Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
doodler #2889220 03/13/20 01:32 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by doodler
Originally Posted by Dawn70
I wish those tp hoarders would just calm down and do the same.

Why are people hoarding TP? It sounds like a bad joke.

It took a while to sink into my thick skull; it is a bad joke. People are hoarding TP so they can wipe out coronavirus.

I'm very sorry; I couldn't resist.

kml #2889232 03/13/20 03:18 PM
B
B
this is when being the child of two depression-era, wwII rationing surviving hoarders comes in handy. Found Dad's stash of masks this morning. And 12 rolls of toilet paper.

I *may* have a cold brewing, scratchy throat yesterday, a little congestion, runnyish nose. I'm wearing gloves and mask with mom and working from home. My boss told me to come in yesterday, so I did and I made sure to complete everything that needed to be done onsite. I developed a plan with a co-worker so the office can run fine with us all working from home. We're good. There's plenty of food in the freezer.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2889234 03/13/20 03:21 PM
job Offline
Our Governor announced that all public schools in MD will be closed effective Monday for two weeks. Now, Cardinal in DC has announced masses and Catholics schools will be closed as well. Priests will still be officiating for weddings and funerals, but only immediate families can attend.

Our particular county was spared...but this morning...one local middle school closed today because of suspected students showing signs of the virus.

Local community activities shut down, hospital, senior centers and nursing homes are now closed to the public. For the ER and the local walk in clinics, call first and they will advise you as to what to do before attempting to come there.

We have also been advised to cancel all non-essential appointments and reschedule them for mid to late April.

People need to take this situation seriously. I can't emphasize enough to wash your hands and keep a distance from others when out and about.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
kml #2889270 03/13/20 05:32 PM
D
D
Washing hands - absolutely... little downside there. Limit contact, especially shaking hands - easy to do and little downside. But masks???? More and more I’m hearing and seeing this is a BAD idea that may actually make things worse as the person constantly touches or readjusts the mask thereby increasing the chance of transmission by touching their face rather than decreasing. I’d re-think masks by non medical people.

It’s going to be very interesting to look back at all of this 6 months and a year from now. That includes all of the telecommuting and distance learning. If it’s good enough to continue to earn credits or work from home now, why not into the future? One of many many discussions we will have I’m sure.

I also totally agree that the number of unknown and undiagnosed cases is already huge - which is why over time we will see the death rate is not nearly as high as first thought and reported.

This has already been an unprecedented response to a virus. Only time will tell if it’s made any difference.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
kml #2889277 03/13/20 06:34 PM
O
O
I live in the worst place in the US for the virus at present (literally 1 mile away from 90% of the state death total). Have not put this on my own thread for what I hope are obvious reasons. Our schools just closed for months, public gatherings are limited in size. There has been hoarding, but we now have stuff back on the shelves. My aged mother who lives nearby and has a lung disease and cardiac issues will die if she gets it. I have ordered her not to leave her house and we are leaving stuff outside her door for her as she needs it. My gym has implemented strict stands on how far apart people have to be and I have hand sanitizer (that a client got for me elsewhere because I can't get it here) at the ready for everything. I've had the court of appeals on the other coast cancel oral argument and make decisions on briefs and I have an injunction hearing across the country next week I'm trying to decide what to do about because the client is freaking out about traveling. That said, life is seeming to go on relatively normally. People are out and walking about and jogging on the trails, etc. My assumption, perhaps jaded, is that anyone not sitting in their houses and not going out at all will get it at some point. I am looking forward to hearing more information on how those of us who are healthy and middle-aged will experience this, since it sounds like the young will be ok and the old will die.

kml #2889278 03/13/20 06:50 PM
B
B
Own people I know here who are in your profession are saying that civil cases are most likely going to be postponed and criminal cases are likely to be as well.

I'm making my own hand sanitizer and adding in a high quality pure lavender essential oil for it's anti microbial, bacterial and viral qualities. super easy (aloe vera gel and alcohol -keep the alcohol at least at 60%).

I'm in the same boat with my mom re lungs and heart issues. Her doctor just emailed me that things are moving fast and to limit contact with her as much as possible.

Stay safe and take all precautions.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2889279 03/13/20 06:52 PM
O
O
Rubbing alcohol?

OwnIt #2889282 03/13/20 07:27 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by OwnIt
Rubbing alcohol?
Rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol - C3H8O for you chemistry nerds out there and is the active ingredient in most hand sanitizers usually I believe at around 70%.

You can get it from many sources.

From what I've read, old fashioned hand soap is still very effective and probably better on your skin. We're using the IPA on wipes here at the plant to disinfect the equipment the guys touch at the beginning and end of every shift. Sort of a double-check as it were. Before we divested that unit, we used to sell a lot in to the printing business for cleaning. Industrial use IPA though should "NOT" be used for skin contact. It may contain trace amounts of heavy metals and other contaiminants.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
kml #2889294 03/13/20 08:41 PM
job Offline
Good luck finding rubbing alcohol! It's out of stock here and it's back ordered on most sites to get it sometime in April. I just happened to have 4 bottles on hand and have given several to my sister for herself and her two kids.

My mother is 86 and has some health issues, but she's still going about her business. She has a box of latex gloves and puts them on when she's out and about. Washing her hands is an old habit from teaching. In fact, she was in the grocery store this morning at 6 and said that people where in there with carts loaded and checking out.

I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers as this is a really nasty virus. Please stay safe, use good, common sense and wash those hands more frequently than you have ever done before.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
kml #2889368 03/15/20 02:03 AM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hope all are healthy and safe this weekend. My oldest son had a scratchy throat before he went to bed; hoping he’s not coming down with anything. frown

I went to Costco to get an eye exam - I’m overdue and realized I was going to run out of contact lenses. Waiting until almost closing time tonight to go try to exchange some wine I bought the other day (CMM has decided he wants the better stuff. Honestly I can’t tell the difference. Only a couple dollars difference so whatever).

After this I’m not going anywhere but work and home. Think I’ll move my drum kit downstairs to the living room and crank up my practicing (it was living in my walk-in closet which is the quietest place but oldest son sleeps upstairs afternoon and evening for his graveyard shift job, and CMM watches tv upstairs, so downstairs may be better right now). I need to beat the drums right now so I don’t beat CMM and my youngest son, who have been clashing. Also, I just joined a great FB group for women drummers and it has me fired up.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard