Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2623553 11/13/15 05:20 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey all,

My life has kind of been on autopilot for the last few months so I haven't posted on my own thread in quite some time. So long that I figured I'd just start a new one.

I'm doing fine, engagement is going great and I am really blessed in my life right now. Most exciting for me is that I found out about 6 weeks ago that I am going to be a first time grandfather - I couldn't be happier about this! grin My D34 who lives in Wisconsin is due in April 2016. She is coming for a visit next week so it will be so cool to see her.

D18 (almost D19) is doing super well in college. Although she is only in her second year, she now has enough credits to qualify as a Junior and could graduate a full year early (May 2017 instead of May 2018).

D17 has submitted most of her college apps and is waiting to hear from her 1st choice - Florida State University - on December 9th. If selected she will enroll in their First Year Abroad program and attend school in either London England or Valencia Spain beginning in September 2016. If she isn't admitted to FSU (which is unlikely given her grades and SAT/ACT scores) the rest of her college choices are much closer to home here in Virginia. While I'd love her to be close, I can't help but be excited for her to get into FSU and experience

The real earth shattering news comes from my Ex. She broke up with her boyfriend (actually he called it off) after a 3 year long relationship in July 2015. She met a new guy through eHarmony in late August 2015 and after just 2 1/2 months is now engaged to him. eek eek They have set a wedding date for Feb 28th, 2016. According to D17, her mom has already bought her wedding dress. D17 isn't too thrilled with her Mom's engagement as she has only met the guy about 3 times. D18 being away at college has only seen him a couple of times. I've talked to them both and they like the guy they just think their mom is rushing things (ya think!) However when my ex gets an idea in her head there is no stopping her.

So that's all the news from my neck of the woods.

BA

K
kml Offline
K
Wow - seriously, how good of a choice can this guy be if he's wiling to get married just 6 months after meeting? I could (maybe) understand impulsive 20-something kids doing such a think, but for grown adults with a marital history to be so stupid, does not speak well of either one of them.

kml #2623684 11/13/15 11:50 PM
W
W
I got married after six months and it lasted 17 years...but it was an immigration issue that forced us to make that decision so quickly. I was stressed out of my brain making that decision. If I didn't have to I wouldn't have. Why would anyone in their right mind make such a decision so quickly...oh yes, REBOUND!

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
whatisis #2623806 11/14/15 01:29 PM
S
S
Hey BA,
Glad to hear things are going so well in your neck of the woods. Seems the moving in together has gone well and your girls are on track.
Congrats on the baby to be! How exciting. I so look forward to becoming a grandparent though my kids are not near ready. Seems all my friends are getting there first despite the fact I had kids before they did.
You are the wise one, taking your time. You ex is obviously still in "that place" where she may always be. Or always was but you just didn't see it at the time. That's how I've come to look at my ex. I do worry about the effect of her actions on your kids but there is nothing you can do about that.
Wii - I never realized the circumstances of your getting married. That would Really make me concerned about getting involved with someone new who also wanted to become a Canadian citizen. I wish the best for you but be wary.

Thanks for checking in BA!

Barb

SunFunOne #2623881 11/14/15 06:53 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks! Frankly I was starting to wonder if my oldest daughter was going to have kids. She has been very education and career focused for quite some time. She and her husband of 6 years have wavered back in forth whether they wanted any or not so it was a bit of surprise when she gave me the news.

In reading my original post above I realize I left off some words regarding D17 and going to school overseas. I meant to say I was excited for her to experience a year on her own in Europe - however with yesterday's horrific news from Paris it makes me think twice about her doing that. I guess though the evil people who perform these terrorist attacks could conceivably do the same thing over here as well.

As for the Ex and her fiancé's quick decision to marry, I can't figure it out either. To make things even more interesting is that he has been married twice and the second one lasted mere weeks as (according to him at least) he found out shortly after the marriage that his new bride was bi-polar and had been married multiple times and she had never confessed up to them. Who knows what's going on over there. As long as no harm comes to D18 and D17 my ex and him can do whatever as I don't care. I think if my girls were younger i.e. pre-teens I would be more concerned. However D18 is already out of the house and D17 leaves next summer.

Well I'm heading out to chop up some firewood. It's supposed to get down to 32 degrees tonight and I think a nice fire in the fireplace is in order for this evening.

BA

W
W
Don't worry Barb, I'm not involved with anyone and my last gf already had her PR papers in. Voldy was here as a university student and therefore was allowed to work one year here on a permit. She was trying to get her status but an immigration consultant ripped her off for $5000 (that's another story)...so it came down to us having to make a decision. Now, back to BA!

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
whatisis #2623929 11/14/15 11:31 PM
G
G
Big congrats on becoming a grandfather! I did not know you had a daughter my age! You look too young! From what my dad says, being a grandfather is the best thing!

God knows what your ex is doing. As long as your kids are ok. That's the most important. My coworker was actually married 22 years to am abusive ex. After being single for a while and giving up after some bad days, she gave one more a shot and they got married after 6 months. They recently celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary, but her girls didn't talk to her for a year. They were a little younger than your youngest. They talk now, everything is well and she's happy. But I hope she is prepared to handle any conflict that might arise.

Glad to hear you are doing well!

Ginger1 #2624017 11/15/15 03:15 PM
K
K
When I was getting ready to go back to Denmark, Lockerbie happened. I thought about it and realized that I couldn't let terrorists control my life and I also needed to stay alert. Kind of like visiting a big city here in the US.

I had some great advice from my supervisor when I was a flight attendant. There had been the crash in PA where everyone died and they were from my base. I was a mess. He knew I was going to be quitting soon but didn't want me to do it just then. He said that I needed to get back up there and keep flying until I wasn't scared anymore otherwise the fear won. I took his advice and am so grateful for it.

As for being a grand parent, Congrats. They are so much fun but they can wipe you out for sure. Enjoy. smile

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
kat727 #2624060 11/15/15 06:31 PM
Congrats, BA!!! You sure have a lot of positivity swirling around you. That's no accident, ya know.

It's so exciting to see our children follow their dreams and achieve the goals they set for themselves. I completely understand your emotions regarding her being away, but you know they'll always consider you their rock, and they'll not be too far from you.

Hugs and hope to see you in a couple weeks!

Bets

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
Ginger1 #2624446 11/17/15 01:02 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Ginger1
Big congrats on becoming a grandfather! I did not know you had a daughter my age! You look too young! From what my dad says, being a grandfather is the best thing!

Thanks G - but you are too kind and perhaps your due for an eye exam with your Optometrist! :-) I am looking forward to this new phase in my life of being a Grandfather!

BA

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard