Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This computer system they use is from hell. Satan invented this database. The company has six newspapers and they keep all of the stories in this single database. I'm allowed to draw whatever I like from the main paper, but figuring out how to go about that or finding a story I can use is a major task.

And, trying to download pictures into the system is worse than the article database. They have this stupid, complicated way of titling each pic and I still haven't figured out how to get a picture into the actual system, no matter how many times I've asked...I think I started asking on the second day of work.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Have to go pick up more nails for D12 to hang more pics.

This is helping. I will continue when I get back.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

G
G
Wow, that's a lot to have dropped in your lap!

Makes my petty crapola look easy and minuscule.

M 46 h54
Both married before
T 11y
Bd 2/14 I must see where ow leads!
Ms 18 hs 26
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks G :-)

After a good night's sleep...I'm confident I am able to handle this job. But, the anxiety is what has the potential to bring it all tumbling down. I need to address the anxiety and manage it better so I don't sabotage this new opportunity.

I'm taking Prozac...if anyone has any suggestions on natural supplements for anxiety. I'm sure regular exercise would help. I need to take care of myself right now, more than ever before.

L
L
Hi Lois,

I will get you the name of a natural product you can take for anxiety in place of Prozac. I found it for my oldest when they want to put her on Prozac. I was against putting teens on it and adults as well unless all else failed. She still uses the stuff as she needs and it seems to work well. I have to see her to get the name because I cannot remember as it was 4 years ago.

Twisting on Life's Rope
Me53
W53
M20
D21 D19 D16
BD 2-2013
D final 1-2015
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks Life,

I don't think I'm willing to go off the Prozac at this point, but I'm willing to try some natural remedies for the anxiety.

I can feel it building up this morning. So, I'm going to do what I did back in Ohio. I will report the tasks accomplished here, along with the tasks I plan on tackling next.

So far:

Cleaned the litterbox. It was really gross. The girls need to pick up the slack here.

Cleaned the kitchen.

Fed the dog/cats.

Took out the garbage.

Next...

Put one more story into the database. My editor gave me a list of several stories that I can use for next week's copy.

I'm struggling with a column I have to write.

Apparently, this rural community used the old newspaper, under previous ownership, to attack one another. According to a local minister, the area is notorious for ganging up on each other. Well, I received a thoughtful letter-to-the-editor from someone whose feelings were hurt and was trying to make it clear that this type of behavior can't continue.

My first instinct was to write a column from the point-of-view of an experienced mom and former teacher...We need to play nice.

But, I'm an outsider and I'm a bit nervous I will offend from the Get Go. Still, it would get readers...hmmmmmmm.

I did ask a local minister to write a column on the importance of community. IDK.

I will add another story to the queue.

job Offline
Heather,
You've got the new hire anxiety. It's perfectly normal and you have to give yourself at least a couple of months to feel comfortable in your own skin at the paper. No one is expecting you to know everything when you walk thru the door. So, you don't know how to get the photos done, continue to ask. In fact, ask someone to sit with you a couple of times until you feel comfortable in doing it on your own. So what if you've asked before, nothing brings out the team spirit more than when a newbie needs help. Ask questions, go to the team and continue ask. Show your appreciation by purchasing donuts or something on a Friday, etc. I don't think anyone wants to see you fail. In fact, I think people are excited to have you there and yes, you are new to the area, so new ideas will be coming along from you as you get settled in.

You can take my advice or leave it, but you are still too new to get into the middle of the communities politics of attacking each other. I would address the letter that you received and thank him/her for her letter. Don't commit to anything at this time. Just sit back and observe for a bit. You don't want to change too much in the beginning. People are more receptive to ideas from newbies gradually.

One of the things that might help you is to involve the community more in what goes in the paper. I like the idea of the local minister writing an article on the importance of community. I hope he will do it.

For now, try to accept the fact that you are new and yes, it takes time to feel comfortable in your new role. This new role is one that takes you outside of your comfort zone for many reasons and that's why you are getting anxious. You are not going to fail, but you do need to keep asking for help until you learn the new systems. Always remember...Rome wasn't built in a day...and neither is learning a new and different job. Be patient w/yourself. Okay?

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you so much Job. That helped, alot.

I put one more story into the queue.

I will add another.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Added two more. I'm writing down questions I have about submission of articles and art as I go. I'm also taking careful notes of the stories I want to use.

I still have a lot to do, but I feel like I'm making progress.

I'm going to grab another cup of coffee and something to eat.

L
L
Hi Lois,

the product that I got for my daughter is called Seredyn. You can look at in on http://seredyn.com/?gclid=CP_Cp4SPyMECFbNj7AodzWgAlQ. It covers anxiety and such and i recommend it because of what it has done for my oldest. My daughter just takes them when she starts to anxiety coming on. I would be careful mixing anything with prozac. maybe look and see if there are any interactions if mixed.

Twisting on Life's Rope
Me53
W53
M20
D21 D19 D16
BD 2-2013
D final 1-2015

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard