Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
G
G
Sunny,

I don't think I've been following along but I immensely enjoyed your thread. Not that I have much to contribute, although I can relate to that feeling of something not knowing what to do. As of late when that has happened, I just turn up the music and dance with my peeps.

I know some of this is a older chat, but in regards to the OW,I try to take that ever challenging high road. I do maintain the road can be dark, filled with potholes, and have few cars. However, it really is the only road. That doesn't mean I don't have my moments though:)X Mr. GB's gf just graduated from college so it *IS* odd to think when we got married she was in grade school. And ya know what? I think the universe gives us these events for difficult to explain reasons.

I'm sorry things didn't work out with your guy. Once you click with someone, it can be challenging to find someone that you have that same feeling for. Not sure what the dealbreaker was, however just remember that because things didn't work out doesn't mean it wasn't meaningful or presented for a reason.

You have received such fantastic input from so many fabulous posters with much more valuable insight than I have. I did want to chime in on the friendship thing. While I certainly respect Zues's position, I'm in a whole other camp (hopefully with lots of bug spray. I lived in FL for a bit so I know it is necessary). Most of my friends are male. Some are married. Some are in Rs. Overall, I would say they are a group many women gravitate to in general. Some have strayed. Not my place to judge. However, I have never, ever been interested in them in that way. Many were a fantastic support system during my D and sense then. I consider myself lucky to have a network to consult males for opinions. Again, exactly 0 has happened between me an said friends. Do some people cross lines? Sure. But realistically, they were probably going to cross a line of some sort whether they had female/male friends regardless. I mean, folks hook up all the time in a variety of ways. That's on them

Anyway, I think if you decide to be introduced to the duck, then that is perfectly awesome. Do what you think is best because grudgeholding only creates wrinkles IMVHO. You aren't advocating that an affair was correct-you are saying "it is what it is" and I need to move forward. You can't change them or what happened. However, you can change how you continue to move on.

Hang in there:)

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
G
G
Sunny,

Please forgive the litany of typos and grammatical errors. Just red pen me:)

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
S
SunnyB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Georgiabelle, I always brighten up when I see a post from you. When I came here blindsided and lost two years ago, you told me I would be OK. That was such an important message. Because I am. smile

Thank you for your current wisdom. I'm unclear whether the duck is still a player or not, I've heard conflicting stories. I never ask him, but I might at some point. It would be great to have her go away, and I've already said I'll make an effort to get along with someone new.

One of the perks of dating has been that I've picked up a couple of new guy friends along the way. All through college and my young working life, up until my son was born, probably over half my friends were guys, and I've really missed that over the years. So this has been nice.

It's never going to work out with MyNica and I've accepted that. I've even accepted that the relationship we actually had, when we had one, was not the one I ultimately want, I was banking on a future we didn't get to. But what we did have taught me so much about what I'm looking for in a man, how wonderful it is to be treated nicely, what it's like for someone to listen to and validate me. And we had chemistry in spades. If there's a lesson here, I guess it's to show me that it's possible, but it seems like it's a cruel joke of the universe to show me it's possible and then take it away.

That doesn't mean I"m sitting at home, though, I'm ever the optimist. I've dated some lately, although I find myself turning down guys for some petty reasons. I don't mean to be picky, it's just my mood right now. I assume I"ll settle down sooner or later and be open when the right guy comes along.

Anyway, GB, thanks for stopping by, you've given me some things to think about, and that's why I post here!

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way"
A
A
Sunny...sorry you are still feeling a little sad about MyNica. But just think...if it felt that wonderful being with the wrong one, how much better is it going to be when you find the right one for you?

Me: 43, Him: 40
Married: 21 years

Anna - That's an awesome comment!

GB - You are just so damn eloquent. And BTW, I'm in your camp. I have so many male friends. My life would be utterly lost without them. My entire career I've been in male dominated work environments, and I'm just used to them. They make me appreciate my female friends all the more.

Sunny - I still haven't been introduced to Mr. W's GF. Seriously. And she wasn't in the picture when we split up. I don't know why, though he *did* invite me to drive up to Montana for his dad's celebration of life in July. Like I'd seriously sit in the back seat of his truck while she's in MY spot? Yeah, right. But I recognize that in his odd way, he's ready for that to happen. People are weird.

You don't have to get all the answers while you sit in discomfort. I still don't have them. But instead of pretending they don't exist while I check things off my list (yes, I'm the EXACT same way), I pick at the scab periodically to remind myself that the busy work is not meant to distract me from identifying what lurks beneath.

I'll always have my D19 with me, so I can't use the empty nest excuse. She'll always need me. Which means I have to switch to a mind set that I'm already an empty nester. (That sounds insane.) I'm sure someone IRL would tell us to just get over it. I can't. I can't pretend that I'm not affected by my daughter living in another state. I'm happy for her, and we talk all the time. But I really miss her. I miss having her live at home. I miss having her friends afoot, foraging through my refrigerator and eating all my food. I miss their messes and crumbs on the floor. I miss her slovenly bedroom. I miss everything about the life that I had 6 years ago. I managed to mosey through college, because that was temporary. Although deep down inside I knew it was realistic that she'd live out of Colorado, I held out hope that I'd still have her close enough to work out with her or go on walks, or to take a cooking class together or go to the theater.

Sure I do those things. But I miss HER. I'm not exactly sure what my life will look like at 64. That's probably a good thing, right? But the good news is that I can take baby steps to create a life that makes sense for me 10 years down the road. I hear my dad's voice saying, "You don't eat an elephant in one sitting. You eat it one bite at a time." It's so true.

I also can't pretend that my life is drastically different without those I love who passed away not in it. I find myself tearing up on and off ALL.THE.TIME. I talk to them as though they were here, and I imagine their responses. Which makes me miss them all the more.

That also applies to figuring out what you need as your life changes. I think only one of my friends has it figured out. I think the reason she got there faster is because her D22 is an only child, and went to the AF Academy. She knew going in that her D22 was going to graduate with a commission and fly away. The winter of her freshman year, she moved up to their vacation home in Vail and applied to be a ski instructor. She's had the time of her life doing that. She's not divorced, but she told her H that if he didn't let her follow her dreams, they could live apart. God bless him... he just said OK.

Other than that, the rest of us are just trying to figure out what next. We keep on keeping on, we have our busy work, we do what needs to be done, but we're also trying to make room for stuff that brings us joy. One bite at a time.

Why don't you just plan the next 3-6 months and see how you can string along a series of small successes? BTW, I did take that cooking class... it was not really cooking, but we did make stuff. The class was called Knife Skills 101. I got paired up with a 16 year old boy who was a delight. He was taking the class with his stepmother, because they both like to cook. How cool is that?

My elephant is finally addressing the enormous amount of grieving I've been doing for the past 2 1/2 years. It knocked me on my ass, and I sat on a couch crying and distracting myself with TV, movies and reading and comforted myself with food. It was bad for my health. So now I have the lovely task of acknowledging how that grief affected me and taking care of the results from making poor choices. I'm having gradual small success there, but it's hard. And I'm mad at myself for having chosen that path. At least my nutritionist says I'm her star client LOL. The good part is that I'm learning all over again the value of self care. When everything else is in doubt, do something for yourself.

Feel free to jump off the sofa to cross off items of your task list. But periodically force yourself to face the hard stuff so you can work it out. The solution won't come until your feelings are addressed and managed. Be nice to yourself!

Hugs, and hang in there. It's not easy, but it's worth the effort.

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
job Offline
Sunny,

When you have a moment, please start a new thread. Thanks!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
S
SunnyB Offline OP
OP Offline
S

"Don't look back, you aren't going that way"
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard