Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
K
kml Offline
K
Remember, all, though, that deaths in hospitals right now from Covid are at the same levels as last winter. Most of those now in unvaccinated people. The documentary on Hulu The First Wave is about the initial wave of Covid, but the same darn thing is happening today in ICUs around the country - largely unnecessarily now. But with greater shortages of healthcare workers. And yeah, we have a few more treatments - but not enough and not strong enough to save everybody (imagine how much higher the deaths would be right now if we didn't have monoclonal antibodies and antivirals).

I hope, like you all do, for a quieter spring and summer. I hope the BA.2 "stealth" Omicron variant doesn't slow our recovery from this spike. But do not get overconfident. We cannot predict what will come in the future. A new variant that can evade our prior immunity is still a distinct possibility, made more likely by the extremely high numbers of people infected in this last wave. Covid will not "go away" nor is there any guarantee it will become milder. The best tool we have to keep people from dying is to stay up to date on your vaccinations and boosters.

K
kml Offline
K
P.S. watch that documentary to see what health care workers have gone through and are STILL going through. If I hear one more patient tell me they're not getting vaccinated because they "did their research" I'm gonna throw up.

G
G
Originally Posted by kml
P.S. watch that documentary to see what health care workers have gone through and are STILL going through. If I hear one more patient tell me they're not getting vaccinated because they "did their research" I'm gonna throw up.

We just had a patient die of covd who came in with a "list of demands". NO remdesivir, no vaccination, no blood transfusions from someone with covid. Only to be treated with IVermectin. Guess what. He died at 68.

A 300lb unvaccinated 48 year old refused remdesivir too. But agreed to actemra. Makes no sense at all. He made it out. Age was on his side.

I had a 44 year old patient who went on and on about how she is anti vax ( like every vaccination). SHe got Covid, had a rough recovery, then came back for extensive PE's and actually said to me " I take alot of vitamins and tumeric, I don't understand why I am so sick".

This is where validation comes in handy. because i really wanted to say " really, you Fing idiot? you have no clue why you are so sick?!" Can't afford to lose my job

K
kml Offline
K
Ugh. I hear you.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ginger1
This is where validation comes in handy. because i really wanted to say " really, you Fing idiot? you have no clue why you are so sick?!" Can't afford to lose my job
My former doctor who retired a couple of years ago was hugely frustrated by the fact that so many of her patients had conditions that were essentially their own darned fault. I know my xW hated going to see her just to hear "if you lost a few pounds ...". At 4'11" and about 190lbs at the time it was no surprise that she had sore joints and some other pain issues as far as the doctor was concerned.

The doctor eventually went on sabattical and went to Israel for a few years just to get away from how people are around here.

Before she left, my xW took up hiking (which eventually became her cover story to see OM a few years later) and even did a couple of those "warrior dash" endurance races where she successfully finished. She was still pretty heavy by some people's standards when she left. No clue if she kept it up but I have my doubts. I was very proud and supportive of her for making these active choices for her health (not so about the OM thing crazy)

For me, I'm quite a lot heavier than I want to be - back to pre bomb-day weight in fact. I did get down to 100 kg post bomb-day which is where I should be at. I think I eat pretty well which is an advantage of liking to cook - just undoubtedly too much. Portion control has always been an issue for me. I'll start making breakfast (my favourite meal) for example then look at it and realize that I probably could feed two with what I made. I know what I need to do with my diet - I paid a lot of attention during the divorce diet phase - just have to actually do it. Through the week is easier because I have an enforced portion control by the size of the lunch I make for myself which has a balance of fruit, vegetables, proteins and carbs). Breakfast of 2 eggs and porridge (just oats with a bit of local unpasteurized honey) is the standard then too vs some of the more elaborate things I'll do given time.

Still fuzzy headed and snuffly here. Going to keep isolated. I have enough groceries to get me easily through into mid-week next week without effort although I will run out of some things. I could probably easily go over a month if I had to before getting right to the end of things although it would get a bit monotonous towards the end. I hope to get out of here on Monday to top up the groceries but am feeling that I'm stuck inside for the weekend still. I want to be symptom free for at least a day or two before I interact with others.

Work continues to be tough. The railway didn't show up again last night which is leaving us tight. We have product we need to have in and need to get out and it's just not moving. One of our biggest customers is leaning on the railway (they are also one of the railway's biggest customers) to get us service tonight.

Ah well - time to focus and go through some numbers to see how to tick off the least number of customers.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Sorry you are sick. Here's hoping you kick the crud soon and Monty doesn't get it. LOL At least he has you home more, so there is that. Take care of yourself and rest when you can. And, still, come get your d@mn weather out of my yard. Winter can be done and just go straight to h3ll now.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
K
kml Offline
K
Andrew - the problem with self-righteous doctors about people’s weight is that everything they learned about obesity is wrong.

Sure, if someone is drinking soda all day and eating nothing but fast food - that’s a lifestyle obesity issue (although one enhanced by addictive chemicals in the food and economics that result in soda being cheaper than juice and food deserts in poor neighborhoods).

But - obesity is not as simple as calories in and calories out. Stool transplants can make a skinny person fat. Toxic chemicals in our environment and our food cause weight gain. Repeated restrictive diets lower your metabolic rate.

Modern medicine still has very little success with long term weight loss, and it’s offensive when they berate their patients without offering real solutions. I’ve had patients who were following strict 1200 calorie a day diets and not losing weight, while their doctors told them to “put down the cookies”!

D
D
Originally Posted by kml
The best tool we have to keep people from dying is to stay up to date on your vaccinations and boosters.

Sadly that is very true. Even more sadly it’s in large part our own doing and healthcare epic fails. What other illness is a vaccine pretty much the only tool being pushed. It’s all vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate even though the vaccines have fallen far short of what was advertised they would provide. Other countries are using a variety of early treatments and have done studies that appear to show these treatments work. The US has largely tried to keep treatments away from patients going as far as to dissuade and even persecute physicians who dare to use them. When that fails they try to get pharmacists to stop filling their prescriptions. And if that doesn’t work they go after their licenses - those who have not already been threatened with termination if they dare practice medicine. Even the newly released treatments are not being pushed. What other illness is the patient essentially told “well you should have gotten vaccinated. Go home and come back to the hospital if you get really sick and can no longer breathe.” What a joke. It’s been two years and we are doing no better than we were when this started or as KML states even with huge vaccination rates in the elderly and more than one out of two in all adults we still have the same number of deaths. That’s a healthcare fail.

Sadly healthcare is failing at an ever expanding rate outside of Covid with more and more staff getting frustrated and leaving the profession. It’s not good. It’s going to get way worse.

As for the weight loss, I don’t know a lot about it. I weigh the same now that I did in high school. I have noted however many who claim they’ve tried everything, they claim they have exercised, reduced calories, tried all sorts of diets, yet if anything they gain wait… until one day they get bomb dropped or divorced, or they have a family tragedy or they become very sick… and like magic within weeks to months they lose large amounts of weight. Wonder why that is.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
B
B
Originally Posted by DonH
As for the weight loss, I don’t know a lot about it. I weigh the same now that I did in high school. I have noted however many who claim they’ve tried everything, they claim they have exercised, reduced calories, tried all sorts of diets, yet if anything they gain wait… until one day they get bomb dropped or divorced, or they have a family tragedy or they become very sick… and like magic within weeks to months they lose large amounts of weight. Wonder why that is.
All I can say to this is I lost 25 pounds in less than 2 weeks after BD. Why? Because I could not keep food down. I felt physically ill if I ate more than 3 teaspoons of food at one time. It got to the point where I was drinking my food thanks to the Nutribullet my parents gave me. I would make one smoothie with veggies and protein and vitamins and have to nurse it all day, because even that would make me sick if I drank more than a couple of mouthfuls every couple of hours. Within 8 weeks I'd lost 45 pounds. It wasn't a healthy way to lose weight. I also did not sleep more than 1/2 hour to (eventually) an hour at a stretch for months. I don't recommend it.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
D
DnJ Online
D
Ditto bttrfly.

That divorce diet is a terrible way to loose weight. Fitful sleeps. Anxiety. Terror. Yep, not recommended at all! Lol.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard