Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have everything documented from the start. My IC told me to journal from the start. I am close to getting a restraining order. It is difficult here. He has to hit me or I need to feel like my life is in danger. Right now he is acting nice, but will get upset as we go further. I am prepared for anything. I have been through so much crap the last year, that I got this. My lawyer gave me a good pep talk. No one can treat me this way.

S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Another day with scrappy of monster- I am nice, back and forth. It really [censored]. Tired of dealing with the nonsense and up and down swings. At least I know the cycle now. This many days angry, this man depressed, this many manic. If he could just figure out he has problems.

Looking forward to moving on, if he ever gets the eff away.

K
kml Offline
K
There was a very sad article on the Huffington Post yesterday, called something like The Man Behind the Yellow Door. All about a guy who went crazy, his wife had to move away with the kids, the parents would leave groceries on his doorstep, he was paranoid and really needed to be hospitalized - but the laws on involuntary mental hospitalizations are so overly strict, there's nothing anyone can do for him.

B
B
That same article was in the Washington Post on Sunday. The story is local. It was sad and left me wondering this man is now and how he is doing. Our country is failing miserably when it comes to addressing mental health issues.

BA

S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Healthcare reform has hurt getting help for those mentally unstable. Sadly if institutes don't get paid they won't keep patients. Here if someone freaks you call 911 and they can do three day mental hold. Then a Dr. Can commit them. The laws are stupid. They made it more tough BC some people should not have been in institute.

Scrappy is acting stranger than normal. It makes me very uneasy. He shushed the kids when they talked about their morning. I don't have any trust for him anymore. My gut is usually right on with his crap.

K
kml Offline
K
Quote:
Healthcare reform has hurt getting help for those mentally unstable

Actually, this is untrue. One of the most important parts of healthcare reform has been a mandate that mental illnesses have to be covered like other medical illnesses. This means that if your eating-disordered child needs inpatient treatment, for instance, it has to be covered just like any other hospitalization would be. (When my child had anorexia and bulimia, I heard many shocking storied of families having to sell their homes to pay for inpatient treatment that was not covered by insurance because it was a "mental illness". The brain is an organ just like a kidney or liver!).

As for involuntary commitment, it's true that it was abused in the distant past, that's why the pendulum swung so far the other way. As it has stood for the last 3 decades, it is easy to get a 5150 48 hour hold on someone. And if a doctor certifies them, a 2-week hold is pretty easy to get. But then it goes to a judge and will not be extended unless it can be proved that you pose an immediate threat to others or to yourself. If you can eat out of a trashcan and sleep under a cardboard box, you are considered to be capable of caring for yourself!

The system really fails the frankly psychotic, who could be helped often with medication, but who fall through the cracks and end up making up a big percentage of our homeless population. Very sad.

S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the information. i wonder if each state is different on mental illness. I have seen it difficult for our patients who have used s ton of insurance for other medical or have no insurance. My state really fails people with medical coverage all the time.

How do you get a 5150 on someone?

K
kml Offline
K
If the cops bring someone in to a hospital, or a mobile psych crisis team picks someone up, a 5150 48 hour hold is pretty much guaranteed.

S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the information. Hs behaviors have proven to be more than mlc. Not entirely sure what is going on, but something is off upstairs.

S
scooby Offline OP
OP Offline
S
H is either very short with me or very nice. I don't trust either. It is very odd to be going through a divorce and living in the same house. I have asked him to leave, and he says he is not and I can't make him. I know I am not leaving. H may also end up losing his job along with ow. I can't believe the choices he has made.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard