Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
L
L
Maybe it's because my kids are young and I keep them completely out of my dating life I can't comprehend this dynamic?

K
kml Offline
K
Imagine if your best friend knew both you and a potential date and advised you to stay far away from her based on knowledge he had about the woman - you wouldn't listen to him? Same sitch.

L
L
Well I will still make the decision on my own. Maybe my best friend doesn't want me dating because it takes away from our golfing etc.

T
T
Originally Posted by LH19
Well I will still make the decision on my own. Maybe my best friend doesn't want me dating because it takes away from our golfing etc.
LH, wow--you expect such selfishness from the people closest to you?

K
kml Offline
K
Well if your best friend was right the LAST time, and the last tie you ignored him it turned into a giant sh!tshow, wouldn't you think you would be inclined to listen to him the second time around? I sure would.

L
L
Originally Posted by kml
Well if your best friend was right the LAST time, and the last tie you ignored him it turned into a giant sh!tshow, wouldn't you think you would be inclined to listen to him the second time around? I sure would.
Point taken. I forgot he warned him about the circus that came to town.

L
L
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I struggle with this myself. Now I'm 6 years or so out and thoroughly divorced. Dated a couple of women, the last one of whom did quite the number on my ability to trust.
So I brought this over to your thread to not hijack Stella's. You were not the victim here. It was 1000% on you what happened. You were pretty much warned by everyone. The real question is did you learn from it?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My thread title is certainly turning out to be prophetic. What a week! Just had an order come in for 46 tonnes of product that we rarely sell. There's been a bunch of back and forth with this customer so I know the order is legit - I just didn't expect this size of a release all at once so I'm having to scramble to get containers to put this stuff in.

The loads I get into the plant max out at about 30 tonnes and the outbound loads out of this section of the plant are about 28 tonnes less the weight of the containers. Going to take some head-scratching to get this through and fit it around the other orders. I expect I have about 8 weeks though at least for the full order. Since it's going to the middle of Quebec we might just get a couple of special trucks in for it and haul it direct rather than through the warehouses.

Rail has continued to be problematic. The planned service for last night didn't happen - given bad weather that's not too much of a shock. I now have an about 3 week backlog of cars sitting in the regional hub. Compared to some companies we don't move a lot of cars so I imagine that they are stacked up pretty bad. We've had at least a couple of times when we did get some cars but they couldn't get to the ones we really needed. Right now we have only 1 transload car on the siding that we can do anything with - usually we have about 6 or 7 cars on a Friday morning to work on.

Our customers have been good but they are losing their patience pretty fast as this is impacting them and by extension their customers quite badly too. We have 1 major rail customer that we are I think about 8 cars behind in shipping.

It's been tough on the guys. Usually the guys who deal with the cars come in around 4:30 or so and leave before 3:00. Lately they've had days they've needed to stay until 7:00 or 8:00 at night to finish closing up the cars. They're not happy I'm sure. I've not talked to many of them though because I'm still working from home like I have for the last 4 weeks.

---

Heard from my son multiple times this week and he even stopped by earlier in the week to return my roasting pan. He's doing well all things considered. He seems a lot "lighter" having that old job behind him. He's told me a few more things that highlight that there were some significant toxic elements to the job. He said he's got enough cash on hand to get through to the end of March without any issue.

I took a look on the community job boards and there's a good number of openings in the area that he's qualified for. He's applied for a few that are outside of warehouse work but said that if nothing happens with those that he'll apply for warehouse work. I think he wants to work with people more than driving a forklift really allows him to do.

So nice to see him taking positive steps and taking charge of his destiny. A bit weird to hear from him so much but I think it's a combination of lonely plus excitement about his new kitten. The kitten and his older cat (who used to live here with me) are slowly getting to know each other and it seems to be going well.

We'll have brunch again on Sunday and catch up some more. I'm pretty proud of him for how he's handling all of this.

Not heard much from my daughter lately - I'll have to see about having an actual call with her sometime soon to catch up. She's just started working outside the house recently (she's a great housewife) and so isn't as available as she used to be for phone calls. There's a 3 hour time difference and she and her husband have a life. They'll be coming up on their 10th anniversary soon - where does the time go ... I was browsing old pictures and they were last up here about 7 years ago for my father's funeral. They have talked about coming for a visit which I'm sure will be surreal for them. I am pretty sure they have had visits from her mother and OM and I've visited them a bunch of times although not since they moved to the West Coast. I'm sure seeing just me and all these empty rooms in the old homestead will be odd for her.

Still - no actual plans have been made. I'll certainly try to get out there to visit them sometime in the summer. It looks like we'll all be pretending things are normal by then.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline
K
Pretending things are normal - that’s a good way to put it. Right now people are pretending this Omicron spike is over in places where it’s really not yet. I had a woman cancel her appointment for 3 family members because she wouldn’t make her 14 year old daughter wear a mask - in a doctors office - in a state where it’s required! I’ve cared for her family for years but am thinking of sending a letter saying that we anticipate requiring masks for the foreseeable future and that perhaps they should transfer care for this problem to their primary care doctor. (Who will probably also require masks!). The disrespect to other patients and our staff really is getting to me.

One problem we will be dealing with in the US - a severe shortage of primary care doctors. This was happening before the pandemic (who can afford yo go into primary care if you graduate medical school with $400k in loans?) but we are also looking at baby boomers doctors retiring. And one factor in them retiring earlier than they might have otherwise is dealing with the sudden increase in selfish, inconsiderate, anti-science patients. I’m seeing doctors all around me deciding to just chuck it a couple years early.

I’m stocked up in toilet paper, Andrew. What other shortages will we be looking at?

D
D
Originally Posted by kml
One problem we will be dealing with in the US - a severe shortage of primary care doctors.

Very true. One of my clients has been trying and struggling with ways to address this. Sadly peoples trust in doctors and the medical community in general are falling rapidly. So much misinformation, constantly changing edicts, and on and on. Sadly they are joining police, teachers and the media in a lack of trust from the public. Our healthcare keeps getting more expensive and the quality keeps dropping. On top of it so many physicians aren’t even allowed to truly practice medicine anymore. First it was the insurance companies who told them what to do. Now it’s their institutions who force them to practice by hospital protocol regardless of what they’d rather do. And if that’s not bad enough increasing numbers of pharmacists are refusing to fill their prescriptions, thereby overruling the physician and then medical boards are sticking their noses into things they have no business getting involved in. No wonder more and more physicians report telling their children, friends and family not to choose medicine as a career. We are all in big trouble if things don’t start to change. And these last two years of nonsense have poured gasoline on this already burning fire.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard