Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
MikeP #2939597 11/22/22 07:37 PM
D
DnJ Online
D
Originally Posted by MikeP
…the OM is a scrawny little dork with no style.

Oh my goodness! I almost shot iced tea out my nose. Lol.

Affairing down is a real thing.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
1 member likes this: MikeP
LH19 #2939598 11/22/22 07:37 PM
M
MikeP Online OP
OP Online
M
Originally Posted by LH19
Originally Posted by Ready2Change
Do the manly things around the house and leave the womanly things for her.
What exactly would be the womanly things R2C?

I had that thought also. The one thing I defended myself on when she BD’d, was how much I contribute. I cook 95% of the time, help with dishes, all the yard work( we have a lot if yard😁), house maint., etc. I’ve always taken the kids everywhere they needed-dr, dentist, sports, etc. My job makes it easier for me to take off than her. I still change the oil in our cars at home, I don’t trust Jiffy Lube. So, maybe I should slack off some 🤷🏼‍♂️. I do get lazy in the winter, I admit that, I’m not that dang bad even then.

M:50 W:48
T:33 M:25
D23, S17, D13
BD:4/2/22
DnJ #2939600 11/22/22 07:51 PM
M
MikeP Online OP
OP Online
M
Originally Posted by DnJ
Good Morning Mike

Originally Posted by BL42
Originally Posted by Ready2Change
She is the same person she always was, you just see her different now.
Such a subtle yet profound little nugget of a sentence. Take some time to think about this concept.

I have a hard time with this. She seems like a totally different person. Not just towards me, but her outlook on life and how she treats other people now. Probably she is very depressed and that is why. Sometimes I wonder who she is. She even looks different at times, or maybe I'm crazy.

No, you’re not crazy.

As mentioned a while ago, your W shows signs of an internal struggle. Depression is always present with such internal turmoil.

A mid life transition is a normal stage for everyone. We all reconcile getting old, the things will failed to accomplish, our regrets, and such. We then see our life’s work, the stuff we did accomplish, and all the benefit of a life well lived.

A person enters a crisis during this time if they have significant unresolved issues. They get bogged down and lost in the regret and getting old stage of the transition. Usually some childhood trauma from an authority figure. Something from long ago. Something completely unrealized by them.

This pain and trauma was buried when they were a child due to they did not have the emotional / mental capacity to face or process such an event. Unfortunately, things buried alive will haunt later.

At mid life, these past events come back with a vengeance. They will no longer be denied. Of course, the person experiencing such torment has no idea why. They literally do not know what and why they feel like they do. That is the start of a mid life crisis.

This decent lasts about 18-24 months, as they try to maintain their life. Eventually, things can no longer be bottled up and they explode. Bomb drop. Their spouse usually gets blamed, since this broken person cannot accept or understand what they are feeling. It must be the spouse’s fault. It has to be. (From the hurting crisis person’s perspective.) They truly cannot accept things; their broken psyche cannot take it. They absolutely must blame others, and are driven to some wild behaviour.

My W had a full blown, off the deep end, mid life crisis. She blew up everything. Once they reach bomb drop, they run. Hard and fast. Affairs are staggeringly commonplace for these lost souls. They equate sex with happiness.

They feel unhappy. All the time. Running takes their mind off it. Spending, drinking, illicit drugs, are some other common running behaviours. These are people desperate to find peace. And desperate people do desperate things. There are many accounts of people burning through a lifetime of savings searching for their illusive happiness. My W took up exercising and weight loss. She was by no means over weight, not at all. However, she still peeled off around 40-50 pounds and became crazy thin. Basically a skeleton. She’s 5’10” and 100-ish pounds. And sunshine, she absolutely needs sunshine. Like ten hours a day. A cloudy rain day, in her words feels like death.

They become completely different! Completely! 180 degree from the person you once knew. How they dress, treat others, see the world, their values, their family, they toss life long friends, find new friends (that understand them), and so on. They try anything and everything to dull their ceaseless torment.

My W looked different. Her face was grayish. Her eyes became shark-like, life-less. A crisis person’s mannerisms change. They even sound different. These are people dragged back to their moment(s) of long ago torment. A time and event that stunted their emotional growth, and one from which they now need to grow up from.

My W even displayed, remembered, spoke, like she was that old. They actually become that “age” again. One of her “ages” is from when her and I first started dating. During one of the kids visits, W brought up details of D’s 1977 Ford LTD 2 with zebra stripped seats, like it was yesterday. Because, for her it is/was. The kids saw their pod person Mom, reliving 30 years ago. I was not husband, I was boyfriend. She wasn’t married, she didn’t have kids, and so on. All while living with OM. The fragility of the mind is incredible.

When a person in crisis drops the bomb, those around them are usually quite unaware. Me and the kids spent weeks searching the internet looking to understand what the heck just happened to Mom. Brain tumour, stroke, infection, etc. To us she flipped a switch and became possessed by an alien. A loving wonderful mother of four, threw her kids away, burnt down her thriving childcare business, and ran off with the egg man.

A person in crisis, they are not the same person you always knew. Yet, the LBS sees them the same.

A crisis is rare. Unfortunately not that rare. Diagnosis really doesn’t change much for your path. The time lines become exceeding longer. And a crisis’ prognosis is much hazier.

One the hallmarks of a crisis is confusion. The MLCer will exhibit confusion. They have the memory of gnat at most times, and usually become terrible parents.

Like I said, your W is going through something. I hope and pray it’s a transition and she finds her way. A crisis is a horrible fate. A fate for which the seeds were planted long ago.

Either path requires time and space for her to process. Time and space she will take if not given.

From you initial post:

We have been married 25 years, together 33. We have 3 kids- D23, S17, & D13. They don't know about the other man. I feel as if I'm doing all the work, letting her off the hook for everything, and she won't help me get over it. She says she loves me and wants it to work. She hates conflict, hates talking about anything involving her emotions, and seems like a stranger at times.

Mike, I suspect her emotions are cranked to eleven, and she absolutely cannot handle anyone else’s feelings right now. It’s pretty common for one to hate talking about their feelings while being dragged about, for they really do not understand what’s happening.

Do not offer any diagnosis to her. She will rebel against it, and hate you for it. Keep pressure to zero. Your goal is to outlast this.

Nothing you do will matter, and everything you do will.

Be a man only a fool would leave.

D

A lot of what you say about your wife sounds too familiar. Memory of a gnat for sure. Her face looks different at times and her eyes look like she’s lost or nobody’s home. She tossed her two best friends and became close with a recently divorced friend from her gym. Won’t talk to her mom at all. She us easily confused now as well. Some if these things have started to fade, so I guess that’s positive. I never talk about depression to her. I learned that the hard way. Thanks again for your advice and relating your story. As bad as I thought I had it, sounds like you went through way worse.

D23, S17, D13
MikeP #2939601 11/22/22 07:52 PM
L
L
I’m trying yo GAL as much as possible and stop worrying what she thinks about me. If she doesn’t want me, I’m trying to be the man someone else will want.
Be the man Mikey P wants to be and the rest will work itself out.

MikeP #2939604 11/22/22 08:48 PM
D
D
A lot of what you say about your wife sounds too familiar. Memory of a gnat for sure. Her face looks different at times and her eyes look like she’s lost or nobody’s home. She tossed her two best friends and became close with a recently divorced friend from her gym. Won’t talk to her mom at all. She us easily confused now as well. Some if these things have started to fade, so I guess that’s positive. I never talk about depression to her. I learned that the hard way. Thanks again for your advice and relating your story. As bad as I thought I had it, sounds like you went through way worse.
Sounds a lot like my wife as well. And probably thousands of others. The faces are the weirdest part for me. She gets this angry devilish face when she's really upset or she has a blank stare similar to what you described that looks like the wheels just aren't spinning. Then she just goes downstairs for the night.

My wife also had a recently D'd friend that I think gave her the confidence to push for D. Her friend
was living it up on dating apps, different guy each night, basically making up for what she thought was the mistake of marrying her high school sweetheart. I'm not sure if she's any happier now, but I doubt her 3 kids are. Oh well. Hopefully it's comforting knowing you aren't the only one dealing with this type of thing. I was shocked at how many people are in the same boat. It's an epidemic!

the life

M:39 W:39
T:22 M:18
S:19 D:18 D:5
BD:7/2022
LH19 #2939605 11/22/22 08:56 PM
M
MikeP Online OP
OP Online
M
I’m trying yo GAL as much as possible and stop worrying what she thinks about me. If she doesn’t want me, I’m trying to be the man someone else will want.

I like the sound of that! Thanks.

D23, S17, D13
LH19 #2939609 11/22/22 09:57 PM
R
R
What exactly would be the womanly things R2C?
This sounds like a baited question...lol

Lets say it snowed and the driveway needs to be shoveled. Either I can do all the shoveling and my lady can stay inside and makes some warm food or vacuum. Or we both can go out and shovel and we both can do indoor chores. I expect all the chores to get done and we should both be putting effort in to get them done.

For these guys, they have more important things to do than clean up the house.

"What is best for my kids is best for me"
Amor Fati
Link to quotes: https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2879712
DW17 #2939610 11/22/22 09:58 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by DnJ
…the OM is a scrawny little dork with no style.
Oh my goodness! I almost shot iced tea out my nose. Lol.

Affairing down is a real thing.
It really is. My family and I have been told by multiple people that my ExW's OM1 is a ugly, scumbag loser. In fact, one our long time mutual friends who works for the same employer told me right after BD that she would be shocked if that were the guy because she couldn't see it with him at all. Remember MikeP...it's not always about you or who's better (you vs. OM). Often times it's about the WS running away from what they know because they're not happy (whether you're the cause or not, probably not). Also...there's an aspect of when they're with a person who is not as good they get more praise and validation from that person and feel better about themselves by comparison.

The one thing I defended myself on when she BD’d, was how much I contribute. I cook 95% of the time, help with dishes, all the yard work( we have a lot if yard😁), house maint., etc. I’ve always taken the kids everywhere they needed-dr, dentist, sports, etc. My job makes it easier for me to take off than her. I still change the oil in our cars at home, I don’t trust Jiffy Lube. So, maybe I should slack off some 🤷🏼‍♂️. I do get lazy in the winter, I admit that, I’m not that dang bad even then.
Your W didn't have an affair because you didn't help out enough around the house. I get the sense you're doing plenty. Absolutely do your fair share, but don't be a doormat either. Wait till she gets a taste of things without you around helping out...she might not like it too much.

Originally Posted by DW17
My wife also had a recently D'd friend that I think gave her the confidence to push for D. Her friend was living it up on dating apps, different guy each night, basically making up for what she thought was the mistake of marrying her high school sweetheart. I'm not sure if she's any happier now, but I doubt her 3 kids are. Oh well. Hopefully it's comforting knowing you aren't the only one dealing with this type of thing. I was shocked at how many people are in the same boat. It's an epidemic!
She's probably enjoying the freedom...for now. Things may very well play out differently over time. And who cares about the kids, right? "Just be happy!" Sigh

^Indeed!

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
LH19 #2939612 11/22/22 10:40 PM
R
R
So NOW you have a chance to do some self reflection.

Lets take the hair cut (Just for example). Do you have it cut the way she likes, or the way you like? Have you even thought about it? Maybe there is a different style that you would like. Maybe in the past, you ran the ideas past her. Now, you just make a decision based on what you want, and do it. No running it past her or thinking what she would think. Same with new clothing style, shoes, hobbies, the way your bedroom is decorated.

Too many guys let fear control them during this stage. Don't be like them.

"What is best for my kids is best for me"
Amor Fati
Link to quotes: https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2879712
MikeP #2939618 11/23/22 12:14 AM
K
K
Too many guys let fear control them during this stage. Don't be like them.

Preach! Never has a truer word been spoken on this website!!!!!

That fear is driven by ingrained behaviours, reinforced over time.

Because conflict and fear with wife make you feel uncomfortable and vulnerable, you avoid it at all costs. You have learned the quickest solution to relieve that fear - and inevitably that’s placating her, doing more dishes, telling her she looks amazing, cooking dinner, and being Mr super happy nice guy husband slave.

Ironically, being a doormat breaks your marriage and destroys your hopes of reconciliation - because while you see hope and happiness and return to normal in being Mr nice guy, she sees a weak, controllable, beta man who she is trying to get away from and who keeps hanging on and holding her back from her happiness with OM.

You need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Tell her one time to do her own dishes… she might not like it, she may shout/cry/argue/go berserk, and you will feel uncomfortable because there’s no peace.

But deep down, she’d actually respect you.

Women won’t stay with men long term that they don’t respect.

Anyway, enough about a cheat…. Well done on the GAL. How’s your exercise program going?

Have you set some personal goals?

How about gain 10 pounds muscle, or lose 10 pounds of fat, or learn to sing, join your local library… what about joining a hiking group, learn a new language….

The world’s your oyster Mike! Grab life by the horns. She can come along for the ride or not, but no point waiting to see what she decides.

2 members like this: Rockon, MikeP
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard