K
Did you survive Bets?

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
W
W
Kat,

I think Bets is wiped out from beating back the coyotes on her way back home. wink

More later, as I'm still playing catch up at work today (I was off on Friday), and my new employee started today. And yes, I'm wiped out.

It was a great weekend, though. My D20's team won 3 of 4, D20 played really well and made the all tournament team (all stars). Everyone came back to my house for dinner Saturday (all 42 of them), and that went really well too. When it came for the girls to leave, D20 asked me to walk her out to the van. She hugged me, we exchanged I love you's and then she burst into tears and just sobbed. She managed to choke out, "I miss you and Dad so much." Awww. The the other kid from Colorado gave me a hug and was bawling too. I reminded both of them that we're all coming to their home tourney in NY in one month.

I put my dad on his plane home this morning and now we go back to normal. Whatever normal is. I know D17 is going to miss her grandpa a whole lot, so I expect her to give us a little transition trouble today and tomorrow. Oh well.

Tonight I plan on going to bed early. With all the rain and weed growth this summer, I've developed allergies. This benadryl is making me awfully sleepy. God knows, I need it. In the meantime, I still have to put everything away. Not motivated to do it either.

I'll be back later/tomorrow to catch up on everyone. Have a good Monday!

Bets

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
OP Offline
B
Bets,

You are simply wonder woman in my book!!! I am constantly amazed at how you juggle so many things in your life, i.e running a company, managing the estate of Dennis, 42 people coming for dinner, etc.

That is so touching regarding your D20 missing you! My D17 has been reaching out and communicating with me for a change which I have let her know I appreciate. She says she just wants to stay connected to what is going on back here while she is at school. Nice to know our kids appreciate and miss us almost as much as we miss them! grin

Hope the allergies get better for you - it has been brutal here in DC for me as well. This is the only place I have lived where I have had allergy issues. Not sure what it is around here, but something definitely makes my eyes water up and itch like crazy! Looking forward to the fall when it dies down AND the friggin mosquitos go away too. Tired of getting eaten alive when I go outside.

Best,
BA

BA,

I'm not WW... just a dumb woman. I think things sound like a great idea and then I have to pull it off. I did have help with my cohost Colorado family, my dad, Mr. Wonderful and D20's BFF. Their efforts were most appreciated!

I'm really glad that your D18 has been communicating with you. It's a really good sign!

I had really awful allergies when I lived in VA. The grass in the spring and the ragweed in August. It was truly awful. I haven't had them since, and it's been really awesome. But we've had so much rain this year that thing that don't normally bother me really bother me. The news reports that the weeds are extremely high, and I'm guessing that's it. On top of the nasty thing that D17 gave me last week.

I live a mile south of a reservoir. They spray for mosquitoes a little north of me, so sometimes they are also nasty. I would have expected them to be absolutely horrid this year, but for some reason they aren't. Maybe they're spraying a little farther south? We get quite a few cases of West Nile, so they try to mitigate it here. I don't know. But it's all weird.

It poured on and off this past weekend, but was absolutely beautiful on Sunday. When I was driving my dad to church, we have to head due west. It's normally a stunning drive, and it didn't disappoint. I knew where my dad would comment, and he didn't disappoint either. It was breathtaking. I told him that I never get sick of that view either. It's a high spot where you can view the entire front range, all the way down to Pike's Peak. So all that rain did something good!

OK, back to something that most people call work...

Bets

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
Uh, stupid busy woman reporting for duty, sir!

Would you like to know my latest dilemma with selling the house? It's one I never imagined! We keep getting weird, cryptic feedback from potential buyers. About the time one got serious (got a fencing estimate, asked questions about the HOA bylaws they requested and received), they dropped off the face of the earth. The agent and I have been truly perplexed by this latest development.

Monday my dad and I dropped by so I could water the flowers and check over the property on my way to taking him to the airport. We pulled on the street and both of us frowned. My dad commented, "the dingy white lace curtains are a real nice touch". There were some tree guys working on the main thoroughfare, so we both thought it belonged to one of them. Alas. It did not. I pulled up to the house again today only to find a fricking ugly, beat up 70s era hearse parked in front of the house.

And according to the neighbors, it is creeping the potential buyers out. There's nothing illegal about parking a hearse on the street, but jeez. Really? It's decrepit and belongs in a haunted house parking lot. Apparently, it belongs to the next door neighbor's SIL, who is house sitting for his FIL while he's in the hospital. Oh, for an extended stay. Fortunately for me, SIL creeper lives across that main thoroughfare. I guess the neighbors have talked to him, and I guess he doesn't give a sh!t. So I placed a formal complaint with the HOA. Apparently, I'm not the first.

I need some teenage boys who are willing to be vandals for an night? Who knows any? I'd like to slash his tires and put a real dead body in the back. Takers????

This one trumps the need for an electrician, which will be fixed tomorrow. It's always something...

Albert Einstein
B
OP Offline
B
Hey Betsey!

Well talk about curb appeal - not!!! The only good thing is that Halloween is coming up and maybe potential buyers will just think the hearse is just a decoration. crazy

On another note, watched your Bronco's take down the Chiefs on Sunday (sorry Kat). I'm not a huge Bronco fan, but I am a Peyton Manning fan. It is nice to have at least one decent classy guy amongst the fiancé and kid beaters. Our own Washington team with the controversial team name did pretty well too once the back-up quarterback took the field and our franchise player (thanks Dan Snyder - NOT) became injured again. Okay enough football talk.

My weekend was event full. Spent 4 hours in the ER Sunday morning with D16 who had oral surgery on Friday to remove all 4 of her wisdom teeth. Friday night and all day Saturday she could keep nothing down whatsoever, including water, and was running a low grade fever. Fearing dehydration I took her in first thing Sunday and they gave her some nausea meds which did the trick, so she is able to consume liquids and soft foods. Poor thing is swollen up like a pumpkin though. smile

I've finally gotten back into a running program and am feeling pretty good about that. To keep the motivation to run and train going, I signed up for an 5K race which will be held on October 5th. My goal is to finish the race in less than 27 minutes would put me around an 8 minute 45 second pace. I'm also considering the Marine Corps 10K at the end of October - we will see.

BA

Good grief, BA. I hope your D16's healing goes smoothly! That sounds awful. I think it took 4-5 days for the swelling to visibly subside when D17 had hers taken out last year. It's a rough few days post surgery though. Sounds like a great excuse for mac & cheese and ice cream!

I knew that the Chiefs were going to play tough. That's the way we play each other, no matter what the standings say. They are divisional foes and it's always a nail biter. Yesterday was no exception.

And outside of football, my general life kinda matches up to yours, BA. The hearse is gone, but his house was vandalized Saturday night. So today I had to meet up with the handyman to figure out what needed to be done. And of course, we have 2 showings today. Sweet.

So that's the less than desirable. I DO have good to counteract that. smile

1. My D20 reached the 1000 kill mark over the weekend. She's the 8th player at her school and the 4th junior. Unless she gets hurt, she might graduate with the top kills stat. We're proud of her!

2. I am friends with the founders of a nonprofit that is known nationally to educate awareness in the gay community. (They are the MOST lovely people, and I haven't seen them since Dennis' burial in July.) I got a call from the mister this morning asking me what D17 and I are doing on Saturday night. Since the answer pleased him, we are going as their guests in the front row at the Elton John concert Saturday night! And yes, we get to meet Elton, since he's donating to their foundation (and always has). Woo hoo! I love Elton! Mister is going to take D17 to meet him personally. LOL, it might not appease his ego - she wouldn't know Elton from a homeless guy... but we'll go with it.

In the meantime, my new hardwood floors are going in this week. It turns out that I have super power strength (Yes, BA, I was channeling my inner Wonder Woman) by moving furniture around, pulling up carpet and padding in my LR and DR and removing all the carpet tacking. I have the blisters to show it! There was no way I was gonna tackle the family room, 'cause that's where my big ass TV is, and there was no way on earth that I was gonna disrupt watching Outlander or the Broncos game. A girl's gotta have her priorities.

So that's it from my neck of the woods. FTR, I also liked Peyton when he was with the Colts (my sister's team). I root for the Colts unless they play us. So it was a bonus that he came here. And I'm definitely a Broncos fan. We wear our orange and blue pretty proudly in my house! I still root for your team (again, unless they play mine). Jack Kent Cooke died on my 35th birthday. I miss him. I think Dan Snyder is a complete a*hole. I loathe him. He's like the Mark Cuban of football...

TTFN,

Betsey

Albert Einstein
p.s. And since some of you know me on the Alt, you will know that today marks my 24th wedding unniversary. I called Mr. Wonderful this morning to wish him a happy one and he returned the favor. It no longer brings me pain because 1) it's a day that no matter the outcome, still happened and still was a good one; and 2) I got my amazing kids because of it. And that's why I acknowledge it.

The only thing that I truly miss right now is my wedding ring. Diamonds are my birth stone, and that one was a beauty. It's darkly adorning a safe deposit box in a bank.

Albert Einstein
B
OP Offline
B
Well D16 was well enough to go to school this morning. She was still a bit swollen around her jaw and was having some mild pain, but hopefully nothing that a couple Aleve can't handle. It was her choice to go, so that is good.

Betsey - I am so impressed with your D20 - 1000 kills! Holy cow, now that's what I call a "serial volleyball killer"! grin Shall we look for her in Rio in 2016???

As for your 24th wedding anniversary, I think it is remarkable and very healthy and that you and Mr. Wonderful can still commemorate this day, even if it is in a different light. As for the diamond, why haven't you had a jeweler reset it in a different piece of jewelry such as a necklace or something? Beats having it sit in a bank safe deposit box all the time.

Finally, as an update to my current R with GF. We have now been dating for 9 months and while everything is going fantastic between the two of us, all is not completely without drama. She has two teenage kids that are around the same age as my two daughters. A girl who is 17 and a son who is 15. They are good kids, but they are not completely on board with their Mom and I. While they have begrudgingly come out to a couple of joint gatherings, they more often than not dig their heels in and tell her "it's awkward" and they feel uncomfortable. We are supposed to go camping this weekend and they are again stating they aren't comfortable with the idea. GF REALLY wants them to embrace me. She has communicated to them regularly how happy she is with me in her life and to her ex's credit he has told them that their mom deserves to be happy and should move on with her life. I would like them to feel comfortable around me and I go to a great effort to make them feel welcome and comfortable when we do get together. However, I don't want to pressure them to accept me at all and I also don't want to be a wedge between them and their mother. I've told her that I'd rather cancel the weekend and not go than force them to spend 48 hours in a situation they aren't comfortable with. At least on my end, my kids really like and accept the GF. This is a new dynamic for me as I have not run into this situation before. Trying to be patient and do the right thing.

BA

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard