Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
Grace21 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Sometimes I wonder if I'm meant to do anything right now, such as a post-nup. When I was working on the Marriage Settlement Agreement, my paralegal had a stroke about Christmas time, and the agreement never really got drafted. Then H and I talked a bit, and we changed it to a post-nup. I contacted the attorney's office yesterday to see the status of the doc (I sent the criteria last week), and now my attorney is "seriously ill". I don't know what from. Flu maybe. Anyway, now this is delayed.

I feel like I'm loosing momentum. Towards what? Hmm. Good questions. It's making me question why I'm not just filing for D. It's making me question whether these are ways in which God is delaying this so He can work some more.

I think about H way too much. Still. It never seems to be in detail, but he seems to hover in the recesses of my mind all the time. I don't like it. It's starting to annoy me.

Anyway, all else is good. D20 had a good week, and she sees a new therapist tomorrow. S22 is receptive to a friend of mine (retired HR/Recruiter type) to help him with his resume, giving him pointers, and the job search. I think my friend is enjoying helping him. Maybe gives him something different to work on in his retirement. I don't know, but I'm grateful.

H is silent. We had a brief exchange about a reimbursement he had (that I initiated) for a big medical expense from his FSA. He said "at least that's one piece of good news".

Doom and gloom.

I didn't respond.

I wonder if he is still seeing a therapist? I don't ask.

Grace

Last edited by Grace21; 02/26/20 11:15 PM.

M: 56
H: 57
S: 22
D: 20

H Moved out: 10/1/18
O
O
Grace, what if you kept a calendar to chart your thoughts and emotions. Something quick, but that you can look back on to see your own trends or just to clarify your thinking. You could put a face that shows how you feel (happy/sad) and D or ND to indicate your thought on that day. Might be helpful in looking back on it.

When money is not a driving concern to get these things done, it does make it more difficult. In my case, I would lose a lot of money and benefits by finalizing, so that has obviously been a big impact in not doing so.

D
DnJ Offline
D
Good Morning Grace

I loved reading about the birds, animals, and flowers you saw. The weather in your slice of heaven sound better than mine. smile

Originally Posted by Grace21
I'm ready for D.

I'm not ready for D.

I'm done.

I'm not done

What am I waiting for?

Why wait?

Do I need to know the answer to that question?

From my view, you are challenging your beliefs. Questioning them. Strengthening them.

When you have questions be patient, listen to your values, alter and strengthen them. Answers will present themselves.

I have a bit of hope.

But so far no basis for hope.

Hope for what?

Your basis for hope is desire and the possibilities of the unknown future.

Expectations have seeped in a bit. Push them back and find hope again. Let no one take away your hope.

Hope is timeless. Hope is selfless.

You are questioning your hope as well as beliefs. In other words, finding your way to believe in hope. That is a powerful force. And a nice way to see the world.

I feel like I'm loosing momentum. Towards what? Hmm. Good questions. It's making me question why I'm not just filing for D. It's making me question whether these are ways in which God is delaying this so He can work some more.

I think about H way too much. Still. It never seems to be in detail, but he seems to hover in the recesses of my mind all the time. I don't like it. It's starting to annoy me.

I will share this. Yes, I believe God is delaying thing so He can work some more.

However, who do you think God is actually working on?

Peace and forgiveness are His blessings.

Grace, two and half years ago my wife blew up our lives, separated, and we divorced. I am still married in my heart and my values. A piece of paper doesn’t change anything.

Unless you need protection or security - why D? I don’t see things changing within your heart from a piece of paper anymore than mine did.

Stand in the light.

Live in the light.

DnJ

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
G
Grace21 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Good weekend!

Friday night happy hour with a friend. Saturday, a 31 mile bike ride with same friend! The day was a bit chilly, but gorgeous. Dinner out with D20 Saturday night, long walk on Sunday with another friend, church, and more time spent with D20. Did some cleaning, a little painting, a small project with D20, made a batch of French Onion Soup (which was fantastic), and 3 loaves of French bread (also yummy). Delivered a loaf to another girlfriend and had a nice chat. So, 3 friends, time spent with D20, yummy comfort food and lots of time spent outdoors, my happy place.

Life is Good.

Originally Posted by DnJ
Answers will present themselves.

DnJ – If you only knew how often I have shared these wise words with friends over these months. Thanks for the reminder to be patient and heed this advise myself!

Originally Posted by DnJ
Expectations have seeped in a bit. Push them back and find hope again. Let no one take away your hope.

Yep – you hit the nail on the head here. I was silly enough to think that because H doesn’t want a D, and he said he wants to “extricate himself from his current situation” that he would actually do it. And right away. Silly me. Back to no expectations.

Originally Posted by DnJ
However, who do you think God is actually working on? .

Well this hit me over the head like a ton of bricks! I’ve had this recurring thought in my mind lately, over the last few weeks or so. That the rest of my life is going to be spectacular. I can feel it. Maybe that’s what we call hope. I guess it doesn’t matter. So, who does God want me to wait for him to work on? Does me knowing the answer change anything? Nope. That is out of my hands, but the bottom line is I still feel compelled to wait.

Originally Posted by DnJ
Grace, two and half years ago my wife blew up our lives, separated, and we divorced. I am still married in my heart and my values. A piece of paper doesn’t change anything.

Thanks for sharing this, DnJ. It’s a concept probably only the people going through this and living it can really understand. It’s validating hearing it from you, and knowing you are in a really good place living with it.

Originally Posted by DnJ
Unless you need protection or security - why D? I don’t see things changing within your heart from a piece of paper any more than mine did.

Indeed. Why? I believe I will have regrets if I try to rush this process. To control the process. This week I will be focusing on the post-nup, as my attorney is supposed to be recovered from her illness. Saturday I will see H at the house, as I’ve asked him to come over to go through some of his stuff. We will see what unfolds.

That’s enough for now.

Grace

D
DnJ Offline
D
Good Morning Grace

Originally Posted by DnJ
However, who do you think God is actually working on?

Well this hit me over the head like a ton of bricks! I’ve had this recurring thought in my mind lately, over the last few weeks or so. That the rest of my life is going to be spectacular. I can feel it. Maybe that’s what we call hope. I guess it doesn’t matter. So, who does God want me to wait for him to work on? Does me knowing the answer change anything? Nope. That is out of my hands, but the bottom line is I still feel compelled to wait.

Grace, the person God is working on is you.

(He is also working on H, me, your friends, family, any anyone else who welcomes Him. He can multitask. smile )

Your spectacular life, the flowers, the birds, the animals, the slice of heaven your live in. The people in your life. The joy, the happiness, the hope. All blessings.

Knowing this answer makes all the difference. God is working within you. I have no doubt.

I know you know the grace and light I speak of. You feel it. It shows in your writing. It shows in your questions.

Live in the light.

DnJ

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
G
Grace21 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by DnJ
Grace, the person God is working on is you.

(He is also working on H, me, your friends, family, any anyone else who welcomes Him. He can multitask. smile )

DnJ

Yep!!! He sure is.

Life is good.

Grace

G
Grace21 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I started this yesterday, and have come back to it many times. I’ve made changes as I pondered the events to help me understand. I didn’t cover it all, but the process of writing, reading, and editing has helped me process the events.

H came to the house yesterday for 2 ½ hours.

Much was said.

Some things were revealed.

Nothing really has changed. For now.

Of course I prayed and prayed for guidance prior to his arrival.

I had informed H that D20 would be gone so it might be a good time to come over and go through some of his things, and that we needed to discuss the agreement. (D20 hasn’t spoken to or seen H since August).

Not sure how the agreement will ultimately look, as H is baulking at how to handle one or two items. We agreed to both look into a few items, and discuss it again. I will be sending most of the items to be included into the agreement to my attorney, however, so I can get things moving.

When H arrived, he noticed a few things. I took out a decorative tree that he planted many years ago because it wasn’t doing well. I planted something else, as well a several other items. He said a little wistfully “So, this is what replaced my tree”. He also noticed that a large, specific Christmas decoration was gone that was stored in the garage, and asked where it went. He loved to decorate the outside of the house, and was very proud of all his decorations. I told him I sold it. He seemed sad about it.

The phrase “they notice everything” came to mind. People on this board know these MCLrs well!

H and I sat at the table facing each other for 2 long conversations. We talked freely, sincerely, and what I believe was truthfully.

H still has a desire to flee. He talked about how he would like to have both of us retire, sell everything, move elsewhere, and go on trips about every other month. I told him that wouldn’t last, the excitement would wear off. That it won’t happen. I shared that I think about things like that, that I spent so long being a mom, I wanted to do all sorts of adventurous things now. But so very much has to happen for that to ever have a chance of being possible, and trips won’t fix anything. I told him our demons would follow if we don’t deal with them. That in a year or two, we would repeat the scenario we are in. I told him I refused to do that.

He said that he wants to reconcile. I told him that was the first time he said those words since he moved out. He said that he told me that when we met about a month ago. I reminded him that he asked to live in the spare bedroom, and that was nothing like saying he wanted to reconcile. He stated it again: “I want for us to be able to reconcile”.

I also said that he has said many things, but so far no actions supported his words. He said that he was still in counseling, and had another appointment this week. I told him I was glad, and hoped that it would be helpful to him.

I told him that picking up and starting fresh somewhere else was not the answer. That so many things had to happened first. We talked about that if we ever did reconcile, that we would have to have a brand new relationship. And that even with hard, hard work, it’s certainly no guarantee and we could still end up divorced. He agreed.

He said he likes to see me. I reminded him that he said that a month ago, and that he said wanted to see me more, but that no actions supported that. He said it was difficult to see me, because he felt such shame. He teared up a bit.

I discussed what he said about a month ago – that he wanted to extricate himself from his situation. He expressed how daunting it was, and had hopes someone would step up and help him. I asked who? He didn’t really know, but he said that his (our) old friends “abandoned” him. He said he asked for my help last month, but I didn’t. I again reminded him that moving in would not help, and was not the answer. That I am not the one to give him the answer. I told him that he didn’t reach out to our friend either, and that if they are friends, they would probably help him even today if he asked. I told him that it was o.k. to ask for help if he needed or wanted it, and that maybe it was time to humble himself to do just that. (He always wants people to do the heavy work to. Maybe he is starting to realize relationships are a two way street.)

He asked me if I still loved him. This surprised me. I balked at answering. He could see it. I ended up saying I do.

But, to be truthful, it’s muddled, and I don’t know if I do any more.

I do know that love is not enough for reconciliation. I was very clear H that he has a lot of healing to do. That there was healing that I still needed to do. That we would have a lot of work and healing together, and he with the kids, and that we would need to “court” and see if we could build something new. He is clear that regular therapy and moving on his own are absolutes. I made it clear I would never be an OW. He said that this (the process) will take time. I said that I understood, but I plan to just continue on as I am for now, living my life.

I told him I wanted to share with him why I haven’t filed for D yet. That I wasn’t going to get too preachy, but I wanted to share with him that I believe God has placed in my heart to wait, and not file for D. That it is a constant theme and prompting I can’t seem to shake. That I didn’t know what it meant, but for now, I will heed it, but that I didn’t know what the future will hold for him, me, or us, but that I was o.k. with that. I will continue to live my life.

My life could take a turn in the meantime that could change everything, or nothing. I realize that. But it’s a good life right now, so I’m o.k. with living it this way. At least for now.

He did pack up a lot of boxes to go through. I was actually surprised he did that.

When he left, we hugged, then kissed very briefly, and chastely, on the lips. I held his face, looked him in the eye, and said “humble yourself. It’s o.k. to ask for help”. I don’t know why I felt compelled to say this. It wasn’t planned, or contrived. It just came out. He received that words. Then left.

I felt o.k. when he left. Not out of sorts. Not drawn in. Almost detached.

I believe all that was said, at least by me, evolved on its own. I had no agenda, and H didn’t either as far as I could tell. He said he was very nervous starting a day or two ago, knowing he would see me in our home.

A couple of hours after he left, he messaged me saying “Difficult day for me. But I was happy to see you”

For now, I will enjoy having both my kiddos in the house. S22 arrived home for Spring Break. I get him for a whole week. D20 had a very successful day selling her artwork for the first time at a show and came home tired, but very happy and “alive”. It was great to see.

There are some difficult days ahead. S22 graduates soon, and my family will be there from out of State. Parents, brother, sister, and spouses. H doesn’t think he can face them. He may choose to watch his son graduate from afar, alone. D20 knows she will probably see him then, and is figuring out how/whether to see him at least once prior to this. I’m encouraging her to do so, if even with her therapist present. H has difficult choices to make. He knows it. He fears it. But I will leave him to his journey.

Life continues to be an adventure, with roads to travel, roadblocks to navigate, mountains to climb and surprises to discover each day.

But, I am embracing it all. I am choosing to find joy in the journey that God has set before me.

Life is good.

Grace

O
O
Grace, I hope you keep reading that back. The two big themes: he's waiting for someone else to fix his problems; you did not take up the invite to be his fixer. What a compassionate and strong response from you. I personally believe that his ability to recognize his shame is monumental. You can't fix what you don't acknowledge.

D
DnJ Offline
D
Grace

Excellent!

That was a very good conversation. Such compassion and strength. Fearless and forgiving.

You’re a beacon.

Your life is indeed good.

DnJ

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Y
Y
Grace, this whole exchange really touched me. That feeling of wanting someone else to fix it - that to me is something I can recognize from a very brief time in my life when I was mildly depressed. A deep lack of belief in oneself, and it takes over.

I'm glad you could verbalize to H that he is the one with the power, he just doesn't see it yet. I hope he works through until he realizes that he is in charge of his own life - and that with thoughtful choices he absolutely can achieve everything he wants. And I do believe that means you and your family. PLUS (hopefully) a newfound sense of Self and Purpose for H. I hope so.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard