Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
AndrewP #2866026 09/21/19 03:48 PM
K
kml Offline
K
I suggest Rome, with a side trip to Florence. With your love of history the Roman ruins will blow your mind, and the Renaissance art in Florence is incredible.

AndrewP #2866033 09/21/19 05:38 PM
W
W
“Bring her back a palace” ???

Confused!

Westo #2866041 09/21/19 06:42 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
I suggest Rome, with a side trip to Florence. With your love of history the Roman ruins will blow your mind, and the Renaissance art in Florence is incredible.
From everything I understand Rome is a bit of a dump and hard to find your way around. Perhaps Ravenna where Theodric the Great made his capital? And where I had a long thread about sitting in a cafe with Job, Westo, Altair, and Coly

Originally Posted by Westo
“Bring her back a palace” ???

Confused!
LOL. I suggested to her that if any of the castles were unoccupied that I'd see if they would be in her price range. She suggested that a crown or sword would be helpful too. I got her a fridge magnet of the Royal Palace.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
AndrewP #2866050 09/21/19 08:03 PM
W
W
Ahhhh, I understand now!

I went to Rome and I wasn’t impressed to be honest. There were too many ruins....total overload if you know what I mean!

Tatty and spoiled (like many European cities) with graffiti.

Westo #2866057 09/21/19 10:03 PM
job Offline
I love all of Italy as well as Sicily. Italy does have a lot of ruins, but you can get around and actually see the ones that you studied in school okay. Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany France, Monte Carlo, Switzerland and Austria are nice too. France was okay, but all of the other countries...I loved visiting. Of course, I also loved Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales as well...but I certainly would make return visits to Ireland and Italy...but that's me.

Take some time and decide what you want to see and do on the next trip. Who knows...maybe some of the posters may meet up w/you at the next destination.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
AndrewP #2866076 09/22/19 12:57 PM
D
D
Andrew I think you might really enjoy Istanbul. Amazing history. Beautiful buildings. Great food. Being able to see Europe and Asia at exactly the same time. It's truly a wonderful city....

Me:57 H:57
S:25 S:22
M:24 T:26
BD:Aug 15
D:Sep 17
AndrewP #2866087 09/22/19 05:03 PM
B
B
Uncle Billy used to say that the only traveling he had to do was to go to England, because the British Empire sent everything to the museums back home, lol!

You could always put up a map of the world and practice throwing darts at various places.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
job #2866159 09/23/19 03:33 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by job
I love all of Italy as well as Sicily. Italy does have a lot of ruins, but you can get around and actually see the ones that you studied in school okay. Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany France, Monte Carlo, Switzerland and Austria are nice too. France was okay, but all of the other countries...I loved visiting. Of course, I also loved Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales as well...but I certainly would make return visits to Ireland and Italy...but that's me.

Take some time and decide what you want to see and do on the next trip. Who knows...maybe some of the posters may meet up w/you at the next destination.
There had been an outside chance that a friend might have met up with me in Madrid but it didn't work out. I need to take a look at my budget as well. I set money aside each payday in to a vacation fund. I plan on at least 2 trips to see my daughter each year although that may be cheaper with her in San Diego as they now have a 2 bedroom place. Even though I love history, I never really studied it in school - just the obligatory courses. My kids always thought I should have taught the subject though because it does engage me being as that history is all about the stories for me. I've been a fan of a podcast called Tides of History which is very engaging and actually gave me a lot of the basis of Spanish history that did me well in this trip.

I'll save up the money and then see where the winds may blow me. There is so much to see and do right here as well. I've never been to our nation's capital which I understand is beautiful in both summer and winter. I used to work up by James Bay from time to time so have been to the "near north" but never the "far north". Ive never been west of Edmonton and even then since it was a working trip only ever really saw the inside of the hotel and warehouse. One of the things I had been kicking around would be to fly to San Diego then take a re-positioning cruise from there to Vancouver and then take the train back to Ontario. Or visa versa.

I was chatting with D27 and she's uncertain if she will come up at Thanksgiving as she doesn't have anyone to look after her cats as yet. It's only a few weeks away so I'm thinking that won't happen. She did mention that she might come up at Christmas too / instead. That would be nice although I dread having to deal with her mother on scheduling. Then again, my ex has at least historically not made an issue about holidays except for last Christmas when she had S25 over and I did Christmas dinner the next day.

I did have a look from time to time to see if B unblocked me to see my vacation pics. If you unblock someone you can't re-block them for 3 days. Nope. If she wanted to, she could have seen them through someone else's account. I know her daughter creeped my Facebook profile when we were first dating. As more time passes, the more I realize that it was good that that relationship ended. It probably never should have gone as far as it did - but like Ginger mentioned on her thread - I believed the words even when the actions didn't match up. And I do know that the house was a real problem for her even if GS3/4 loved coming there to visit. She did feel it was too big, the street noise - which is worse in the summer. The words of "we'll still be friends" were perhaps also false. I'm choosing to believe that she believed all those words when she said them. No harm is done to me by that and it helps me keep that all as positive memories.

My first date with S is organized - she contacted me with a "good morning" mid-morning. Even though I messaged her daily while I was in Spain - that was because she expressed interest in "traveling along with me". It will be interesting to see if a "good morning" becomes a regular thing. We're going out for brunch this Sunday. We already know each other a bit so the usual first coffee date isn't really necessary. She has gluten sensitivity so picking a spot was tricky. She seemed surprised and pleased that it was a factor for me. Now for the nerves and the over-thinking.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
AndrewP #2866191 09/23/19 06:45 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I'll save up the money and then see where the winds may blow me.

I still think you should sign-up on crewseekers dot net and sail your way around the world. You'd be the perfect ocean-going cook. (If you're going to cook, choose a catamaran not a mono hull.)

I was chatting with D27 and she's uncertain if she will come up at Thanksgiving as she doesn't have anyone to look after her cats as yet. It's only a few weeks away so I'm thinking that won't happen.

Why do Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the wrong day?

Now for the nerves and the over-thinking.

Just like when you were 16. That never changes does it?

doodler #2866205 09/23/19 08:03 PM
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
Why do Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the wrong day?
It's not the wrong day. We use a metric calendar here and are just about to start the month of Octovember.

Originally Posted by doodler
I still think you should sign-up on crewseekers dot net and sail your way around the world. You'd be the perfect ocean-going cook. (If you're going to cook, choose a catamaran not a mono hull.)
What "is" the right ratio of weevils to biscuit again? I recall a bunch of years ago at the Toronto Boat Show my then wife and I chatting to a charter operator. My wife wasn't too impressed when she found out that it was more "normal" sailing conditions than luxury despite the price. The crew operator and I had a good laugh when we talked about their menu and she agreed that yes - the "deluxe" meal was if they put wieners in with the baked beans.

I did have a quick look at the site you suggested and there's not a lot of berths that look appealing to me and while I do have my "White Sail III" certification that's only good for a dingy and not the RYA certifications that they are looking for.

Not my sort of thing at this time in my life though even though I have few things tying me down. I do hope to get my little sloop out next year and that and splashing around with the little Mouse Boat I built is good enough for me.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard