Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Woohoo! Congrats to S18 and to the proud parents!

Sage

Relax. Appreciate. Be calm. Laugh. Enjoy. Be secure. Be loving. Be loved. Don't personalize. Don't ASSume. Accept. Be grateful.
J
J
Congratulations to S18, Ellie, and to the parents who gave him the tools to get him where he is and where he's going!

Jennifer

shameless plug for my NEWEST thread
O
O
kml, would you read this thread and give your opinion about it
Thread ="view from the other side" topic=Thyroid testing and diagnostics

Thanks. I value your advice and read many of your posts to other DBers.

Lou

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Done

O
O
kml Thanks so much for posting on SSM, "Thyroid testing and diagnostics"

Like I say, I read your posts and especially what is going on in your family. I feel like you have better solutions than I think of and get better advice from others than I have to offer. That is the reason I don't write or give my opinion on your thread.

I don't consider myself unknowledgable, but I know when not to say something, especially around people more knowledgable than me.

Thanks again,
Lou

MAL Offline
Ellie,

Congrats to your son and you of course! I hope you enjoyed all the festivities and the family time. I know it was a blast for us, and I remember how proud I was.

I wanted to say thank you for being a loyal friend and popping in on my thread here and there. That means a lot.

Not many of the old crowd around anymore. So why are you and I still here? LOL.

I don't care. This is still home to me, and warm place to come back to now and then. You know what I mean?

Well, I'm FINALLY going to bed (I think. I keep saying that on each post, but I haven't made it there yet. )

See ya!

MAL

Me 47
Ex H 46
Bomb 9/02
D final 3/04
Ex H now married to OW

------------
This is surviving. There is no such thing as a normal life, there's just life. So get on with it and enjoy it!
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey there, Mal!

Well, grad week is over, we had a lot of fun. For me, the best part was getting to see the ways in which other people see my son. You see, he's a somewhat eccentric kid, socially awkward because he doesn't read people's signals well, and fights with his siblings a lot because of it. He's gotten better over the years - as he matures - but is still a little different.

So you can imagine how these things warmed my heart:
- the note in his yearbook from one of the pretty, "popular" girls - a mere acquaintance but someone who has been in school with him since elementary school - who wrote "you have always been kind to me, no matter what".

- the congratulations card from a former classmate who lives in New Mexico now - a brilliant boy who skipped 3 grades and is in college now at 15 - who wrote "I'll always remember how you were the first person to welcome me at high school and invite me to eat lunch"

- the school friend of his at the party, who, overhearing my niece making a joke about what my son would do with his varied interests - she said "maybe he'll become an evil genius" and S18's friend replied "but he can't be an evil genius, because he doesn't have any enemies".

- the mother of some classmates, an active mom on campus who I know only peripherally but my son has become close to over the years, so he wanted to make sure she came to his party - telling me how much she has enjoyed my son over the years.

Weel, it sure makes me feel good. He's growing out of his awkwardness, and there are plenty of people who recognize his warmth and genuineness.

Ellie

O
O
kml. My son was a goof off/no home work in highschool so when he said he wanted to go to college, I thought, "Yea, Right" this is going to be a disaster.

Son went to college and studied courses "HE" was interested in. The first 6 months were hind of rough but he passed all of his classes. After a while of being on his own, he decided to work harder in and out of class. He did graduate after taking a math class over and had a tutor for a couple of classes. A big shange from c's and D-'s in HS

Your son will probally learn how to read people better because he has to depend on himself and others more once he leaves home. My son learned to buckle down because he was on his own. I suspect some similar process will happen to your son too.

Some of the dads at a recent gathering were making complimentary comments about the other dads kid. What we almost all had in common was we all worried about our own kids having a trouble finishing college because of past problems. To our amasement and relief, every kid somehow transformed for the good once they knew they were mostly in charge of their life at college.

I focused on the academic part of college before my son went to college but I say that living with peers and strugeling financially and socially as a group, the students learned from each other to be better and more sociable people.
Quote:

Weel, it sure makes me feel good. He's growing out of his awkwardness, and there are plenty of people who recognize his warmth and genuineness.

It's a good feeling Ellie. I am glad you have it, you deserve it.

Lou

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Lou -
Quote:

Your son will probally learn how to read people better because he has to depend on himself and others more once he leaves home. My son learned to buckle down because he was on his own. I suspect some similar process will happen to your son too.

Yes, S18 is the kind of kid who needs to be PUSHED out of the nest . I know he is ready for it, though. And that's part of why I feel Berkeley is a good match for him - while he can veer dangerously close to Napoleon Dynamite, it's the brightest kids who are most tolerant of his eccentricities.

Ellie

#488802 06/26/05 08:19 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm on a roll lately with the bargain finds

Last month, our friends invited us out to an "Art Walk". This is an event where merchants in a trendy new design district in town keep their shops open late, serve wine and cheese, and you wander though their (mostly overpriced, but interesting)shops.

One shop specialized in handblown Italian glass from the 60's - the kind of stuff everyone had in their living rooms when I was a kid. Vases and lamps of blue, orange, or green blown glass - apparently it's trendy now, and the pieces were rather pricey.

Anyway - fast forward to last Friday. As I'm headed to the dry cleaners, I see a sign for an estate sale. Stopped on a whim (I'm always meaning to go but never do) - and found a swirly blue Italian handblown glass vase for $3.50!!

It looks pretty smart in the front hall, on my $89 imitation Stickley table from Target!

Ellie

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard