Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
T
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I had suggested we could load 3 cars of Chemical X and one of chemical Y (no we don't make little girls with super powers here)"

If we have 2 cars of xxx now and loading 1 today and if only making 1 car a day leaves with you 2 to load tomorrow, however what makes this correct is our plan to increase xxx production today while we unload the yy car and keep it there until we have enough to load the 3 X xxx cars on Thurs" My brain hurts.

Mine too, lol. I tried to make sense of this. You have 2 "X" chemical cars and 1 "Y" chemical cars and you can load/unload 1 car per day, so you wanted to send 3 "X" cars and 1 "Y" car at the end of the day.

His plan is to unload the "Y" chemical car today and load the "X" chemical car tomorrow, so you send 3 "X" cars and 0 "Y" cars tomorrow but have more capacity for future "X" cars since "X" production is increasing?

If that's half right, I see what you mean about simplicity vs optimization.

Originally Posted by Andrew
My boss starts at 5:00 so has a 2 hour head-start and it's tough to catch up. And today he started earlier than usual.

Andrew, I get the problems are interesting, but I'd echo the question if you want your life to be like his. There are many routes to comfortable living that don't require so many hours. My parents work 12-hour days together. Combined, they make a bit more than I do, but I work 6-8hr days. They were disappointed they couldn't find me or anyone competent (read: w/ college-level engineering classes) to take over the business. I considered it. Besides our issues, it's just not worth it for me. I want to enjoy my life. I want to spend time with my family.

"Mirroring" is a well known dating strategy after all. I joked that "likes long walks" was not going to be one I believed again and she suggested asking to see their shoes to see if they were worn down at all crazy

Love it! You know I've been hoodwinked on that, too. LH's and Deja's comments hit home that we should take time to build trust before we get to some all-in state. Back when I dated MsOneMonth (38F) last year, I believed she enjoyed hiking and camping because she "enjoyed" our 2nd date which was a 1-mile walk and picnic where she said, "Being in nature is like communing with God to me," and on our 3rd date she "enjoyed" a walk on the beach before we had sex for the first time. It was only when I planned a 30-60min hike for our first flight away that she revealed she hated hiking and had terrible blisters from both attempts. It eventually comes out. Don't invest too much. (:

One of the problems that I need to own is my own difficulty in actively sharing "my" space.

Yes! When my ex-GF moved in, I had problems sharing my space. For me, it was that too many objects held emotional weight. I've had a chance to process most of those de-cluttering my home but doubtless have more work. to do.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
As for work - it's expanding to take up entirely too much time. What can you do about this? Insist on an assistant? Demand a raise? Or take a different role in the company that provides a better lifestyle? It may well be that replacing what the boss used to do is simply too much for one person. Or the system is simply too haphazard to continue under anyone else and needs to be more automated.
We're caught in a catch 22 - too busy to train and bring someone else on to help reduce the load. I'm currently the only trainee they have room for - and even with that I'm just chucked off the deep end a lot of the time.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Originally Posted by CWarrior

"Mirroring" is a well known dating strategy after all. I joked that "likes long walks" was not going to be one I believed again and she suggested asking to see their shoes to see if they were worn down at all crazy

Love it! You know I've been hoodwinked on that, too. LH's and Deja's comments hit home that we should take time to build trust before we get to some all-in state. Back when I dated MsOneMonth (38F) last year, I believed she enjoyed hiking and camping because she "enjoyed" our 2nd date which was a 1-mile walk and picnic where she said, "Being in nature is like communing with God to me," and on our 3rd date she "enjoyed" a walk on the beach before we had sex for the first time. It was only when I planned a 30-60min hike for our first flight away that she revealed she hated hiking and had terrible blisters from both attempts. It eventually comes out. Don't invest too much. (:

I TOTALLY agree that you should get to know each other before you get to that all in place. It takes time to get out of that "new" place where you have your guard up and you are on your best behavior (and by you I mean both people involved). You have to give it time to where you both actually start to get comfortable and get to a place where you can be be really real with each other. Using your own example, CW, I like to be outside and take leisurely strolls in any number of settings. I even like to hike a little, but my definition of hike and yours are likely VASTLY different. I want to go to a park or lake or river and stroll an easy trail and stop along the way to look at whatever interesting nature presents itself. That is hiking to me. You, CW, want to load up backpacks and climb a mountain. Now, neither of us is wrong nor are either of those things bad, but if you said you wanted to take me on a hike and I'm expecting my version of hike and get yours, well, my fat @$$ isn't going to get very far because I'll be dying on the ground because I'm not fit enough to keep up with you. As Andrew discovered with S, she claimed she liked walks, but then did it very little because of her back issues and various and sundry other reasons. My daddy says that when people show you who they are, you should believe them and it honestly takes people a little time to get comfortable enough to show you who they really are, but they do eventually.

Andrew, I'm sorry this job is so overwhelming to you. I suspect it is, in part, because you are a fixer and a perfectionist. Plus it is just a difficult job to learn all the ins and outs of and since it isn't automated, there is a lot of personal knowledge and movement of things that you haven't quite gotten down yet. You're a smart guy, though, and you'll get there. Please don't work yourself to death, though. Take some time for you and for Monty and to hang out with your son. You deserve it!

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Originally Posted by LH19
Is it bad luck or poor decision making? Next time take some time to get to know someone before you shack up with them. Eventually their true colors will shine through and you can adjust accordingly.

Funny... I thought this and some of the other exact same things you note when I first saw this. Thought about calling it out but just kept going. Nice I didn’t have to be the bad guy for a change. But it is interesting how many people chalk up bad choices and decisions as “bad luck.”

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
P
P
Originally Posted by DonH
Originally Posted by LH19
Is it bad luck or poor decision making? Next time take some time to get to know someone before you shack up with them. Eventually their true colors will shine through and you can adjust accordingly.

Funny... I thought this and some of the other exact same things you note when I first saw this. Thought about calling it out but just kept going. Nice I didn’t have to be the bad guy for a change. But it is interesting how many people chalk up bad choices and decisions as “bad luck.”

This is the problem... there is nothing bad guy about that statement. In fact, that used to be what this forum was all about... helping people see the actual reality versus their perceived reality. It is a tremendous gift really. Some embrace, some do not.

T
T
Originally Posted by Dawn70
I even like to hike a little, but my definition of hike and yours are likely VASTLY different. I want to go to a park or lake or river and stroll an easy trail and stop along the way to look at whatever interesting nature presents itself. That is hiking to me. You, CW, want to load up backpacks and climb a mountain. Now, neither of us is wrong nor are either of those things bad, but if you said you wanted to take me on a hike and I'm expecting my version of hike and get yours, well, my fat @$$ isn't going to get very far because I'll be dying on the ground because I'm not fit enough to keep up with you. As Andrew discovered with S, she claimed she liked walks, but then did it very little because of her back issues and various and sundry other reasons. My daddy says that when people show you who they are, you should believe them and it honestly takes people a little time to get comfortable enough to show you who they really are, but they do eventually.

Dawn, good point, what we've taken as exaggeration could be differences in meaning. You say Andrew's S may like walks but didn't due to back issues. MsOneMonth may have liked hikes but didn't due to foot issues. I prefer your more chartable view. I bet it's how they see it themselves. I'm sure they didn't get up in the morning thinking, "Let's trick CA_Warrior & Andrew!" Yes, they did hide the pain and blisters, lol, and liked us so wanted us to like them.

If you lived nearby I would definitely go on a hike with you just for your company--I'd just do it on a rest day, lol. I am going for another hike with MsStoryTeller(62F) next week because sometimes good company trumps speed. She's doing a dry run of a nature hike with me and I love identifying flora and fauna. (:

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Wasn't sure that I'd have anything to journal today but the world continues to surprise.

Work has been tough this week. I'm hoping to carve some extra "me" time out this weekend. It's a nice sunny day at present so cutting the grass and getting the clothes out on the line is on the agenda.

I slept in which was glorious until I looked at my phone. Work stuff from 2 hours previous. I just deleted 2 paragraphs where I was just getting started on the numerous details. What it boils down to is that my role is poorly defined and keeps growing. As what is essentially "middle-management" it's nice to have a purpose but practically speaking, a lot of things that stop at me really could just whizz right by. So - 1/2 hour out of my morning checking tank levels and sending instructions to people who already knew what to do.

I spent another hour or so going through various questions etc and digging into things related to my former role - which is also still my current role. I have some more things to figure out later that just look "odd" plus a few reports to do up that I just don't have time for through the week.

Made myself a decent breakfast and went through my grocery list. I'm doing my first attempt at ribs today. My ex-wife loved them and did a great job cooking them but rarely bothered. I have about 4 or 5 packages of them in the downstairs freezer that I'm working on emptying again so they are on the menu for the next while. I'm going to let them sit in the slow cooker all day. For a sauce I found one that I can make from scratch. Most instructions for cooking ribs involve slopping ketchup / commercial BBQ sauce over them. High in sodium and sugar. I found a recipe that uses pretty much basic ingredients, several of which I have to pick up. I enjoy cooking so making the sauce from scratch is no inconvenience at all - the opposite in fact. The sauce is tomato based and uses various vinegars to add a tang. It also involves something called "liquid smoke" that I've never heard of before. Rather a neat product. I'm not sure if I'll finish them off on the BBQ or not. Probably not - it's supposed to cool off and get damp later.

I've been dreaming very vividly again this past week. One night I was visited by three spectres. All women who I didn't recognize that seemed perfectly at home sleeping next to me. It was comfortable. Maybe I'm not cut out for a life of celibacy after all. Not that that is likely to change any time soon.

I have been trying to make some "me" time and have resumed working on the wooden clock that I had bought for myself for my birthday back in March. It was almost complete when I had to set it aside as being just "too much" right then. I now have it up on the wall and hope to perhaps get it running within the next week. The real question is if Monty ignores the pendulum. I think that in time he will.

In other news "20S" stopped by for a visit, to meet Monty and to tell me her news. The queen of poor choices is now in a relationship again. From what she says though this guy at least is passing the smell test with people who strongly disliked her past boyfriends. They've known each other socially for about 5 years and just started dating about 2 weeks ago. According to 20S - on their second or third date she stayed over at his place and just never left. She's expecting a ring from him as soon as his divorce from his meth addict ex is complete. They are planning on building a house together and have already signed up to get a puppy in a few months. Maybe she got lucky this time? She's going to bring him over here to be inspected some time soon AND pick up all of her stuff that has been here for years.

Well - enough for now. As much as I try to encourage the various woodland creatures, I still have to do the chores around here myself.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Yikes. Moved in less than two weeks after starting to date...expecting a ring...he’s divorcing someone...and she is only 20 years old? She’s definitely had some luck but it doesn’t sound like it is the good kind. It actually sounds like a nightmare...at least that’s how I would feel if it was my SD21. Geez Andrew... I know you live in a small town but is this normal? Maybe I am reading this wrong but you sound okay with this...even hopeful that this might be a good thing. Trust me...it is not. He has a meth addict wife? That is a HUGE red flag. While it isn’t always the case, generally birds of a feather stick together. And he let 20S move in already? Not the act of an emotionally healthy individual...on either side. Anyway...I hope I am wrong but I’d get ready for more drama in your life if I were you. Best of luck.

D
D
Word to the wise: if you use liquid smoke, use it very sparingly. A little goes a LONG way, so don’t get heavy-handed. I can’t believe you’ve never heard of it. It is a great little product, just requires precise use.

I agree with DV concerning 20s and her latest beau. What is up with people going all in with new relationships before they are divorced from their spouse? Is that a common Canadian thing or am I just way out of the loop? It could be me because I, personally, don’t think dating during separation is a good thing, but a lot of folks, my XH included, think it is no big deal. A meth addict? Well....as I used to tell my daughters, you are the company you keep.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
T
T
I agree "planning marriage after 2 weeks" and "ex is a meth addict" make this sound like not the wisest pairing. That's outside your control, of course, so I wish and hope the best for your D. Meth has a reputation as a harder drug than alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or ecstasy. It seems illegal drugs aren't a dealbreaker for her BF. I get he may not be as extreme a user as his ex, but I'd wonder if he dabbles. It's a dealbreaker for me because I have kids. It should be a dealbreaker for anyone with kids, planning on kids, or with a career that could be impacted by that.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard