Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Blargh. On Friday night I started having a dry cough that I put down to dehydration, being tired and exposure to chlorine. It progressed to an upper respiratory infection of some sort or so it would seem. This morning when I got up, low grade fever, cough and congestion. I cleared out the driveway, realized that I wouldn't be very functional at work except perhaps as a vector to spread the plague and let everyone know that I was staying home.

I slept for another 5 hours, still feel like crap. Hopefully this passes quickly. As a giggle, one of the open items on my list is reviewing the different site's pandemic plans which were last updated in 2003.

Overall a good weekend. I took it fairly easy and did get a walk in. S came over around lunch on Saturday after dropping the freshly minted S13 off to his dad while I was still out running errands. My S25 left while I was out and told S that he was going to spend a couple of days with his mother. Which is highly out of character. He's not done that since Christmas 2 years ago.

S and I had lunch with a mutual friend on Sunday who is still in touch with my ex via social media who mentioned that my ex had indeed moved. I didn't bother asking where as I certainly have no plans to drop in for a cuppa.

I did have a theory that has been bouncing around my fevered brow since the weekend that perhaps S25's mother's new pad is closer to where he works and maybe he'll move in with her? It would be a good thing in many ways. He always did get along with his mother better than me and if he can have a low rent / rent-free place closer to work that would be good for him too. It would also be a certainty that he could take his cats with him too which would simplify many things.

He got home mid-afternoon and was in a very cheerful mood. I didn't ask about his visit and he didn't tell. When I went out to shift cars around I noticed some random things in his car that probably came from his mother that he'd left in there. This morning there was "of course" a giant block of cheese in the fridge from her. I find that more sad and a bit funny than annoying. It is nicer cheese than what I buy and that reminder of her running off with "the milkman" is perhaps a dig - or more likely just her being completely oblivious.

To use up the last of the self-rising flour I decided to make a loaf of beer bread - or what I need to now call "murder bread". S has a pretty severe alcohol allergy but we both thought that one can of beer 2 rooms away should be fine. Wrong. 15 minutes in she started to get symptoms. I opened the door and put a fan in to blow the fumes out but no good. She took some of the anti-histamines we keep for such an occasion and went off to pick up S13 and head back to her apartment frown The anti-histamines kicked in about 1/2 hour later and she said she'd be fine.

S25 and I still had a dinner of roast beef, gravy, potatoes and bread. He was "very" chatty and cheerful. Again, highly unusual. We talked about all sorts of things including his eventual moving out. He did suggest and I whole-heartedly agreed that he was more than welcome to come for Sunday Supper and then go out to his poker game around the corner and crash on the couch after. Poker does usually involved beer. So I think he's really getting enthused about being out of here. He's really enjoying his job as well which is fabulous.

So - we'll see where this all goes.

I have my Valentines plans in place. My friend at the cafe is baking up treats for both S and S25 to pick up Wednesday. I have flowers ordered for S that I'll pick up on Thursday evening. The cards to D27 and her H were in the mail a while ago. I'm glad that I didn't order them flowers as they are away on a vacation right now. My son-in-law in response to a comment of mine mentioned that they expect to see me sometime soon as well which will be great. It's been almost a year since the last time I saw them.

Well - time to check on work briefly then I think a nap with my book. It's pretty much a toss-up at this point if I'll make in to work tomorrow. Certainly not if I keep feeling like this. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
So, what you are saying is that you are Typhoid Mary? Yikes! I love beer bread, so sorry that is something you have to ditch for S's health. Maybe you could find someone to make beer bread for or with you outside your home so you can still have it on occasion.

The cheese/milkman thing kind of made me laugh. I really don't think XW is even thinking about it. But, as we have all said and realized before, you are the king of overthinking, so to think that she did it is a dig, I really think is just all in your head. I don't get the sense your XW was clever enough to come up with that, but I may be wrong.

If you are just looking for someone to send Valentine's flowers to, feel free to send them my way. I LOVE flowers!

Stay home and get well. I don't want to hear about the Canadian Typhoid Mary infecting half the country with his beer bread and coughy germs.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
K
kml Offline
K
Could have been the alcohol or could just be the gluten from baking bread and beer has gluten too. Just the aerosol of flour in the air from baking can be a problem.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Musing on the train ride this morning about paths not taken.

In the mid-80s I was introduced to a charming and beautiful woman by a mutual friend. Her sister in fact. The three of us had dinner one very pleasant evening to celebrate my friend's birthday. After dinner I walked her to her car we agreed that we both wanted to see more of each other, I kissed her good night and never saw her again.

Years have passed and this woman has gone on to achieve some fantastic professional success in a variety of fields. She married briefly once some years ago. We interact from time to time on social media although she may not remember me or the context. No way to know. I believe it makes S uncomfortable when she sees this person cross my field of vision. She recently wrote a memoir so "of course" I picked up a copy and finished it this morning on the train.

Over the years, I've mused on what different twists life would have taken had we dated, perhaps married. It certainly would have been a very different life than the one I led.

My heavens. Did I dodge a bullet. This lady, while outwardly successful deals with many demons that have shaped her life that I had no idea of. While I still think of her fondly and wish her well, I am grateful that the path I ended up on, even if it caused me to be here, wasn't that path. Her memoir is a raw examination of those demons, many of whom still torment her and probably always will. Her own musing about paths not taken though spurred on my own. A worthwhile read and an insight into a complex person. Not the normal sort of thing I read. I did just finish a nice biography of General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas - the father of Alexandre Dumas author of Count of Monte Cristo which had a basis in his father's life.

Feeling a bit better today. Head not as fuzzy. Probably shouldn't have come in to the office though. I'm working through my annual performance review - it may be interesting to see what the cold and flu meds are influencing me to write.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I believe it makes S uncomfortable when she sees this person cross my field of vision.

She probably notices the pup tent action you have going on in your pants.

Feeling a bit better today. Head not as fuzzy. Probably shouldn't have come in to the office though. I'm working through my annual performance review - it may be interesting to see what the cold and flu meds are influencing me to write.

Dude! Juicin' the hongos at work, huh? Higher than a freakin' kite. I bet you've been off-gassing too. You know, everyone knows what you're doing when you're sitting around the office with that sh!t faced grin.

Anyway, I came across a 25 foot wooden sloop that was built in Holland in 1954. It needs some work but it looks like it's in decent shape (based on the pictures - so no tellin'). It's free and it's up in New York, not too far from you.

D
D
Originally Posted by kml
Tease! Did you take someone??!

I made good on my promise and just posted an update on my thread. Just not sure how buried it is since I've not posted in months, so if looking:

https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2835006&page=8

Sorry for the hijack Andrew - but hey, I had all sorts of things I could have commented on (and wanted to) so it's still a win for you since I'm just posting this and keeping my mouth shut on the rest. smile

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline
K
Her memoir is a raw examination of those demons, many of whom still torment her and probably always will.

Wait - you almost dated Joni Mitchell???

D
D
Andrew,

There are rumors down here in Florida that there's been some hydrochloric acid off-gassing at an acid plant up there near you. Are you filling out paper work? Is S's husband still with us?

Additionally, I don't think it was Joni Mitchell because she apparently doesn't have a sister and she was married twice (one brief, the other not so brief). I don't think it'd be Diana Krall (she's smokin' hot).

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
Anyway, I came across a 25 foot wooden sloop that was built in Holland in 1954. It needs some work but it looks like it's in decent shape (based on the pictures - so no tellin'). It's free and it's up in New York, not too far from you.
Is it perhaps a FolkBoat? I came across one of those for sale on the side of the road maybe 20 years ago. The owner came out to talk to me when I stopped to look at it. He'd retired and spent years fixing her up and had intended to cruise the InterCoastal. Just as he was about done, his doctor told him that he had to stop sailing as his health wasn't up to it. Heart-breaking. A reminder to not wait for "some day" to do something you love. He'd done a beautiful job on it although I didn't agree with him epoxying the laps. There's a lot of these out there and they do often go fairly cheap. A rather narrow beam so they presumably require some careful attention to the tiller and sheets.

Originally Posted by kml
Her memoir is a raw examination of those demons, many of whom still torment her and probably always will.
Wait - you almost dated Joni Mitchell???
Nope although she is also a musician in addition to her other talents. She sang backup for Tina Turner at one point.

Valentines Day Eve and I've discovered that my cat Amy likes tea. Ewwww. Whiskers in my tea that aren't mine.

I'm on day 7 now of being under the weather. Felt pretty good when I woke up but started coughing shortly after. Saving a bunch of money on gas and transit fees at least by staying home. My boss had a quiet word with me on Tuesday and told me that it was a bad idea to come in to the office. Hopefully another couple of days of taking it easier and I'll be fine. Each day I feel better. I've told the office that I'll not be in for the rest of this week.

In some ways it's good that I'm not traveling. S - who has a bad back and suffers from spasms had her back go out on her rather badly yesterday morning. I got a text from her that she was on her way over to here to get a hug and some comfort. She was barely mobile. This happens to her about once a year and takes her a couple of weeks to get back to her version of normal. Unfortunately among her various allergies is also pretty much all of the standard pain meds so she has to just tough it out.

She went to the chiropractor - taking herself - she's stubborn - who prescribed rest, heat and when she's up to it some new exercises to strengthen her core. On the way back she picked up S13 who was ill at school and they're probably here for a couple of days. I popped out for some extra groceries for here and dropped off food for a few days to S17 who is fairly happy to have the apartment to himself for a few days although he's told his mother that he's eager to move into the house here.

I certainly got my bonus points. S needed help to dress and undress and to get in and out of the tub which she had a nice long soak in. The only time I had to do anything like this in the past was with my ex on the rare occasions when she'd get falling down drunk. And of course with young kids. The principles are the same, just the size is a bit different.

This is I think one of the first times that S has had someone take care of her when she has her back out. I cooked for everyone last night (chicken stir-fry - best I could manage at short notice) so all she had to do was rest and get S13 to bed. Going to do a garlic sausage and potato bake for dinner tonight. I usually only cook dinner once a week so this is unusual for me. S wants to help but her back isn't up to standing for any length of time right now.

I picked up the treats for S from my friend's cafe around the corner yesterday. She did an amazing job - S will be so very pleased. I know she'll like the treats because S works part-time at this cafe. Later this afternoon I'll pick up the flowers for S - we may celebrate Valentines tonight. I also have a card and treat for S25 which I'll leave out for when he gets home from work tomorrow morning.

It will be nice to have my sweetie here on Valentines even considering the circumstances. I remember my last Valentines with my ex - I'd gone out of my way like usual to get her special favourite treats and a card which she barely glanced at. I got a generic card which professed undying love or some junk. At that point she was deep into the affair though. I was rather hurt by being ignored but had no clue at all as to the reason.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Is it perhaps a FolkBoat?

I'm not sure of the make. The listing mentions "Quest," but I think that's the name of the boat. It doesn't use laps, but it is a nice looking sailboat. Do this to see a picture of it:

Go to free-boat dot com and click "SAILBOAT" in the menu at the top of the page. Scroll down until you see "25' dutch wooden sloop (Kingston NY)." It should be on the first page of the sailboat listing.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard