take pictures of things in your environment that are beautiful or interesting.
  • Pretend for just a moment that you are here in the present without the experiences of your past. You are a blank slate only taking in the sensory information that is in front of you. Name 3 things that you see; name 3 things that you hear; notice what you smell; reach out and touch 3 different textures. Are you safe right now, this moment? Not 2 minutes from now, but in this moment. Just notice what your senses are taking in. Continue to name what you see, what you hear, what you smell, what you touch, what the temperature is like on your skin, where the light falls in the room. Imagine this moment is a bubble with no past and no future, just now. Thoughts are just thoughts, feelings are just feelings. In this moment, right now, you are safe. Breathe deeply. (Adapted from lecture by Dr. J. Eric Gentry)
  • Place the palm of your hand against your forehead (like people do when they have a headache). Begin counting backwards from 100 by 7's or begin listing what your senses notice in your environment: the colors, the shapes, the sounds, the textures. This exercise can stop the fight, flight, or freeze response from increasing and pull the thinking part of the brain back online.
  • Splash cold water on your face or fill a bowl with ice water and dunk your head in it for a few seconds (especially helpful if you struggle with self harm)
  • Look in the mirror and say your name and your age out loud.
  • Add and cares about / loves / believes in me.
  • Take a cold shower (especially if you struggle with self harm)
  • Take a warm shower or bath (especially calming before going to sleep)
  • Write or draw on your body with washable markers (instead of cutting).
  • Press your hand against your knee and gently push your knee against it; do the same with the other hand and other knee. Push against your elbows in the same way.
  • Throw ice cubes at a something like a tree, concrete, or gravel.
  • If you had a child with you who was upset, what would you do to comfort the child? Do this, even if it seems childish or silly.

M: 57 / EW: 52
T: 21, M: 8
S: 18, S: 15
Bomb: 1 Jun 14
EA Aug 2014 I think
PA Feb 2015 possibly sooner
G
G
odsnt,

These are great!

Thanks for posting them.

I particularly like the one about imagining you're in the present without the trauma of the past. I actually tried that one and it feels like RELIEF.

It's the sensation of "letting go" that felt good.

I think that's something we all struggle with around here.

--GGG

Me 54 Him 63
M 23 T 29
0 Kids
Funny Farm of Rescues
12/12 OW--
5/13 ILYBINILWY: A denied
9/13 Proof OW: ENDED
2/14 Got D papers on my BD
I kicked him out for my sanity
9/14 He wants to "talk"?

S
S
Wow. This is a great list. I find myself just hanging around.... Waiting. Waiting for what? I don't know, the bomb clean up crew? Tonight, instead, I'm going to take a walk. Thanks for this list. I'll be referring to it often.

M: 37 H: 36
M: 13 T: 18
D: 7
Bomb: 6/30/14
Separation: 8/11/14

Be strong enough to let go and wise enough to wait for what you deserve.
B
B
Great stuff odsnt. I'm going to put some of these on my phone for daily reference.

M 35 W 31
D 10
Married 3 years
Together 11
Single since Nov 13
Moved out Dec 13
ILYBNILWY, 'I don't want to be a boring housewife, 'I don't fancy you any more'
OM confirmed Jun 14
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Your welcome.

GoatGal - I do the live in the present thing (well try anyway). I use assistive technology i.e. a podcast about mindfullness.

ss06 - I also used to do the waiting thing in general life. Life does not owe you a living, you have to go and get it: make your own luck. Actions, not words.

bashy - good idea. I was going to print them off, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.

EA Aug 2014 I think
E
E
Good list!

I need to do the counting backwards from 100 by 7s. That looks like a very good one for me.

A
A
Thank you Old Dog! I copied and saved to a file on my computer so I can access easily. I love the idea of the GRATITUDE journal. Will start that one today.

Me - 49
H - 56
S - 23
D - 20
Married 25 years
H moved out 10/11/13
H moved back in 10/13/13
H moved out again 8/1/14
N
N
Thank you, I copied these!

M:54, H:55
T:33, M:27
12/13 BD: EA
01/14 BD: PA, H leaves
03/14 H & OW break up
05/14 H says he will file for D
08/14 H initiates D
09/14 H wants to R
12/14 Still bungling our way through R
O
Old Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Wow! It's been a while since this was on the first page. There are a whole bunch on new people here now so ... bump.

EA Aug 2014 I think
G
G
One I've learnt from here, was when you feel the anxiety rising. In my case I feel like I could throw up, that tense feeling combined with a hiccup.

I think it's ok, I didn't die, and I talk myself out of it. Very quickly now.

I just sort of think oh yeah hello anxiety, goodbye, and it's gone.

M 46 h54
Both married before
T 11y
Bd 2/14 I must see where ow leads!
Ms 18 hs 26
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard