Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks everyone! It's nice to see someone missed me- besides my lawyer's accountant for a change grin

Just journaling the weekend...nothing exciting to see here:

Had an awesome long weekend with DD. I'm totally spent, I probably need another 4 days to recover from all the running around. I'll probably posts pics in the alt. Thu morning/early afternoon we went on a gorgeous hike near our home; hills, lake and snow capped mountains in the background. Lots of breaks to munch on the Gorp mix and take in the beauty. It's a moderate-difficulty trail and despite having to carry DD on my shoulders for a while towards the end she did really well and I was very proud of her. She's such a nature lover; bugs, animals, plants etc. She definitely takes after her parents there.

One of our neighbors invited us to their parent's house for Thanksgiving, they were having a big family get-together which was very nice of them but I declined. I didn't want to feel or make anyone else feel uncomfortable- it was their family event afterall. So I decided we'll do what we've always done in the past, have a Thanksgiving dinner at home sans STBXW. DD said she wanted to have a 'feast' lol so Thanksgiving feast it shall be. I baked the whole chicken (Turkey always comes out dry), made corn-bread stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, DD wanted to make dessert...jello- I know but it's all about the experience! And besides we still had the leftover pumpkin pie. We even shared some chicken with our two cats to get into the full family Thanksgiving mode LOL Best part was DD liked everything and we were both stuffed.

Fri, we stayed local- Black Fri? no thanks! I can't deal with the crowds and besides I buy sh*t all year round grin. So DD and I just played together, went to the kid's park nearby, went to the hills behind the house where DD discovered a tree-house/look-out and I'd made her a swing out there. I had to do some chores around the house (mowing, laundry etc) but it was a nice day after a busy Thu.

Sat, we went to the San Diego safari park...DD had never been and it'd been a long time for me too. Lots of walking, a bit cold and windy but still it was such a great time! On the long drive home DD was knocked out, that's how I know she had a good time smile

Sun, we woke up late, made pancakes and eggs for b.fast then she played with her friends till about noon. We ate lunch in the backyard, did some shopping, some more chores, played a bit, she made her wishlist for Santa, supper, a kid's movie, then our evening walk around the block (she loves it because it's dark and cold and she gets to hold the flash light) and finally she's in bed. And I'm exhausted- day dreaming about soft pillows to rest my head on.

BBJ, I did take her out for a ride last weekend...we had an amazing time together but we shall save that story for another day wink

OF, thanks for your kind words and perspective, glad to see you around!

NL, you can start your thread here (pick one) and then let us know where you are and we'll come and find you:

SSM section: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=54&page=1

or

Newcomer's section:
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=20&page=1

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Me: 35|WAW: 38|D: 6yo | http://tinyurl.com/2dxx7m6
Feb 2006, left, came back in two weeks
Aug 2006, left again
Apr 2007, filed for divorce
Dec 2007, reunited
Mar 2010, moved out, filed again
K
kml Offline
K
Romeo - here's the trick to turkey:

Instead of filling with stuffing (which sucks the moisture out of the bird) put the stuffing in a casserole dish. Instead, fill the turkey cavities with onion halves and orange halves. The moisture from them will steam the bird from the inside out, cooking a 16 lb bird at 325 degrees in about 3- 3 1/2 hours. Use a meat thermometer and take the bird out when it hits 165 degrees. Then be sure to let the bird "rest" for about half an hour before you carve it - if you carve too soon, the moisture will escape as steam.

Sounds like you had a lovely time with your daughter. smile

D
D
The way I've found to get a moist turkey, even with stuffing, is oven bags. They really seem to work as far as holding the moisture in. The first time we used one the difference was amazing.

Jeff
The poster formerly known as dry_heat

Me-56
D 11/30/09
M 1/25/13
S18,22,27,28
S
S
Romeo,
Your holiday sounds like it was nice.
Love that you went with chicken instead of turkey!!! I am not well-versed on turkey cooking but you've gotten some good advice here!
You sound like a great father smile

Me: 29
Got a ticket to the D concert
I
OP Offline
I
Good suggestions guys, thanks.

So STBXW sends me an email about DD's tooth and we go back and forth. DD brushes and rinses twice a day but looks like there's a cavity on one of her baby molers. So she tells me why I didn't just take her in. Well...the dentist she chose doesn't work on the weekends, which is when DD told me about it and apparently DD had told her about it the previous week. So now she's upset because she has to take her in during her work hours. So I tell her that we need to find another dentist somewhere between her house and mine (the current one is where she used to live) and one that's open on the weekends. So she replies with how this dentist is really good and she doesn't want to change because it's good to have a stable dentist for DD...because 'it's important to have stability'. She used herself as an example to illustrate that she had the same dentist since she was little until she was in college. Hmm...so let me get this straight, DD doesn't have stability at school, her friends or neighbors or even her own parents yet it's important to have a stable dentist who she might see 3 times a year. Wow! how can you argue with that logic?

OK back to work, I'm swamped the last few days and was here till 9pm yesterday- fun!

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
S
S
Originally Posted By: ImprovedRomeo
Hmm...so let me get this straight, DD doesn't have stability at school, her friends or neighbors or even her own parents yet it's important to have a stable dentist who she might see 3 times a year. Wow! how can you argue with that logic?

You gotta love that kind of sense and logic! Seriously, I don't think the WAS even comprehend reality sometimes. It's so ridiculous sometimes. Me, me, me. My way, this way or no way.

Hopefully DD's tooth is all better soon. And hopefully you aren't at work til 9 again! Craaazy!

Me: 29
Got a ticket to the D concert
K
K
Some things just never seem to change. I suppose at least you can count on that. lol Sorry she is still a hot mess.

On the turkey front, soaking the turkey in brine about 14 hours before you cook it is pretty much a sure hit. You get a juicy turkey with just a smidge of the salt flavor. yum!

Hope things start looking better all the way around for you.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Sol and kat. I'll have to try the turky ideas...umm next thanksgiving smile

Things are going OK, making some progress on the legal front. The latest 'big' thing in my life right now is that DD needs a root canal. I brought her to my dentist yesterday for a 3rd opinion and STBXW met us there (late). The dentist said unfortunately root canal is a must because kids teeth are so small as soon as they get a cavity it's already touching the nerve and it'll be painful if we don't fix it soon. So all three dentists seem to be on the same page about that but this one said she'll do the nitrous to relax her then do the local anesthesia which is MUCH better IMO than the others who suggested general anesthesia (on a 6yo??!!). So STBXW agreed that my dentist would be the best option...of course she had to have the last word in when to schedule it but in trying that she didn't realize she picked her week, then later as we were walking out she goes 'huh, I guess I'll have her that day' I just looked at her and said 'I thought that's what you wanted but of course I'll be here during the procedure'. I'll offer to take DD if she'd rather her be with me. I just want DD to be ok. Whenever DD sees us together she's so happy, jumps from my lap to STBXW's and always tries to give us a group hug. Of course, STBXW doesn't see or notices anything. She brought along some paperwork for her car. She had brought the car in for an oil change and the dealer wanted to upsell a few things. So she wanted to know what she needed done and what she could do without. I didn't want to at first but what was I to say? So I just give it 10 secs and told her what I thought she would need. All this she didn't have to worry about in the past because I took care of her car- now she has to bring it in to the dealer for the $60 oil changes.

Oh well, as long as she's happy grin

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
W
W
I'm with you, Romeo. I used to take care of pretty much everything in the family so that she could deal with her stressful job. Now that they have to deal with everything alone they never seem any happier than when we were with them...but we MUST have been the problem, right! I think it's OK to give her some info re the cars needs, it's part of R building for co-operative parenting. It's not enabling or rewarding anything, it's not like you're volunteering to take the car in for her! So don't worry that you'll get your knuckles wrapped here...at least not from me anyway. grin

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
I
OP Offline
I
BTW, DD can read and write some basic sentences now. So while we were waiting for the dentist to brief STBXW (I'd asked her to do that so it came directly from her) DD wrote on a piece of paper 'My cats have a cavity' LMAO! then she randomly picked the word 'protection' to add to the end of the sentence. So it read 'My cats have a cavity. No protection' both STBXW and I were in tears trying to not laugh too hard and make DD feel bad. STBXW said 'good thing they're fixed'.

Aug 2006, left again
Dec 2007, reunited
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard