Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
I
OP Offline
I
Well usually my weekends are pretty uneventful which I like but this weekend was a mixed bag. You guys may want to pull up a chair and grab some popcorn- or grab a Snickers. Saturdy I was in bed pretty much all day (from the cold- not in a fun way! ha!). Later in the afternoon I felt OK enough to go get a string of xmas lights from Home Depot. Got home as it was just starting to get dark (4:15pm) and noticed the main water line going into the house is shooting a stream of water on the garage wall, WTF?! I took a closer look and it was the sprinkler feed from the main supply line that had sprung a leak. Wonderful! So I stood there pondering what to do about it other than shutting off the main water supply to the house and calling a plumber. But at this hour I'd have to pay their emergency rates. So for the time being I shut off the water, grabbed the ladder and hung one string of lights on the front of the house. I was feeling victorious as I accomplished something today. Then I went inside to wash up and, of course, as I turn the faucet on there's nothing...ok...this isn't going to work. So back outside with a work-light I evaluated what was broken and decided to play Mr. Plumber for the night...luckily I had on just the right pants too LOL. So back to Homie Depot for some parts and I had the baby all fixed up in 30 mins, just had to wait for the PVC glue to dry on the splice I put in. Hey I told ya guys, I'm good at finding my way around plumbing even though this was my first time fixing the house plumbing. LOL. But by now I was freezing outside as the temps had dropped into the 40s and my fever was starting to kick back in. So I went back in, made dinner and then vegged out for a bit. I turned the water back on after an hour and it seemed to hold, I did notice a veeeery slow leak (a drop after 5 mins) in the connection but much better.

Sunday I was scheduled to go on a bike ride starting at 8AM but I changed my RSVP to 'maybe' and went to bed. Sun morning I woke up at 7AM, lying in bed I wiggled my toes and counted my fingers and then said to myself 'doc, I think I'm fit to go for that ride'...my other side of the brain said 'are you freakin' kidding me? there's not even that much time left to get up, eat b.fast, get ready, check the bike over etc...are you really freakin' serious?' Well enough wasting time then...up and at em'. Mad dash to get read and head to the meeting spot. I made it just in time. Met up with the group, introduced myself to the new faces and then we rode out. It was fun! I won't bore you with the details of how me and the bike were one- like two house flies in love. Some new girl there, her and I talked for a while during one of the ride breaks. After a while she asked me if I was married...I said 'I am for now...' she gave me the most strangest look so I laughed and said 'we're getting a divorce'. She said 'aw, so sorry to hear that. I know how that feels. Do you have kids?' So we talked a bit about that and some other stuff. Then I walked over towards the other people and found out a couple of guys were making fun of her...like jokes in poor taste if you know what I mean. I thought it was cool that we had a new girl who was riding a bike. I'm thinking how cool is that? Although she *was* a bit out there and I'd overheard her talking to another guy about getting laid and stuff but they knew eachother from before. Anyway, I digress. So after having brunch we turned around heading home. On the way back we made our final stop to say our good byes and then parted ways...and just then it started raining. I had no rain gear on so it was kinda miserable and I'm a newbie rider so I was a little concerned. I was glad that one of the older guys was going to ride back my way for a little while so we rode together for a good bit. Until it happened. We were descending down a steep road getting ready to make a right turn from the right turn only lane, it was raining, I was a car length behind the older guy on his Harley-like cruiser bike and all of a sudden I heard a screech and saw him go down in a blink of an eye, right freakn' in front of me. I thought I was next because the parts from his bike were flying and him and his bike were sliding down just steps away from me while we were descending down this slick and hilly street . I was already on the brakes so I just kept the bike straight and upright as opposed to trying to swerve. I braked harder but being careful to not lock the wheels up and somehow I managed to stop without going down or hitting his bike or worse...him. Wow, my first ride in the rain and I already witness the outcome and this happened to a guy who's been riding 25 years!

Still in disbelief I wanted wiggle my toes and count my fingers but there was no time. I used my bike and its lights to block that lane from the other traffic while I helped him. Thank God he was OK! Man had his head hit the curb he was a gonner. With those harley skull-cap helmets it's scary to think of the outcome. His bike on the other hand wasn't OK. We gathered up the bigger pieces but I wanted to get the heck out of that street because some idiot could be coming down the hill fast and hit us. He was pretty shook up though. We uprighted his heavy pig of a bike but in his shock he couldn't figure out the controls. I thought about getting on it myself but I'm not used to those big 800lbs cruiser bikes so I just talked to him, comforted him for a while telling him everything was OK until he was able to regain himself. We finally got the bike turned around (it facing the traffic up to this point). I told him his lights and brake lever were history so he'd have to use the rear brake while I'll ride behind him with my emergency lights on. It was a slow and painful ride to his house in the rain but I didn't want to leave him on his own. So I rode him to his house. After that my whole ride home in the rain I kept replaying what happened and how it could've been me. And of the 50+ cars that passed by us when the crash happened only one car (a *very* cute blonde in her Mercedes) rolled her window down and asked if we needed help. No one else did! so I'm glad I was able to help get him and his bike home so he didn't feel all alone in his crisis...knowing quite well what that feels like! ha!

I know sh*t happens and you can't live your life in fear but goes to show how vulnerable we are...especially on two wheels lol

Hope you all had a good uneventful weekend! smile

Me: 35|WAW: 38|D: 6yo | http://tinyurl.com/2dxx7m6
Feb 2006, left, came back in two weeks
Aug 2006, left again
Apr 2007, filed for divorce
Dec 2007, reunited
Mar 2010, moved out, filed again
S
S
Wow, that is nuts, Romeo. I am so glad your friend is okay and you are as well! Definitely be careful in the riding, in fact, anytime, when riding your bike. That is the thing with motorcycles... one slip up can be very dangerous.
Sounds like you had a jam-packed weekend. I also like the reaction the chick gave you whenyou said you were "almost not married." LOL.

Me: 29
Got a ticket to the D concert
K
K
Glad you are ok. I nearly lost my Dad in a motorcycle accident 21 years ago. He was at a motorcycle racing school and he was taking a deep turn. He couldn't get the bike back up and he tried to save the bike. In turn, he banged himself up pretty bad. He still has some nerve and brain damage(not severe). He also has COPD now as a result of both his lungs being punctured and having to be in a medically induced coma for nearly a month while things healed.

Jope you are always wearing a helmet and preferably leathers too. Much rather see those torn up then your arms and legs. Mom will get off the soapbox now.

Also I do think you do a really good thing, helping the guy home and all.

hugs, kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
K
K
I meant Hope. Stupid edit/moderator issues!!!

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Sol and Kat for the concern and the words of advice. I do in fact ride in full gear (full helmet, leathers, gloves etc) and try to be careful. What scares me is not me falling, it's the cars that either don't see you or hate motorcycles which I never really understood why. I realize some motorcyclists do stupid stuff and give the rest a bad name but yeah like you said Sol, you go down there's a good chance you ain't getting back up.

But, I'm still thinking about the blonde. Women, what wonderful creations. I should've told her 'yeah he's fine, but can you give me a CPR later tonight?' Oh well, whereever you are you cute blonde in your Mercedes thank you for that thought...oh and for being a good samartin too.

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
S
S
Romeo, oh Romeo... (lol)

Have you been out with your girlfriend (err, bike) lately? smile

What's new with ya?

Me: 29
Got a ticket to the D concert
K
K
Hey! it has been a long time, but I wanted to check in! how are you?

peace and serenity,
kiki

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: soleil
Romeo, oh Romeo... (lol)

Have you been out with your girlfriend (err, bike) lately? smile

What's new with ya?

Hey Sol, things are good here, very busy. Not much new to report smile

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: kikisum
Hey! it has been a long time, but I wanted to check in! how are you?

kiki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how excited I am to see you!

I've thought about you tons of times, each time thinking you're good and happy! I'm so sorry we lost touch. I thought I'd never know how you are. OldFool remembers you too- he stops by once in a while. How're you my friend? how's your little boy?

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
O
O
kiki! What a nice surprise to see your name pop up. Hope all is well with you.

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard