Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
AndrewP #2877282 12/23/19 06:27 PM
D
D

For those days when you just don't feel like eating poutine...

TUNA AND JELLO PIE (WITH CHEESE PIE CRUST)

Ingredients:
1 (3 oz.) pkg. lemon Jello
1 1/4 c. boiling water
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. Lawry's salt
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped pimento
1/2 c. chopped stuffed olives
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
9-inch cheese pie shell

Jello and tuna filling:
Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar and seasonings. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in chopped vegetables. Pour into cooled cheese pie shell. Chill thoroughly. Spoon tuna salad on top. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and fresh mint leaves.

Cheese pie shell:
1 c. unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. plus 1 tbsp. Crisco
1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. iced water
Mix flour and salt, cut in shortening. Stir in cheese, sprinkle water and form ball. Roll out dough, place in pan. Flute edges and prick pastry. Bake 8-10 minutes in 475 degree oven.

Tuna salad:
1 (6 1/2 oz.) can water-packed tuna
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. chopped celery
1 tbsp. minced onion
2 tbsp. tarragon vinegar
mayonnaise to moisten.
Mix together.

Special Note: Keep a barf bag handy while eating the pie.

AndrewP #2877410 12/24/19 03:05 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
TUNA AND JELLO PIE (WITH CHEESE PIE CRUST)
Step Away from "Betty Crocker’s Dinner in a Dish" cookbook.

S25 and I were talking about Christmas morning breakfast and he's up for something I want to try and had some good suggestions.

Tonight
- sautee sliced potatoes and onions and set aside
- pre-cook some garlic farmer's sausage

Tomorrow morning
- mix eggs with a bit of milk and assorted spices
- put potatoes, onions and sausage in greased muffin pan
- add some diced spinach to 1/2 of them as S25 doesn't like cooked spinach
- pour eggs over top
- bake @350F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool for about 10 minutes

It should be good. My ex-wife a couple of times made a sort of breakfast casserole which is where I'm heading with this. She was a pretty decent cook when she put in the effort. This is more or less just something I've made up for this year based on what I like and what I have on hand.

Had a nightmare about her on Sunday night. Blargh. There was something kid related that I needed to talk to her about so tracked her down. OM was there and belligerent and got violent on me. I sat on him, tied him up and moved on. My ex in this dream was made up like a $50 hooker at the mine on payday (I used to work in hard rock mining - I know what they look like). Fake nails, heavy makeup. Very not her. She was a conservative matron in her appearance. Took good care of her appearance generally but played the part of respectable middle aged housewife and mom well. The discussion went nowhere and she tried to hit on me. The alarm went off.

That's the first time in a long while that she's invaded my dreams. I'm glad in some ways that it was in such an unpleasant fashion that reinforces that she is very much behind me.

I have no clue what her plans are for S25 etc at Christmas. She does have a history of announcing things at the last minute and expecting everyone to jump. S25 as of last night at least is expecting to be spending Christmas day here.

My assumption - based on a complete lack of knowledge - is that she and OM have moved in to a house of their own. It would make sense that they maybe built one considering he retired, sold his house and moved in to her apartment for quite some time. She has somewhat over $100K from me with a guaranteed cash flow for a while so has a contribution she could make too. And she always wanted a dream house. He has either 2 or 3 adult kids plus assorted grand-kids so I could imagine that they are playing happy family and hosting Christmas. Again - no actual information and my guess-work is generally wrong. And it doesn't matter as it doesn't affect me other than as it may cause conflicting scheduling with my own kids. If S25 is part of this then he'll certainly be a background figure.

S is expected by later in the afternoon Christmas Day and will stay for dinner. She is with her Dad and the kids at his place 2 1/2 hours away since Monday. They will be having their dinner etc tonight and then everyone scatters leaving just her Dad and her there tomorrow. I assured her that if she wanted to spend the day with him that's fine but I think she finds him one on one a bit stressful. There's some FOO issues going on there but then again, who doesn't have those. I think she'll be staying here until Friday along with her small dog. S25 had a discussion last night about that and the plans for keeping some sort of peace with "the girls". S has someone looking after her cats and the rabbits are with S17 who probably really needs his emotional support critters.

Originally I'd intended to just have it as a day for S25 and I but I could hardly say no. S "really" wants to come. And having had a chance to "take a run at it" I'm now looking forward to it. We've realized that for some things that I need a few days to think things through that she has suggested that I may be uncomfortable with. Usually I get it all sorted out in my head and then am fully on board. S is pretty accommodating about this. It means a couple of minor tweaks to my own plans. We'll be having sparking juice with dinner and not wine. S25 has also cut way back on his alcohol lately and seems to like the change.

The duck has been out thawing for a couple of days. Roast duck, dressing (S can't have any frown ), turnip and / or butternut squash, mashed potatoes, vegetables (maybe a cheese sauce), gravy and a rhubarb / black currant pie with a crumble top. S can't eat the crust - I haven't learned how to make a gluten free one yet. The crumble top is oatmeal based so she's fine with that. S25 prefers a crumble top as well. Personally I like a covered pie but I had things planned out to only have one pie shell on hand.

S will undoubtedly want to help cook so I may actually be able to manage this ambitious menu. We work together surprisingly well in the kitchen at least thus far.

On Sunday S gave S25 and I presents that are under the tree. I still have my wrapping to do. I'm supposed to be working right now, but things are obviously quiet and I'm in my PJs at home monitoring things. She has her present with her I presume.

The last present that I ordered online might actually be in today's post. It's something for me from Santa so if it doesn't make it, that's fine.

I did see on the official US Navy social media feed that there has been a recent mail delivery - fingers crossed that my son-in-law will get his parcel. I included a kazoo so that he can serenade his shipmates. I expect this to be an - ahem - popular gift laugh I hope that the fishes of the deeps are musical as I don't expect it to stay on board for long.

No sign of a parcel from D27. I'm thinking that there isn't one this year. I mused to S that she may have sent it home with her mother which got me an eye-roll. Sad. D27 is still largely maintaining radio silence. I'm leaving her be aside from the usual pictures of the cats and snow and such that I would normally be sending her. She responds occasionally and briefly. At this point I'm planning on going to San Diego for my birthday in March. Her husband should be home by then. S won't be joining me as her D18 will be turning to D19 the day after my own birthday. I did message in the family group chat that there is news that is backing up and included a picture of S and I together so D27 should be up to speed on that at least more or less.

S25 had a job interview yesterday. It went very very well he believes. It's basic warehouse work. He's supposed to hear back in a few days. He has another interview in a week or so for a production line job which pays slightly more but is a tougher and more tedious job. I feel very positive about all of this as does he. He's making a really big effort to turn things around for himself. Doing a lot better self care too. I'm proud of him and am sure he knows it.

What a heck of a year it's been. Fallen in love not once, but twice. Had conflict with my family which seems to have simmered down without me being the one who tries to pave everything over. Just standing firm on my boundaries and beliefs.

2020 will be a year for looking ahead and not back. I can see the shape of a future but not the path to it nor exactly what it looks like. Pieces are falling into place though all on their own (more or less). If I've learned one thing in the last 4 years, it's to let go of the outcome and to embrace each day as the gift that it is.

Merry Christmas one and all! Much love from my small family to you and yours.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
AndrewP #2877434 12/24/19 05:58 PM
job Offline
Andrew,

Merry Christmas to you, your family and friends. Enjoy the holiday and due try to get some rest along the way.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job #2877435 12/24/19 06:05 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well paint me purple and call me Susan!

My ex-wife played elf and brought back the gifts for us from D27 via S25. S25/D27 had responded to my message about last day of mail in the family chat that parcels had arrived thanks to a "helper". I expressed my appreciation to them and asked D27 specifically to thank her "helper" and let her know that I was very grateful.

Christmas miracles indeed.

Originally Posted by job
Andrew,

Merry Christmas to you, your family and friends. Enjoy the holiday and due try to get some rest along the way.
Thanks job. Just had a nice long soak in my tub - only a 1/2 day of work today. Time now to do some cleaning and then have a bit of a sit with a good book.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. Thank you for being our guardian angel.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
AndrewP #2877436 12/24/19 06:14 PM
job Offline
It is a magical time of the year and anything can happen. Just look what in your household! What a surprise and I am glad you expressed your appreciation right away.

I just love those Christmas miracles!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
AndrewP #2877549 12/25/19 08:41 AM
D
DnJ Offline
D
Merry Christmas Andrew

Wow. A surprise helping elf. I’m with job, I love Christmas miracles.

Best wishes to you and your’s my friend.

DnJ

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
AndrewP #2877598 12/25/19 06:20 PM
W
W
Hope you’re having a great day,

I must admit, I had to read “I’m having a bit of a sit with a good book”, twice...........lol!

AndrewP #2877632 12/26/19 02:02 AM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Exhausted after a very full day.

S didn't come after all so it was just S25 and I for dinner. He made a loaf of fresh bread to go with our roast duck.

I am trying to figure out why my last 2 pies are runny on the bottom. S25 suspects that it's because the rhubarb and currants were put in frozen. Opinions would be welcome. I wonder if I maybe used 2 eggs instead of one if that would gell it up more, or would it make it too "eggy".

S wasn't able to come because she stayed at her Dad's house to look after her grandson as her daughter was under the weather. She thought she might make it later after dinner but chose to stay rather than drive so late. A wise choice in my mind even though it would have been nice to see her. She's driving up tomorrow morning. They were all worried about her D25 and nearly took her to the hospital but whatever gastric issue she was having passed. Given the various allergies that family has it could be anything.

Christmas was good. I ended up waking S25 up to feed him breakfast and open presents. I got a new EReader from "Santa". S gave me a captioned picture of us that I know she put a lot of effort into. S25 gave me a new robe and a slicer thing-a-mabob with the comment that it would help me making scalloped potatoes - one of his favourite foods. He also gave me 3 bottles of wine, almost exhausting his "cellar" that he accidentally had because he couldn't figure out how to cancel the Wine of the Month he got me last year intending if to only be 3 months.

It turns out that what had been transported up for D27 was just a card. The gift was a gift certificate for the cafe I go to. Probably picked up by S25. Ah well, sending Thanks to my ex is a good karma thing and she did help. There was nothing for S25 from his sister here. It may be at his Mother's place. Or not. None of my business. I do suspect that he's going there tomorrow as he mentioned that he is "going in to town".

One bit to note is with S not being here, I did have the option of having wine with dinner. We had sparkling juice from IKEA instead. I didn't really want wine and S25 was fine with that choice. Certainly made the tidying up go smoother not being XMas tipsy.

Well - off to bed.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
AndrewP #2877775 12/27/19 03:08 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Back to work today - blargh. The office is pretty much deserted. We're moving out of here in a few weeks and I still have to figure out my schedule between the two plants and the one remaining corporate office.

S showed up a bit earlier than expected yesterday afternoon. Since I was unsupervised, I was doing what I would normally do with some free time on my hands and was doing laundry.

She brought her dog - some sort of small wire-haired thing who dotes on me. She and the cats had a non-confrontational "I'm ignoring you" time of it so that's all good and one other hurdle overcome. My S25 went off to his mother's place for Christmas so we had the house to ourselves - including critters. He came back a bit earlier than expected but seemed to have had a good time. I think he's realizing that him seeing his mother doesn't really bother me much at all anymore. It will take some time for it to be "normalized".

The dog spent the night downstairs in the kitchen / bathroom separated from the cats. A certain amount of grumbling from the dog happened but she settled down. This morning I let the critters mingle while I had my breakfast. The dog scooted upstairs and was curled up with S in bed in a matter of moments. Oddly - when I headed out to work, she trotted back downstairs and I was able to confine her back to the kitchen again.

S is planning on staying for a couple of days as her two youngest are with their dad - possibly through the weekend. It was nice to have someone see me off to work even if that consisted of mumbles from under a pile of blankets. She is so very exhausted after a very busy week which included essentially hosting Christmas at her Dad's place.

And before everyone gasps, I'm fine with her being in the house by herself at this point.

One thing that struck me that I need to give a lot of thought to is during a quiet moment she said "promise not to abandon me like everyone else did". Makes me very sad for her. More and more I've gotten the feeling that she's been the one who kept trying to hold everything together. From the stories she's told - and yes - this is just her side although the evidence backs it up - the men she had in her life really just treated her like an appliance and for most of it she was indeed struggling alone in some fashion or other. Her stories and the things that her kids say are all part of a consistent narrative. It does make me wonder though. Certainly her narrative is that her ex partners were consistently self-centred jerks and from the little I know of them, having met XH#2 a few times, it certainly seems to be an accurate representation.

We had an interesting talk about "stuff". In her last marriage, one of her issues was the fact that the guy she married had very definite views on how "his" house should be managed and she never felt at home there. There was also pathological lies and financial abuse going on as well. She was very worried that that story would replay with me as superficially, I'm very particular about some things with a well organized sock drawer, formal(ish) Sunday dinner etc. But I'm not attached to "stuff". In fact I have very little of it. I told her that if for example the house caught on fire, the things to save were - in order - the people, the cats, a backup drive that contains all the family pictures and my finances, and the quilt off my bed. Nothing else mattered. The reason as I came to the realization - is that what I am actually attached to is the stories. What a favourite author calls Narrativium. The underlying substance that binds the universe together and gives it meaning and structure.

I do need to figure out what to do with my left-over duck. I ended up with a fair amount of stock as well which reduced down nicely. I'm thinking that instead of the regular duck stew that I may try some sort of duck pie. I used to make something that I called "farmer's stew" - which had no bottom crust and a top crust of tea biscuit dough. Hmmmm. Needs to be gluten free though.

Ah well - time to be responsible. I need to go over some year-end procedures and make sure that all is in place. I may indulge in a long lunch over Indian food. It will be nice to come home to S - and not she's not moved in as of yet although we continue to get more and more domestic ... We are planning on spending New Years Eve together but we're not sure where. S12 doesn't have plans so S is going to consult with him to see if he wants to be home or spend it at my place with a big comfy bed in the spare room and faster WiFi. I also need to book some vacation in February as we are all going together to a local resort when S12 turns in to S13.

Until later.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
AndrewP #2877781 12/27/19 03:43 PM
G
G
“Please don’t abandon me?”

What exactly does that mean? You are dating and if you find the relationship isn’t working, is that abandonment ?

M did not abandon me. He broke up with me and decided to exit the relationship. Which was was his choice to do so. The R wasn’t working for him, so he broke up with me. If I would have broken up with him, would I have a abandoned him?

I think more of abandonment is leaving a marriage, the kids, and leaving someone on the street with nothing.

She clearly has a level of codependency. Which I know you being a super super nice guy people pleaser will not leave this R if it is t working for you. You are clearly very deeply committed.

Just don’t forget your needs, ok?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard