Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
T
T
Honey, you take what you can use from anything I say ... and leave the rest.

I know you're listening to everyone. If you didn't, people wouldn't be sticking around. You have a lot of heavy-hitters in your corner. (As for little ol' me? I'm still in the minor leagues, but I'm in your corner ... I know a winning-team when I see one!!) wink xoxo

M: 40 H: 44
Married 14 years
S11 & D6; D20 & D19 from previous M
2BDs/PAs, 8 years apart
Piecing: April 2014
T
T384 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You're a heavy hitter to me wink

Okay so can we clarify do nothing

When I told H about my plans tomorrow night - it turned out that it was women and husbands. So I told H. I asked him if he wanted to come. He said he would. Well I just talked to my girlfriend - she is rushing out of town because her grandfather is sick and doesn't think she will be back so its rescheduled for next week.

Do I ask H if he still wants to go to dinner or just tell him the plans are cancelled and leave it at that.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this.

I really need to drop the rope don't i?

M 31 H 34
S 6 S 9
BD 2/14 Piecing 8/14
T
T
Since I'm a nerd, I used this quote through most of my sitch, regarding fear:

Quote:
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
-Frank Herbert, Dune

Last edited by TSquared2; 01/16/15 09:53 PM.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

Uncertainty is the very condition which impels people to unfold their powers.-Eric Fromm

T
T
I would tell him the plans were cancelled. Let HIM pitch a date for the two of you. If he doesn't? Move on.

M: 40 H: 44
Married 14 years
S11 & D6; D20 & D19 from previous M
2BDs/PAs, 8 years apart
Piecing: April 2014
M
M
From what I read...

I think that they are saying that you are overthinking each and every little miniscule detail...

Micro-managing your relationship is seldom helpful...

Relax, enjoy just being you, and your time with your kids...

Let the Universe do it's work....

Acting "as if" everything is just fine....DB101

C
C
Gotta agree with Train on this one.

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
T
T384 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I knew that was the answer.

I am trying to hang onto whatever I can. I'm grabbing on to whatever I can because I can't believe I am here again. We were just so happy a couple months ago.

I just don't know what I could have done differently. So I have to let the fear go. I fear D because I absolutely do not want it.

I'm trying to work that out... It is more than a work in progress. Bear with me while I try to figure it out

M 31 H 34
S 6 S 9
BD 2/14 Piecing 8/14
U
U
Hi T, I can feel the fear in you. I know it's hard. You are going round and round in your head and it is driving you crazy. That's not good for anyone, right?

You are trying to find the answers that are in his head. The thing is, that you cant. The only thing you can know is you. The only thing you can control is you and your actions.

So, try to put the 'trying to figure it all out' thoughts on the backburner for now.

Just for right now, for today, try to let go of the fear because it paralyzes you and keeps you stuck.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. You spinning is using up valuable energy. Energy better spent on you and your kids.

He feels as he does. Doesnt mean he always will.

So, what can you do today to center yourself some? What can you do to find some peace in your head?

Focus has to be on you and the kids right now. That's the way to get through this.

You can do this, T.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Train
The entire premise of DBing - and being here on these boards - is to really seek support to improve *ourselves* so we can become better people. I think many people come here looking for a magic bullet to save a M; I know I did when I was first here (under a different name) in 2005. But we quickly discover that the long-timers around these boards aren't here to give us a magic bullet (that could never be given anyway); instead, they put a mirror in front of our faces to help us consider and find the ways we can change/improve ourselves to be better communicators, better people and better partners.

But there's another side to that, or/but maybe I'm the only one who has struggled with this: I found myself, on several occasions the first time I was here, digging SO deep ... and being SO introspective ... that I started accepting at least partial blame for completely unacceptable things my H said or did. In other words, I was so inside my own head that I sometimes couldn't see what was right in front of my face. I allowed myself to start believing that *I* had done something wrong. I would ALWAYS find how *I* had contributed to my H's actions and behavior. (I should say: I've always been that type of person anyway: to question my responsibility in something before I start "pointing fingers" at others, so digging so deep - and having so many folks asking me what I could change in myself - maybe just kind of exacerbated that.)

At any rate, I, personally, draw a line at you accepting ANY fault or blame for supposedly pushing or pressuring your H to the point that he felt he "needed" to sleep with his cell phone in his pocket. Uhhh no. The fault wouldn't be in you being too hard on him with that. If anything, you were way too *lenient* by allowing him back into your home and life after an A without him agreeing to a comprehensive transparency plan.

On a list of what a LBS needs to begin to recover from an A, being able to openly and regularly look at his/her formerly-wayward's electronic communication - emails, text messages, browsing histories, etc. - is right up there with a no-contact letter to the XOW or XOM.

I dunno, T. I just sometimes think that some people who are newer at DBing - but trying super-hard to save their M - can sometimes accept TOO much blame. And as a result, they sometimes kinda leave their backbone at the door. And that IN NO WAY is going to help the confidence you so desperately need right now. (I'm not saying you're doing it; I just kinda want to bring it to your attention so you don't start ...) Leave FEAR at the door; keep your backbone with you at all times.

You're already being walked on by H. Don't walk on yourself too much, too. Does that make any sense? Or am I seriously the only one who's guilty of walking on myself?

Train,

I wanted to address this. Since the other thread locked, I decided to bring it over here.

I want to disagree with you about some of this. While I do think we can be too introspective sometimes and accept blame for things that we absolutly cannot control...(ie the weather)

In relationships, because we interact with each other constantly, we should always look at ourselves and how we acted, reacted, or did nothing and see what the impact of that might be.

What I think gets confused (especially with people new to that sort of introspection) is accepting RESPONSIBILITY (not blame or fault) for someone else's actions versus accepting our role (or lack there of) and how it affected the other person's actions or feelings.

I didn't make my X confide in other women instead of talking to me, however, when he did try to talk to me about things, often times I was not as receptive as I could have been to him. I did not create that "listening" type of environment that was welcoming to him. There were times that I was critical or angry or just not really even into hearing him. (Busy with the kid or whatever).

So while I absolutely did not and still don't accept responsibility for the choice that he made to go outside of the marriage, I do understand that I created an environment that made that a viable option for him. So I learned to change MY behavior.

I also understand that I have the potential to create a situation that is similar in my current relationship if I am not mindful of me. If I let myself slide back into my old patterns, I could become as unwelcoming an ear to my BF as I was to my X.

That being said...I do believe in transparency in a relationship, however that goes hand in hand with the idea of Trust but Verify...

There is going to come a point in time where the checking of email, text, phone records, needs to stop. Otherwise you simply are taking on the role of a warden instead of a partner.

Anyway...just my thoughts.

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
T
T384 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well mom to the rescue... She's driving here (she lives about 45 minutes away) we are going out for dinner and drinks and then going to take the boys bowling

Cat I get what you're saying

UR thank you for the support. I am so lucky to have advice from pretty great people

I want to let the fear go. I guess my hope is that I can stop 'this' before it gets to where it was before

M 31 H 34
S 6 S 9
BD 2/14 Piecing 8/14
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard