Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
K
kml Offline
K
The surge of retirements I’m talking about is doctors exhausted trying to explain the science ho their patients who think they have “done their own research” by reading debunked misinformation on the internet.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
I’m stocked up in toilet paper, Andrew. What other shortages will we be looking at?
LOL - Actually one of the products that is stuck passing through our plant is used to whiten paper so perhaps toilet papers is perhaps a good idea smile

I only have to assume that our regional hub isn't an isolated case. I was talking to some friends who work for one of the largest chemical distributors in the world and they are all having similar problems.

And just like your point with doctors, truck drivers are quitting for similar reasons. Many are close to retirement anyway as well and they are being pushed over the edge. And the more that leave the industry, the remaining ones have to work longer hours / take more runs and then also decide to leave the industry too.

This has been a slow moving disaster for well over 2 years now in the logistics business in North America and presumably other parts of the world. An industry that was designed around the principle of "just in time" delivery can, in my opinion, lead to cascading series of failures as individual parts of it gum up and break down.

There is no quick or easy fix. Even if all the companies were able to get staffing online, I'm thinking that it's going to take a while to un-gum the works. Could be just a month or so, could be longer. Certainly not days.

Sorry for being a harbinger of doom - always keep in mind that I've been wrong about some pretty significant things in my time crazy

Time for me to get on the phone with the railway and re-juggle priorities which I'm sure doesn't help things on their end. Blech.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Originally Posted by kml
The surge of retirements I’m talking about is doctors exhausted trying to explain the science ho their patients who think they have “done their own research” by reading debunked misinformation on the internet.

Wow! If that truly is accurate it’s probably best they take a break as burnout has clearly gotten to them. If having to explain medical things to non medical people who have been consulting Dr Google forces them to retire… that’s certainly nothing new and has been going in since long before Dr. Google even hung out his shingle. I think it’s in the patients handbook - go to the internet or watch the commercial for the latest greatest drug and go tell the doctor “I’m pretty sure I’ve got X and that new Y medication I saw on television is the cure. Lol

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
G
G
At work, I would say biannually, we have these rounds that target the role and feelings of all of the staff in the hospital in certain situations and cases. Today we had them and the focus was “hero’s no more”. It was about how I’m the beginning of the pandemic we were hero’s, but soon, we became the target for misplaces aggression, for the pandemic, for our beliefs and the severe abuse everyone received from patients. It’s true, they have been angrier and more abusive than they ever were. Staff was lost due to this. Many left shifts in tears. The abuse became physical at points. Everyone got to talk it out today from the chief medical officer all the way down

Sever burnout is happening. And when pay doesn’t match the effort, people say “f this”

K
kml Offline
K
Exactly. This is no ordinary “correcting misinformation a patient got off the internet”. It’s like trying to deprogram your patients from a cult. Exhausting, demoralizing when they die because of it. And I can’t imagine how much worse for the ex hospital staff who have been told to change out of their scrubs before they go to their car so they don’t get attacked by Covid denying nut jobs.

Last edited by job; 02/19/22 01:56 PM. Reason: edited a word for kml
K
kml Offline
K
Demoralizing when they DIE because of it

Corrected the word "die" in previous posting for kml.

Last edited by job; 02/19/22 01:56 PM. Reason: edited a word for kml
D
D
Originally Posted by Ginger1
At work, I would say biannually, we have these rounds that target the role and feelings of all of the staff in the hospital in certain situations and cases. Today we had them and the focus was “hero’s no more”

Now this is a totally legit issue and way way different than wanting/having to argue about masks or vaccines or ivermectin or the like. If providers are quitting over those discussions I maintain they may need a break. I see this no differently than flu shots or diets or medication or treatment compliance because it really is the same. A diabetic refusing to follow their treatment plan or person refusing flu shots should not be any more frustrating or push a provider over the edge anymore than a Covid shot or wearing a mask. If it does there’s more going on with the provider and they’ve lost their way.

But the hero’s no more is hitting multiple professions. These medical people took at least a psychological if not actual risk into the unknown to come to work early on. Grocery store people and truck drivers, delivery people did the same. Then we get farther in and they are treated poorly by customers or patients. Far worse yet many were treated poorly by their employers and had their jobs threatened if they did not comply. Just look at the Canadian truckers. I know so many healthcare workers who quit over this together with abuse from patients and then forced overtime, extra shifts on and on. How’s that saying go, no good deed goes unpunished. Then you have the whole defund the police BS and all the damage that has done in much the same way. Then we wonder why we can’t get people to work. All of this is related to the many unintended consequences over the last two years. Who feels really appreciated in their job right now? It can just be worse when you go from being honored and praised to ridiculed, mistreated and unappreciated.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline
K
Don you gotta turn off the Fox News. Seriously.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by DonH
Just look at the Canadian truckers.
Originally Posted by kml
Don you gotta turn off the Fox News. Seriously.
LOL - the reality on the ground is far different than what the media shows.

Yes - there are some very vocal noisy people out there but they've not made many friends here. Certainly some support from the dwindling fringe element. My local Walmart had "a" truck honking in there a couple of weeks ago and waving flags.

Nazi flags, defecating on the National War Memorial, defacing the statue of a national hearo who gave up his life to draw attention to the need for funding for cancer research, threatening violence - weapons caches have been seized in Alberta - the greater majority of people are not supportive. A young friend of mine was very frightened after being threatened with physical violence and having homophobic slurs thrown at him. It's being well documented that quite a lot of the money that was sent in support of these people came from other countries who are trying to interfere in our internal affairs.

Sigh - steps down off soap box.

---

Blizzard warning here. Going to stay home and putter instead of getting my roses and groceries today. Sunshine mixes in with zero visibility and many roads are closed.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline
K
Plus I heard on the news that 90% of Canadian truckers are already vaccinated. Surely the remaining 10% can just take jobs that stay within Canadian borders if they don’t want to be vaccinated?

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard