Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
I
IHCLACS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Edit. This response was me. "IH: You can take him tonight, or leave him with me for the weekend. Please let me know so I can make /cancel plans."

I
IHCLACS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Alright need a little advice again in handling situation properly. 2x4 me if anyone thinks I'm mind reading. Ill try and keep it short.

My experience and observation on patterns of behavior with XW over a span of 9 months is when she wants to swap custody dates. This has been CONSTANT, this and frequently trying to get me involved in joint affairs with S2 and XW's family.  The swap requests typically are  on my days off to benefit her "social affairs." Unless I am provided with a valid reason for doing such from her. I have made it clear time and time and time again with the date swaps and shared family occasions I keep getting invited to, that if there is a swap it has to be 48hrs notice at minimum. I know its none of my business what XW is doing during her "social affairs." Or time off from S2. That's fine. I don't ask. But if she doesn't reveal reasons for swap, then I don't accept the request. (Please keep in mind this is not about control for me over her. This is about secrecy, and the potential of being manipulated.)

I'm willing to bend when she volunteers a valid reason to swap, but at every request to swap with no reason I ignore, or reply "Sorry but I can't" with no reason given in return. Even if there are equal exchanges at times for swaps, which there are... We both have been fair and willingly reciprocative with that. Like if I do her a favor and watch him for an occasion, she will give me a date of my choosing off.

But the real reason for me doing this especially even more frequently as of lately is because I feel I am being manipulated into watching S2 at helm and desire of her social schedule. I should be grateful to spend more time with S2 AND I WANT TO. I really miss him at times.  But I don't want to contribute to XW's plans to socialize, go on dates (not confirmed just speculation.) and other social occasions where she wants me to "be the built in babysitter for."

Here is where I am getting my mindset and reasoning from based from experiences. XW always texts and asks and presses my ETA for S2 pickups on some days/nights but not others. She has frequent weeknight appointments, therapy, support groups. That I already know about that she has barely revealed to me. Ok fine. I get that. That holds legitimacy for ETA pressing and possible custody swaps at times. Where I am having a problem is her asking me to do swaps or exchanges when it benefits her socially on my scheduled time off especially when the agenda is hidden in secrecy. I refuse to contribute to that.

Examples

10/28 6:24am
XW:I know I mentioned this last week, but I have a scheduling issue this Sunday, 11/3. Are you able to take S2 for the day? I would need from 9-3. Please let me know by this evening, so I can make arrangements if need be.

IH: Sorry, I can't. Brother and I will be moving half day Saturday and all of Sunday. This was my moving weekend and I'm pretty sure you were aware of that. Let me think about it, and I'll get back to you if something is workable.

XW: Originally it was my weekend off, and you asked to switch because of the move. My plans were made months ago. If you are able to take S2 during the day Sunday , id be willing to give you Friday night off. Ill look into other arrangements, but if anything chages, let me know.

IH: Right. You had a mention/discussion about a week or two ago about Nov. 3rd but no mention of time frame. 9am-3pm is the first I am hearing of it. I have fulfilled my two straight weekends of watching S2 on Oct 12th, 13th, 18th and 19th as part of the swap arrangement for Oct 26, 27th, Nov 2nd and 3rd.

My plans have changed as far as Brother's availability to help me move. So its a matter of necessity/convenience and not luxury. Even if I was to swap this Friday for Sunday, it still doesn't change my plans that Brother is available half day Saturday and full day Sunday to help move. I will get back to you tonight if there is something workable with Brother Otherwise I will be waiting possibly 2-3 weeks to move my stuff out of the garage.

XW: You dont nwed to change your plans. I just wanted to see if you were able to.watch S2 Sunday. Ill make arrangements for him on Sunday

12/13 e-mail 8:43am Overnight Request:

XW: I wanted to ask if you would be able to take S2 overnight on Sunday, January 19th. I realize it's technically a weeknight,  but the following day is MLK day so S2 will be off from daycare. If need be, I could arrange for my mom to watch him the next day if you dropped him off at her place in the morning on your way to work. It would require that you go in to work a little later, but you wouldn't have to miss the day.  I wanted to ask you first before anyone else. Let me know if you're able and willing. -XW.  

IH: Sorry I can't.

(Here she presumes I'm willing to miss hours at work which I desperately need. Then phrases the end of the paragraph
"I wanted to ask you before anyone else." In other words she's giving me right of first refusal and courtesy using S2 and my parental guardianship as a ploy.) Now although she doesn't mention it and possibly doesn't know that I know this. 01/19 the real reason she is asking me is because her GF is getting married on the 20th and XW is in the bridal party. Hotel for 20th and 21st So 01/18 - 01/19 is most likely the bachelorette party. I saw those well laid plans over 6 months ago from her own handwriting, and I wasn't shocked but wasn't impressed. So I know what that agenda entails.

I think I have only asked for two swaps the entire year revolving around my personal life. One was for Sat. OT back in July (Business related.) The other was for my birthday past. Otherwise all my social affairs revolve around my own time off and I plan them accordingly. She has CONSTANTLY BARRAGED ME with swap requests with no reasons given most of the time revolving around my time off.

These are just my beliefs based off of my consistent observations with her. Its like in a way she is saying  "Don't you want to spend more time with S2.?" as the emotional bait to get the social conveniences to her advantage. She has done this repeatedly ALL YEAR LONG! I believe to pull at my heart strings to spend more time with S2 on my time off and use it to her convenience. So what I believe is. If I also refuse without good cause it can be potentially used against me either in her own mind, or potentially in court, if it ever goes that far.

So this is the way Xmas went with me. Family bailed on me for Xmas Eve. Just me and S2.

MIL invited me to either 4pm or 12am church since she's playing the organ on Xmas Eve. I find out from MIL that XW is going at 4pm and BIL will go at 12pm (Due to FIL having dementia.)

I give XW ETA of S2 pick up of 2pm 12/24. I ask XW in text:

IH: Q.Q. would you like S2 to experience the nativity scene at church today with you and your mom with the rest of the kids?

No reply. I ask about this in person. XW says she's not attending 4pm church due to FIL having a bad day and is going over there to watch him. I reply to MIL:
IH: Sorry to hear FIL is having a rough time today. I do hope the both of you find comfort in the Lord you have an amazing performance at church today. Thank you for the gift I haven't opened it yet.

Literally minutes after I leave XW house with S2. MIL replies:
MIL: Thanks IH....FIL is better now....this stuff comes and goes..but things r moving towards the VA home meeting on jan 9. Feel free to come by later if u want..it will be BIL, XW, FIL and i for hordeurves after church..nothing fancy. Hope like your gift...I know can use it....🎄

IH: I just picked up S2. XW told me she was coming over to watch FIL while you go to play the organ for for service.

IH: I was actually hoping to attend service with S2 but since he hasn't napped yet we might miss the 4 p.m. service.

MIL: Well if u decided to come...u could be up in the balcony where I am..S2 could see everything...then leave when u need to...the animals are adorable.

IH: I actually have a friend stopping over at 5pm.

MIL: Whatever u decide...merry cmas...just know.....holidays u are ALWAYS included here...the decision is always yours. XW feels the same.

12/24 This comes in from XW at 3pm.
XW: If youre up for it, you should come by my parents later for apps around 5.
Its just my parents me and BIL.

IH: I would really like that but I have company at 5pm.

XW: Ok, no worries.

I had a friend stop over Christmas Eve on his way up to his sister's house. He is also my bandmate. Despite being letdown by immediate family. After I went through all the trouble of cleaning, decorating, buying all of food preparing all the meals, etc. My family bailed on me at the last minute for the sake of "maintaining tradition" at my mothers cat filth infested hoarder house, and since I don't feel safe there with S2 I wasn't about to bring him over there and I was very clear about that. The whole purpose of doing Christmas Eve traditions at my home was so that we could all be together including S2 without having all of the hazards or grief. There was also very poor communication on both my brothers part despite me having the agenda convo with one of them one week prior. So it was myself S2 and friend Xmas Eve. It was good. I was grateful, and it taught me an important lesson about expectations, disappointment, and who really wants to be in your life and who is worth your time.

12/25
XW: Would you be willing to pick up half and half when you bring S2?

IH: Sorry I don't have a lot of time today.
XW: Ok

Here I compromised and brought XW my some heavy cream for her shindig at her house with her family. She actually bought me a bottle of bourbon since she knew I wanted to make eggnog. Gave me a very thoughtful gift from herself, and a present from S2. I gave her a Lavendar bath set since I know she loves Lavendar from S2. I was on my way down to nieces Xmas party with Mom.

IH: Thank you again for the Bourbon.
XW: YW!

12/26 XW took BIL out for 30th birthday and planned on being home late. At request I watch S2 overnight and drop him off 5:45 am on 12/27. Had to get him up at 4am He was good eating breakfast, until I got in the shower with him. Threw a 40 minutes tantrum. Ususally he's good about showering together. But he has been extremely fussy and temperamental the last couple of months. Emotions are all over the place. Welcome to terrible twos. The first 1.5 years he was so chill.

XW: Did you want the night off? Im home tonight and can watch S2 as an exchange for last night. (Out with BIL. and company for 30th.)

I go to XW house anyway Fri to pick up S2. He's sleeping so I leave him there. My weekend off Sat and Sun.

12/27 email.
XW: I realize that next Tuesday ( new years eve) is my night with S2, so I planned to stay home for the night. Would you be interested in having any time with him during the day?

I don't respond.

12/29 text
XW: Did you see my email about New Years?

I don't respond.

12/29 Missed Call and VM. (I let it go to VM.)
XW: (Driving. Very matter of fact tone. Pauses not to reveal too much in between sentences not to reveal too much.)
"Hey its me.. Um..I texted you and also emailed you... But Um...I'm trying to work out the schedule for NYE. So Uh...if you can call me back when you get a chance? Um... I'm going to be out for a little bit this evening.. But...Um...You can call me either tonight or tomorrow... Alright bye."

Now my mind is wondering? If she's going to be out on Sat evening on her weekend with S2 Who's watching S2? BIL? Also from my previous observations when I was living in M home. XW was VERY UNLIKELY TO LEAVE HOUSE WITH S2 unless for day errands. Never went out at night on weekends with S2. Even during IHS. Sounds like shes amping up her social life to the max for 2020.

I don't respond.

XW calls again tonight. I don't answer. So 1 email 1 text message 1 VM and 2 phone calls in a 48 hr. Period All over. A half a day on NYE which is her day anyway to watch S2 and my night off. Whatever her social arrangements are. MUST BE REALLY IMPORTANT and last minute since she didn't mention the topic Fri when I went to pick up S2. Again if you re-read the email she sent regarding this. She plays it off as "Would you be interested in having any time with him during the day?"  For her to call me twice, leave me a VM, text message, and email over the matter. It must be to suit her social agenda, and she's eager to get back to somebody with confirmation. She wouldn't go through all that trouble if she didn't.

MIL even sent me a "Whoops that last message was meant for XW." Shortly after XW called me earlier and I didn't answer.

MIL: I tried so hard not to open the box of candy...till tonight!😳
Woops..candy message was .....for XW...looks like I'm getting everything mixed up lately. Hope u r doing ok.....

(Wonder if MIL sent it out intentionally as a test response because I didn't answer any of XW's correspondence?)

Ill probably respond back tomorrow. "Thanks but I have to work NYE during the day." Which is true.

Now I know I know. Her business is her business and mine is mine. That's fine. But that doesn't mean I have to placate to it or encourage it when I see more Red Flags than a Chinese Parade. My guess? Started talking to someone at BIL's event. Wants to make day plans. Don't know who with. I could be paranoid, I could be wrong? Who knows. But the thing is. Since April. She only tells me about family events and whereabouts voluntarily. Anything else related to her, her friends, her appointments, her rendezvous, etc. Complete secrecy whether significant or insignificant.

Ok time for everyone to club me over the head with 4x4's. Whether Im right or wrong in presuming things or mind reading without facts. Im not even going to go there. Again her business is her business. But that doesn't mean I can't observe her behavior just to make sure I am not being manipulated. Whether I'm wrong or right in my presumptions. Im not willing to do any more swaps or entertain any more date swaps without just cause. But on the same hand I don't want to be intrusive and ask the why every time as it is none of my business. But I do expect some sort of explanation or legitimacy for it. If I don't get one, I don't honor the request. I'm even to a point now where I'm not even going to respond to them unless XW gives just cause for it. Im certainly not going to entertain custody date swapping if she wants to go out on dates in the future whether in the open or in secret. I've lost enough over this. My M, my family, my home, and my sense of self worth which I am starting to gain traction with in my solitude. Realizing give as only as good as you get, and train people to treat you the way you want to be treated. Time is of the essence. Have healthy boundaries, self respect. Drive and purpose.  Now. Since I've repeatedly asked for certain boundaries, rules and conditions about "playing family" when we are no longer a family. Over and over and over. And I still repeatedly get invited to stuff. It a hard for me to tell if her and her family want me there "as the child's father" out of guilt? Out of sincerity? Maybe a little bit of both? Or if XW is reaching out. (I highly doubt it because I'm only invited when it involves S2 or joint stuff.) Or if she's using S2 as a dangling carrot. Again in they're minds? "Why can't we all just be friends and get along." In my mind: "I've never had a friend take my home, my family, my mortgage, pretty much my life and do it in secrecy, only to be transparent later when actions were required to proceed forward in getting their way." Who needs friends like that?

I have confronted XW about these things so many times that I just want to ghost her and not respond every time this comes up just to see if she gets the message. Its either that. Or I am going to have to have a hard talk again (which probably won't be respected and forgotten.) But will have to do so in a way where I am assertive that she makes her plans on her own time. Not mine, and not to just expect me to swap dates ever again without just cause or explanation. (Again I know its none of my business.) But I want to know if it is worth what I am sacrificing my time and plans for when I don't have S2 and she wants to swap to suit her social needs, whether it's appointments, GF'S, dating. Whatever. I don't like secrecy. Never have never will. Give me full transparency blunt force trauma. Even if it means she is dating. I'm a big boy I can take it. Im tired of this secrecy "I have plans.. Im busy...I have an appointment  Sorry I can't." cat and mouse game B.S.  I hate games. I don't like having them played on me and I don't like playing them. This is what she does. She makes all these plans with whomever people first. Sometimes months in advance. Then expects me to swap the week of with no explanation most of the time. Not doing it sorry. Now I know some of you here will probably say something to the effect of "Well what XW reveals to you has a lot to do with levels of trust right now. So don't expect XW to tell you anything." So as long as she responds this way then so will I. But I could use advise on how to confront her with balance and respect while still remaining assertive but not overbearing.  Sometimes I'm not sure of myself if Im being too hard.

Im just tired of playing these incognito mystery distance games. I feel like we are both manipulating each other to a degree. But what am I to do? I'm not even sure if I'm overbearing and defensive and pushing people away by thinking and acting this way. But I kind of have to be.  In a polite and excusable way, because in the past. I've been known to make too many points and be very confronting and making a big deal about my feelings, what bothers me, and how I want and need things, in making my point in the past just to never have it honored or respected, so why not try a different more distant subtle approach? I figured silence would speak volumes. And since nothing has changed torwards R in the last year. I'm actually enjoying going silent on everyone that has disappointed me. XW  Family included. I need to be valued more for my sacrifices, efforts, hard work and consideration. I feel very undervalued and underappreciated by these people. I know its a little manipulative of me. But I'm not doing it for a desired outcome. Im doing it because I actually need space from these people, and would rather give my time to other people that really want to spend time with me.

Somebody smash me over the head, because it's hard for me to discern and trust myself for thinking this way.

I
I
Hey IHC -

Full disclosure, I don't have kids. But I am really missing time I used to spend visiting my nephews. I used to see them every week. Now its once every two or 3 months and limited to bday parties/get togethers.

Keep in mind, I have voluntarily backed off bc W spends all her free time with nephews now. But that is her family and she needs them.

If i were you and there were any opportunities to spend extra time with my son, I would take them. Your son will not be young for long. Take any extra time with him because time goes so fast.

My 2 cents.

I
IHCLACS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Ill try and reframe my mind that way, and plan more activities with S2. But I still have to balance and bear in mind that that can be abused. But you are right IW I need to make this less about XW and I and more about S2 and I. Im on LRT going dark. With mediation potentially happening in Jan. No date set yet. Logic, reality and experience tells me I have no hope in R. My faith tells me otherwise. So yeah I am at a conflict with myself daily for months on end over it. I won't push this car or M over the cliff willingly. Ill bring it up to the edge with tactics that really don't benefit me but in a way they do with my healing and distance. She's going to have to give it that last push and see it all the way through with what she started. Once mediation is final, decree is stamped and approved and XW house is sold and I get my cut.. Then I will have my closure. It ain't over till its over. I sure as hell ain't going to fight for the M but I'm not going push it off the cliff either. Its just best I back off. Focus on me and stay away until that day comes. When it does come Ill do what best for everyone and what everybody needs. (Notice I said needs not wants.) When that day comes to fruition. Then I will see what is down the road apiece.

O
O
When you demand a valid reason for her to swap the kids on her days, I can't help but think she is thinking WTF. Her business isn't your business! You aren't her dad! You either can or can't, keep it simple. She has to prove legitimacy to you? You know how this sounds?

And a 48 hour notice? I don't get that either. There might be a time when you want her to babysit for your social affairs, why not make the best of it?

Her inviting you to her family stuff is bad? Sounds like she is trying to be amicable, her folks are still your kids grandparents. If you don't want to go just say that but imagine you may portray a certain attitude to her when she asks this.

Your responses to her are super wordy and confusing. You're upset that she gave you the "first right of refusal" as you put it...why? You're just snooping her personal life bc you want to know if she's dating. You're full of pain and it is surfacing in the form of your anger and insecurities. You have to make a change there.

I'd attend her family's events occasionally too just to show them how big your balls are. Take the challenge, pass the test.

H 34
W 29
BD 3/12/18
Divorce Busted Spring 19

It is not things that bother us, but the stories we tell ourselves about things.
D
DS9 Offline
D
Hey ih good to hear from you. How’s the new pad? All settled in?

I’m sorry family bailed on you for Xmas mate.

Can I echo overrnbw in saying don’t worry about reasons being given or not for scheduling change requests, and if you do fish for them she’ll see that as controlling. Just either say yes or no. If yes a simple ‘hi XW, no worries, please collect S by 10am’. If no, then no need for sorries just say something like ‘hi XW I can’t I have plans’. No need for explanation or anything that she can come back with and challenge you.

Always reply to parenting issues (R2C’s counsel), just wait a while, keep it extremely short and always be cordial and polite. If she writes war and peace to you, you reply with spot the dog.

Cheers ds

Me: early 40's
XW: nearly 50
T: 15
M: 5
BD: Jan 19
S:10 SS: 22 SD: 24
G
G
Here comes your club over the head.

I’m one breath you say her social life is none of your business. In the next, you say you do t want to fuel her social life and she should give you a reason for her swap so you can decide if you are fueling her social life.

It doesn’t work that way.

Either you say “sorry, I can’t make that switch” or you say “sure, no problem”

Your decision in making the switch should have absolutely nothing to do with her potential plans, only yours. If it doesn’t work for YOU, then say no. If it does work for you, say YES. Your decision to swap should have nothing to do what she is doing with that tome.

One day, you’ll maybe want to go on a date and you might need a swap. Is she entitled to the why? No, she won’t be either. She will either say yes or no, depending on if it works for her

I
IHCLACS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by ovrrnbw
When you demand a valid reason for her to swap the kids on her days, I can't help but think she is thinking WTF. Her business isn't your business! You aren't her dad! You either can or can't,  keep it simple. She has to prove legitimacy to you? You know how this sounds?

And a 48 hour notice? I don't get that either. There might be a time when you want her to babysit for your social affairs, why not make the best of it?

Her inviting you to her family stuff is bad? Sounds like she is trying to be amicable, her folks are still your kids grandparents. If you don't want to go just say that but imagine you may portray a certain attitude to her when she asks this.

Your responses to her are super wordy and confusing. You're upset that she gave you the "first right of refusal" as you put it...why? You're just snooping her personal life bc you want to know if she's dating. You're full of pain and it is surfacing in the form of your anger and insecurities. You have to  make a change there.

I'd attend her family's events occasionally too just to show them how big your balls are. Take the challenge, pass the test.

Ovrrnbw: Who said anything about a demand? I haven't demanded or asked anything from anyone or about anyone or their plans, and have kept all correspondence "Yes I can. Sorry I can't." Been responding that way since April. I like to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid.) in all correspondence now with XW and avoid long wordy responses and explanations. Especially as of lately. It is my resolve.  Been more consistent with that lately. Your right Ovrrnvw. I'm not her Dad. I'm not her Husband either... Lol.. Her business isn't my business. I believe I clearly stated that in my previous post.

The 48 hr. notice boundary thing I put into place months ago as a result of XW always asking me for favors or time/child swaps for same day/last minute notice. AGAIN TO HER CONVENIENCE when I had already made plans ON MY TIME off. Which she obviously isn't/wasn't aware of because we stopped communicating during IHS and went to written form. The purpose of this boundary is for both individuals to have respect of their time, schedule, and proper planning. Also to prevent any confusion of conversations that may or may not have taken place in someone's mind, due to both parties barely talking.  (Again it was being slightly abused and expected of me to drop all plans at a moments notice.)

Ovrrnbw. I also never said that being invited to family occasions was bad thing. You did.. Its actually a good thing. Its just a good thing Im not ready for in its entirety yet. In small doses and limited frequency. I had well known intentions of going to church with all of them Xmas Eve, but the circumstances changed quickly with FIL and his dementia bouts and moods. As a result, I made my own plans with a friend and S2, So when I was asked again, I actually was busy and had plans. (Please re-read my post.) But again its a minor annoyance to me at times, and the frequency of the invites. (I don't show it externally. I'm always friendly, happy, and cheerful during our short interactions when picking up S2. What I disclose here is not what I portrait in reality. But internally it annoys me sometimes.) Why? Because I've held onto the whole "We are not together as a family." Mantra which is so advocated here on DB forum since I arrived here. Some advocate it, some don't. Who's right? What works? It all depends on the individual and what they are comfortable with at that time. I do accept invites to some occasions. (Santa photos. Birthday's, Pumpkin Picking, Halloween, etc.) I'm honestly not snooping. IDGAF! About XW social affairs, what she is doing, who she is seeing, and where she is. I DONT WANT TO KNOW! I just don't want my time, or my good will to swap at a moments notice being abused and S2 being used as the catalyst for it. But as I said to IW I need to make it more about myself and S2 than myself and XW mentally.. And as either you or Ginger mentioned. That works both ways and may actually benefit me in the future. I need to be more mindful of that. I like planned routine, structure, and prefer for it to be adhered to. Its what's right for me. Life happens, plans change, not everything is static, there has to be some give and take and I get that. But for now. Let XW make plans on her own time off like I do. I just dont want to be taken advantaged of as the built in babysitter. Ill give and take here and there on occaision. (Again re-read my post. Or not.) Am I wrong for thinking this way? Who knows? As far as anger and insecurities. Ill agree with you mildly there. I wouldn't be writing all this stuff, looking or posting on here if I truly didn't GAF and was fully detached! But again. I don't display it externally. During all interactions I'm nice as pie, friendly, upbeat and cordial. But internally it crops up every now and again.

As far as how "big my balls are." about family occasions. Read again what I stated above. I attend some functions and not others based on my availability, and just whether I emotionally feel like it. Again. My feelings and my narrative isn't someone else's, and it is what is, and that's that. As far as "passing tests" I don't jump through flaming hoops for anyone unless it benefits myself and S2 first, and then those around me. Please don't misconstrue what I am saying here as selfish, inconsiderate or defensive either. Since everyone here advocates NMMG, and all the Alpha B.S. Going dark. LRT, being short worded, scarce, GAL, staying busy and productive, focusing on individual purpose, etc. Certain behaviors, etc. I put myself first unless I want to help, or co mingle in a non co dependant way. Is it manipulation tactics in a way? Well? That's complicated. There is a difference between actually fully moving on with your life, actually being occupied, and just acting like it. And something in between. I'm at something in between right now. When an invitation comes up it just depends on how I feel, and whether Im actually busy or not. Also comes down to mindset. XW and in-laws think we are still a family. I think we are not. I don't see it that way right now. Could I be more receiving and open to it? Change my mindset on it. Sure. But Im not fully ready. When Im ready. I'm ready. Sometimes I will accept for the sake of S2 or just whether I feel like it. 

Im not the kind of person that goes along to get along emotionally, or make conversation to fill voids of silence. I am a profound conversationalist. But I also wear my heart, my emotions, and intentions on my sleeve, and it shows. If im not in a good overall place. It shows. If I am in a good place. It really shows. That can change by the hour, day, or week. I can regulate my emotions fairly ok, but need to really improve on it and my thoughts. Ill never change that about myself and don't want to. I always believe vulnerability is an asset not a liability. Who you choose to show it to, when why, where and how, is another story. I'm not the kind of person that has a filter and is vocal. Tactfulness possibly given the situation, but I don't filter and Im working on that. Im a loud mouth shoot from the hip no b.s. kind of guy. I can be very empathetic and compassionate AS LONG AS I DONT LET MY OWN EMOTIONS GET THE BEST OF ME in a situation.

But. There is no point to me attending all joint family functions until I heal completely. No point of making shallow awkward conversation. Talking about the weather, the mall, or other ice breaker topics with people I was once intimate with in conversations.  Awkward silences on my part or theirs. No thanks. Again I've done post BD gatherings with them. Sometimes its great. Others its awkward for me. Just depends on my mood. No point of me attending if I am going to remain talkative with MIL and quiet with BIL. and XW. They can't rush it. I can't rush it. I've made my point clear to them with that. Im not going to sit around my XW and her family and pretend like nothing is wrong, acting all friendly like nothing happened. I lost my house, my W, my family, my authority and respect as a H, my BIL moved in, W took over the house and mortgage, and exited the M. I have compassion for all of their circumstances. I really do. FIL Dementia, BIL recently D. MIL 2nd bout with Cancer. XW. MLC and transition.  But I'm only willing to put the olive branch out so far at times until I fully heal. Im not willing to be vulnerable to anyone if they aren't willing to be vulnerable with me. Could these invitations possibly spark that? I guess Ill never know. XW hasn't changed course or interactions, so why should I? There's a limit with how much Im willing to be vulnerabke. There is no right or wrong about the way I feel. It just is. You see their removed behaviors and actions have caused me to remove myself even further to the point of going completely dark with them. Except MIL. They don't get to take all these actions even though I know their intentions were for different reasons, some having absolutely nothing to do with me, is nothing personal, and are not trying to intentionally hurt me. But they don't get to do all these things, and then for right now, expect me to be all happy happy joy joy and play family when it suits them.

If I wanted to K.I.S.S. and be less wordy in my last post I could have simply asked the board here.
"How do I confront XW without being confrontive, or being belligerent about always asking me to swap on my time off" Address my concerns of being taken advantage of. Fear of manipulation without making a big deal or fuss over it. Have them understand it, respect it, and more importantly FOLLOW IT!

Some of you might argue I need a attitude adjustment. Well that waxes and wanes with fluctuating thoughts and circumstances. I'd rather be married than be right. But... If Im not going to be married I might as well be right. On my own terms. My two time platonic friend date said something interesting to me last month that really stuck with me in conversation. Something along the lines of "Its important to observe the thoughts that we have, but its more important of the meaning to ourselves that we give it."

There were two other significant things I was going to put in here yesterday while I was writing this but I forgot. My thoughts for today are with 2020 approaching tomorrow is. This place is my emotional addiction amongst other things. I'm starting to wonder that the people like myself and others who frequent here are people who are emotionally stuck. I can't figure out at this time for the life of me why some days or weeks I'm perfectly okay with divorcing and moving on with my life. How sometimes I look at things that weren't good for me in that relationship and I'm okay. I'm detached for a time. When I have my short interactions with XW while picking up S2 I'm okay with the way things are and the way they're going. It's kind of like I don't miss the negative attributes that don't suit me in her and the R, but sometimes I think about the positive attributes that brought laughter joy and smiles understanding sometime in the past.

Maybe I need to really put this place, all relationships, my phone, my sich, You Tube, self introspection, my XW, my family, and other distractions in my life down for a while. Sit down, write out a list of what I want my life to look like in all areas of it for the next year or two, and progressively work torwards it. GAL, Finance, Career, Social, Personal Development. Spiritual, Habits, etc. I've been grateful for all good small moments this last year. But for the most part have been quite isolated. Its serving me to think and to self introspection and heal. But it isn't taking my life in the right direction. I want to be alone for right now, but not for long, and not forever. I want to see a new person come out of this. One that I don't even recognize, but still keeps his principles. I know what I want. I just need to write it out and stick to it. My habits and thoughts and the meaning I assign to it really need to change.

G
G
You are only being taken advantage of if you let yourself. I imagine that enough “no, I can’t” when she asks for a switch, will lead to her not asking anymore. You can’t make her stop asking. But you can say no. And if you say no, you aren’t being taken advantage of, right? Because it’s your decision. And if you want an explanation as to what she Is doing since you are making your decision based upon that whether or not, she also has the choice to not tell you with the consequence of you saying no to her request.

Boundaries took me a while to learn. You can’t make someone act a certain way. But you can decide what you are going to engage in. And if you chose to say no, that enforcing your boundaries If this is indeed a boundary.

And when you are divorced, first right of refusal is written into your agreement. The parent always gets the first choice, and if the answer is a no, then the custodial
Parent seeks an alternative .

In summary. You don’t get to decide what others do or say or offer to tell you. But you do get the right to say no.

I
IHCLACS Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Happy New Year Everyone. I intentionally stayed home this year for some needed solitude. Brother and mother invited me over. Declined. Landlord invited me to party upstairs. (Sounded like a stampede up there...lol) Talked with buddy/band mate on phone tonight. He chilling by himself. Had a rough day emotionally. Went numb again. Not because of NYE or being alone. Just past thoughts spanning back 13 years, successes and failures, where life is going in what direction, what progresses and changes have been made. etc.. Feelings and thoughts are funny man. Really letting go and partially letting go really does take time. But I'm determined to choose it everyday. Still figuring myself out with that in solitude which is a good thing. Sometimes we miss someone or who they were terribly and other times were just good doing our own thing focusing on ourselves.

Buddy actually emailed me Corey Wayne's How to be 3% Man . Finding it to be a great read and loving it in its sensible way and delivery. Actually read most of my posts from a year ago. I know it was probably heavy-laden with all of writing I did hear on DB. I'm glad I did it though since it acts as a reflection and a journal entry from where people were, are, and where they are going. Man a lot has changed in my thinking, circumstances and such as far as living life. Like to put more of that into action and practice in this year. I really really really want to express nothing but absolute gratitude to everyone here for being so attentive, listening and supportive and patient, especially in the beginning. I understand a lot of the things now that you guys said then, much more profoundly. Its funny how most of us here reflect on our entire 1yr. 2yr. Or however many years and realize we are no longer the same person we were, but kind of are in a sense. Some people change radically in a short amount of time and some people change slowly over time.

Just wanted to say God bless everyone of you and I hope you guys work torward being the best version of yourself in 2020. Love you all.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard