Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Awww....just got a LinkedIn type invite (but for a different group that is all doctors) from an old med school classmate. As I recall, this is a guy who had asked me out once, but was so sexually flirtatious on the phone before we'd even had a date that I ended up backing out (and my ExH at that exact same moment had approached me). What an idiot I was!

Now he's a successful orthopedist, and still looking darned good! Why on earth did I ever pick my exH over him? I've always regretted backing out of that date. (Honestly, I think it was just a cultural difference - me the pasty white Catholic girl, he was a black athlete from a rougher part of L.A., I just wasn't used to men being quite so sexually direct with me, but I think it was just more of a bravado thing where he came from. I had dated black men before but they were more from the suburbs.)

Of course, this is just a professional contact type thing - he's probably looking for referrals. It just makes me remember, though, what a bad choice I made in my ex. (To be fair, though, I know nothing about this classmate's life - maybe he was a serial cheater too!) He sure is good looking still though.

T
T
Originally Posted by kml
As I recall, this is a guy who had asked me out once, but was so sexually flirtatious on the phone before we'd even had a date that I ended up backing out

lol. kml, We've all NEXTed people for the most ridiculous reasons when we were young. With age and wisdom, we realize snap judgements are often wrong, and we're dealing with real people.

Besides, you don't know his full story. Maybe he has terrible breath?

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Maybe he has terrible breath?

Lol - yeah, that's what I'll tell myself!

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Wow - just had a patient leave rather than wear a mask. Note: California still requires masks in indoor public places. And we are a DOCTOR'S OFFICE. Just because she says she's vaccinated doesn't mean A) it's true (people can easily forge the cards) and B) if true, doesn't mean her vaccine took or she couldn't be one of the small (but not zero) percentage of people who have an asymptomatic case despite being vaccinated (look up New York Yankees, Bill Maher). If she sits in my exam room for an hour without a mask, and happens to be shedding the virus, that air is a risk for an unvaccinated patient who comes into the room after her. (Some of my patients can't or won't get vaccinated. Some are immunocompromised and their vaccines may not take.) Aerosols can linger for quite some time in the air.

Really - after all this time, how hard is it to just wear the darned mask in the doctor's office? And almost all of my patients know I have an immunocompromised person in my home. The level of selfishness and disrespect is mindboggling.

I'm proud of the fact that throughout the entire pandemic, we have never had a case of Covid tied to a visit to our office - we have been diligent in our precautionary measures and intend to remain so until true herd immunity has been reached and there are no new dangerous variants threatening that. Really, our patients should feel safe coming to the office and Karens like her are not welcome. Our mask requirement is clearly posted on our front door.

D
D
Clearly it’s your office and you can make any rules you’d like. No argument from me there. Thing is you just don’t get it, people are done. They are beyond fed up. They have been for a long time and then when the “experts” can turn on a dime like they have in the past few days, people all wonder and have to think WTF? That moron Fauchi has spoken out of every orifice of his body and contradicted himself five times over since this started - so much so that even Saturday Night Live is spoofing him. When you’ve lost SNL and liberals like Bill Maher, you know you've lost your way - or at least lost your support.

So yes you can set whatever rules inside of your office that you’d like but patients can then respond with their feet and apparently one just did. Doesn’t mean they are right or wrong, or that you are right or wrong, it just means many have had it and are not doing it anymore - and that is their choice. You’ve made your choice, now they are making theirs.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It’s still California state rules as well. It’s illegal for them not to wear a mask in my office. And I’m a scientist , my rules are based on the science. Doctors offices have an obligation to make it as safe as possible for all our patients, some of whom are immunosuppressed. Anybody who cannot be bothered to wear a little mask for the duration of their visit because they’re “tired” of mask wearing is a selfish glassbowl that I am happy to terminate from my practice.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I really am appalled at the selfishness of people btw. Wearing a mask is a small step to take to save lives. We are not to herd immunity yet. What happened to people caring about the health of their neighbors? Doing something in v for other people? No it’s so “ me, me, me” I don’t wanna wear a mask WAAAAAas.

Btw - Bill Maher is a Libertarian bit a liberal - and he got Covid even though he’s vaccinated. He’s not sick (vaccines work) but he can give it to other people. If I got Covuu I d from an unmasked, asymptomatic vaccinated patient, I could give it to my boyfriend (chemo may damage his immune response to the vaccine) and to unvaccinated and immunosupresssd patients. FFS a mask is a simple thing to do for your fellow man.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Libertarian NOT a liberal.

D
D
Originally Posted by kml
I really am appalled at the selfishness of people btw. Wearing a mask is a small step to take to save lives. We are not to herd immunity yet. What happened to people caring about the health of their neighbors? Doing something in v for other people? No it’s so “ me, me, me” I don’t wanna wear a mask WAAAAAas.

Sadly, I think people caring about others, in general, is over. Now, I'm not saying that no one still cares about others because that is ridiculous, but in today's society, people in general, tend to be much more concerned with #1. I see your points and I continue to wear my mask when I go in places. Arkansas never had a mask law, but we did have a mandate and you want to talk about a bunch of rednecks screaming about rights. We even had law enforcement publicly coming out and saying they weren't wasting their d@mn time correcting non-maskers. Ok, fine...it is a mandate. People can choose. I chose to wear one and still choose to do so when I go places like Walmart because, though I am fully vaccinated, a great percentage of people in my area are not and won't ever be. We are still required to wear them at work as well, so again, I wear it except when I am in my office, by myself, with the door closed. My mother in law had a couple of appointments yesterday at one of the larger hospitals in our state and I took her. During the pandemic, I was never allowed to go in with her to assist her and push her around in a wheelchair, but with loosening restrictions, yesterday I was allowed to go in. We were stopped at the door, temp checked and though we both already had masks on, we were given another one and told to either exchange it for the one we were wearing or put it on over the one we were wearing. I just put it on over the one I already had on because I didn't want to stick that one in my pocket then put it back on my face later.

I see Don's point too, though. People are fed up and even experts seem to contradict themselves, so people just don't know what to believe. People have a right to choose. While I always did and will continue to wear a mask in large crowds, at least for the time being, I recognize that others have the right to choose not to since Arkansas no longer has any type of mandate in place requiring it. I think that this is a debate that will continue forever, but the underlying thing is that people tend to only be concerned with themselves and what directly affects them, so they aren't thinking about masking for others because it just doesn't affect them personally. That is MY take on it anyway and I'm sure others have different ideas.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
T
T
Traveling to rural Washington, I’m baffled by the inconsistent policies. On my plane the flight crew said no masks needed eating or drinking. The person next to me pulled up her mask a dozen times for 5-seconds to take bites. The person behind me took theirs off for 20-30 minutes while his drink was in front of him.

At shops, people wear masks at the work counters, but not when stepping out to chat with guests.

The etiquette has gotten complicated since the CDC said no mask is required outdoors if you’re vaccinated. Since, of course, there’s no way to tell, and those against vaccines now also take their masks off.

Everyone I’ve spent time with 1:1 outdoors since that change has wanted marks off (mask fatigue) either because they’d been double vaccinated (80%) or they’re against vaccinations (20%). Usually, when my area’s locals remove their mask, they stare their vaccination status. The 20% who I know well enough tell me when they’re pushed to answer they claim to be double vaccinated to play the new legal game since they see COVID as a bad flu that’s been overblown. The 80% is highly offended when they hear this

What are your thought on this policy change? Is the risk of outside transmission just so low the CDC isn’t concerned?

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard