Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
AndrewP #2878164 12/30/19 08:00 PM
job Offline
I feel like I am watching a rerun. LOL! I've popped up some fresh popcorn and am sitting here waiting to see just how this plays out.

She will be moving in long before summer, i.e., more like March/April.

The young man inquiring as to the two of you getting married....I wonder if he is hoping that it will happen and soon. Like most kids, he may think you've got an endless wad of money and figures you'll be spending quite a bit on the new family. Kids do dream about a better life when they've had to be on a tight budget.

Andrew, you wear your heart on your sleeve and I worry about you. S may be a wonderful woman, but you two are moving too fast and need to really slow things down and just enjoy the day.

BTW, if the crew moves in, your young friend is going to have to come get her stuff and soon....I see a move coming quickly.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
doodler #2878166 12/30/19 08:03 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
With the new systems they're using thousands of small satellites with overlapping orbits to form a grid of coverage. The orbits are relatively low and that's part of the reason for the high bit rate; the signals don't have to travel the distance required when using geostationary satellites. Because of the number of satellites involved, the receiver doesn't have to constantly track a specific satellite; it just picks up the strongest signal at any given time.

It makes me wonder if 5G cellular is going to fail. If you know what I mean. I think the total up-front investment for the StarLink system is about $15 billion. For 5G cellular, it's supposedly going to cost ten times that amount (shared by a variety of providers). I don't know, but I suspect that the cellular networks will slowly die. If that's true, you should short the cellular stock and go long on StarLink and Telesat.
My understanding is that the throughput rate even for low orbit transmission is significantly lower than even current tech. 5G (again my understanding) is more or less an improved usage of the FM spectrum that was freed up when our bunny ears were made useless.

On the other hand I recall teaching a course nearly 30 years ago to engineers where I posited the wisdom of the day that it was impossible to achieve anything higher than 9600 baud over copper. And that's direct data communication, not packetized. Wrapping the data in a packet adds significant overhead to the amount of data being moved along with the necessary "noise" to validate the receipt of each packet sent.

Assuming that the satellites are using straight TCP/IP vs something proprietary they have that added overhead. Given as well the additional overhead we see right now when shifting from one cell tower to another, there may well be more overhead if there are multiple satellites involved in the traffic for a particular device.

Smarter people than me are undoubtedly equipped with this knowledge.

I think that the big killer for 5G deployment in the near term are the geopolitical issues. On the other hand, few actually take full advantage of the capacity available to them at present and there is now an entrenched set of tech that people have invested in and will be reluctant to part with.

You do have a point about the investment appeal of companies who are able to leverage low earth orbit with connected tech. China's social credit system is undoubtedly going to expand to other countries. Data transmission and computing capacity will be necessary to power this.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
job #2878168 12/30/19 08:08 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by job
I feel like I am watching a rerun. LOL! I've popped up some fresh popcorn and am sitting here waiting to see just how this plays out.

She will be moving in long before summer, i.e., more like March/April.

The young man inquiring as to the two of you getting married....I wonder if he is hoping that it will happen and soon. Like most kids, he may think you've got an endless wad of money and figures you'll be spending quite a bit on the new family. Kids do dream about a better life when they've had to be on a tight budget.

Andrew, you wear your heart on your sleeve and I worry about you. S may be a wonderful woman, but you two are moving too fast and need to really slow things down and just enjoy the day.

BTW, if the crew moves in, your young friend is going to have to come get her stuff and soon....I see a move coming quickly.
Thanks ((job)). I was actually thinking about 20S's stuff under my back stairs, in the basement and the front porch this morning. I think it's there for a while still. She's made a series of choices that all of her friends including myself think are bad but we are still standing by her.

Enjoy your popcorn! And Happy New Year!

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
AndrewP #2878171 12/30/19 08:11 PM
D
D
From Fortune magazine on 10/22/2019...

The company [StarLink] is also promising high-speed internet of up to 1 gigabit per second, or about the top speed offered by cable and fiber companies today.

I've read articles that say it may even be faster than fiber in many cases (shorter distances from the satellites).

AndrewP #2878209 12/31/19 12:13 AM
G
G
M was a telecommunications guy, AkA, “the phone guy” and was pretty convinced 5g is a ploy by the government to fry our brains

doodler #2878251 12/31/19 01:45 PM
C
C

Years ago I lived in West Palm. (I worked at the super-secret *just kidding* Pratt & Whitney jet (and rocket) engine design/test facility that's out near Lake Okeechobee.) I liked West Palm. I did a sh*t load of body surfing off of Singer Island while I was there, and I did a little sailing as well.

My Brother In Law works at Pratt doodler, I just got back from spending a week at their house in Loxahatchee Acres for the holidays..

M - 9 1/2 years
5/5/16 - Bomb drop - 3 week EA
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
Coconut #2878262 12/31/19 02:27 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Coconut
My Brother In Law works at Pratt doodler, I just got back from spending a week at their house in Loxahatchee Acres for the holidays..

Wow! Small world. Is Loxahatchee Acres the residential area not too far from Pratt?

I worked there in the mid-eighties; that was before I-95 was completed. Can you believe that? I-95 ended just north of West Palm Beach; I've forgotten where you could get back on I-95, but I think the re-entrance was north of Stuart. When I first moved there I lived in an apartment on Lake Mangonia near the Palm Beach Mall, but I eventually moved to Jupiter. Jupiter was relatively small back then, but it was growing quickly and I'd imagine it's quite a bit larger than it was back then.

AndrewP #2878457 01/02/20 04:01 PM
D
D
Andrew,

When is the Canadian New Year? Why do Canadians smell like fries and gravy?

AndrewP #2878480 01/02/20 05:08 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Andrew,

When is the Canadian New Year? Why do Canadians smell like fries and gravy?
It's the national cologne. This year, Metric New Year happened to coincide with your's. A rare occurrence.

Happy New Year from a balmy Upper Lower Middle Kanukistan! The temperature has been above zero and will be for a few days. That should be helpful in finding the pieces that blew off of my next door neighbour's house during the storms we recently had.

Just to get the betting pool sorted out, I did make it through 2019 without S or her kids and critters moving in.

I haven't decided if I'm going to start a new diary this year or not but will continue to ramble on here. It's nice to have a community to share my journey with.

S has been under the weather for the last few days. It started as a tickle in her throat last weekend and turned in to some sort of cold etc. Fortunately I don't believe that I caught it despite my efforts otherwise. I delivered her soup and a hug on Monday. She had gone on the "don't worry about me" train but stopped when I pointed out that we had told each other that we would help the other out when needed. She seemed to be a lot better by last night.

She was also grateful that I picked up snacks etc for NYE so she never had to get out of her PJs. A fancy onesie with an escape hatch in the back. Her Christmas traditions involve everyone getting new PJs.

New Years Eve was good. S's D18 and BF19 hung out for a while and were very disappointed that no special snacks had been set aside for them as they have both suddenly decided that they are vegetarian.

S's family are action film fans (I'm not) and they voted on the Ryan Reynolds movie 6 Underground. What a horrible movie - no discernible plot and very contrived action scenes where the heroes would magically be fully functional immediately after any incident. They also watched it with the lights off and volume up. I did stay there and everyone else agreed that the movie was quite bad and that they had no clue what was going on either and regretted their choice.

After that, I got to put on the Black Adder Back and Forth NYE movie. There was much grumbling and S said that this was Andrew's NYE tradition. None of them are familiar with Black Adder but they did enjoy it I think, laughing at the appropriate bits. I had also brought some episodes of Dudly Do-Right of the Mounties which got a similar grumble then chuckle reaction. S12 I think quite enjoyed both sets of entertainment I had brought.

Later S and I and her S12 toasted in the New Year watching the ball drop in New York - a common tradition. I got smooched. S12 found a cat.

S12 was a bit disturbed when he realized that I was staying the night. S told me later that it was because he was probably wanting to climb in to bed with her and nothing to do with me. Given that S isn't feeling well and S12 in the next room the bed frame wasn't stress tested further.

The next day - yesterday - was busy. I did get up earlier than everyone else and took D18's dog who had been dropped off while they went to a party for a nice long walk in the snow while everyone else slept. S wanted my muscles to put away the Christmas stuff and to help with some other things around her apartment. I have a couple of things I had to bring home that need my workshop to fix. She made us a nice dinner that both boys showed up for. After I got home late yesterday afternoon I put away my own decorations as is also my usual thing. Later today I'll put my tree out for the wee birdies to shelter in until spring.

S25 was doing up the dishes when I got home (gasp) and we had a nice chat. He had a quiet NYE on his own I believe.

Some things of note - in no particular order.

S showed me a text that she sent to her STBX letting him know that she was starting the divorce proceedings so that they "could both move on". Personally I thought it was kind of a d!ck move doing that on new years eve but is there ever a good time for it? One of her biggest worries is losing her medical insurance but she is armed with facts that it's not automatic for her to be taken off and in fact it's automatic that she'll stay on because she has a pre-existing condition.

She is planning on talking to him in the next week or so in person. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. She had I believe planned on telling him about the divorce in person so I'm uncertain as to why she needed to text that to him and then show that to me. (yeah yeah yeah - I know the theories)

S did ask me for my assistance in disconnecting her Amazon account from her STBX's smart speaker which made me feel a bit awkward. She texted him later that she did that and that he could ask D18 to assist in setting up his own account.

I'm getting along well with both the boys. D18 is fine too I think although we don't interact much as she is officially moved out despite regularly overnighting still. S12 and I had a long conversation on the manufacturing process for sodium bisulphite and about plastic recycling. He's a smart kid and asks questions. He actually seemed interested too and had brought up the questions in the "so what do you do" interrogation.

S17 has joked to his mother that he hopes that she and his brother will move in with me and leave him in the apartment. His inability to make rent is a bit of an issue with this plan of his which isn't something real - just a teenager joking.

S12 is going to be starting his growth hormone treatments shortly. Physically he looks about 6. He doesn't like eating on top of things and that is one of the requirements of going on the treatment. S regularly threatens him with him needing to go to the hospital and be put on an IV if he doesn't eat. I believe that this is a legit threat. I don't know anything about his condition beyond that but do get the feeling that it is life threatening if he doesn't get treated. Fortunately he has good medical coverage through his Dad's plan. He otherwise seems quite healthy with the combination of hyper activity and in-activity that is common at that age.

S and I have talked more about the shape of the future. I did ask that we try to limit the number of critters involved by not adding more and she agreed willingly. She knows that it's a fair amount of work and given her issues with her back struggles even with her one small dog. I can't really help especially with a dog as I'm not around through much of the week due to my commuting schedule.

We have both similar and dissimilar ways on how we like to live. She is a night owl and I'm an early riser. She has a reliance on her boys pitching in to keep the place neat (legit and good) where I'm a "if you see it, deal with it" guy. This means that I have a significantly higher level of tidy than she does. She does seem to prefer things being tidy but I think struggles both physically and mentally to get there. A combination of back pain, ADD and trying to get the kids to help out sabotages her.

We have no dates or timelines or even sets of conditions that will put us over the edge to being an actual couple. I honestly don't know how it would work out. There are a lot of moving parts. I do expect S25 to move out sometime this spring assuming that he gets one of the jobs that he's applied for. That simplifies things. S acknowledges that in her last relationship that she rushed things and that it did damage to the kids and herself. She doesn't want to make that mistake again. S17 is still in therapy undoubtedly in part because of the stress of it.

Well - back to it. I'm working from home today and have started some full backups which I do every quarter. I also have a stack of lottery tickets including one bought on NYE to check. Who knows - my life may change abruptly. Probably not though.

It is amazing how things have changed for me in the last few years. My past life is very much behind me I feel. The future does indeed look bright albeit somewhat blurry. And I can't find the right glasses.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Just to get the betting pool sorted out, I did make it through 2019 without S or her kids and critters moving in.

How much stuff does she already have at your house? What is the definitive determinant of when she's actually moved in? I need to know so I can calculate the move-in date and the amount of money I'm willing to risk.

S12 was a bit disturbed when he realized that I was staying the night. S told me later that it was because he was probably wanting to climb in to bed with her and nothing to do with me. Given that S isn't feeling well and S12 in the next room the bed frame wasn't stress tested further.

I suspect the reality is that S12 was disturbed because his mom is sleeping with another man that's not his dad. I'm sure it's happened before, but in my opinion, when you see that happen, it's time to excuse yourself and go home.

S showed me a text that she sent to her STBX letting him know that she was starting the divorce proceedings so that they "could both move on". Personally I thought it was kind of a d!ck move doing that on new years eve but is there ever a good time for it? One of her biggest worries is losing her medical insurance but she is armed with facts that it's not automatic for her to be taken off and in fact it's automatic that she'll stay on because she has a pre-existing condition.

That was a d!ck move on her part. And, the fact that she wouldn't be progressing with the divorce if you weren't in the picture bothers me. You're the OM. You're doing to her husband what was done to you. I know, he's not the best husband or dad, but I just don't think it's right.

I hope I haven't chased you away. I know that I'm not aware of a lot of the details of your relationship with S, but it makes me feel uneasy that she's still married and you're the catalyst for ending the marriage. Also, we need to get through this thread by the end of the month (using the Georgian/Julian calendar).

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard