Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I went. It was good.

I have to learn FrameMaker and some other stuff.

Thank you Wonks. I will read what you wrote more carefully tomorrow. I'm tired.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
You called me?! smile

I wonder if working independently as a freelancer vs. for a company is more/less lucrative? WONKA??

Yes, I rang.

Thanks for your thoughts.

So, one of the schooling options I was considering for D11 doesn't accept open enrollment. I'm leaning more towards part-time/contract work while I school D11 for one more year...yet, I'm tired of eeking out a living. I would LOVE to be able to hire this girl who has been helping me run the camps and have her tutor D11. D11 has asked for this girl as a tutor. She fits into our family so nicely and it's killing me that I could lose her because I can't afford her right now.

It did occur to me to hire her to run the camp next week and I could simply throw myself into writing/finding gigs. I would break even on the week, but I could keep her around and maybe make some serious headway.

When I'm pumped, I'm able to accomplish a lot. The camps are draining and I'm afraid to lose this momentum. Thoughts? I know it's a risk...but...?? Worth it? IDK.

I'm keeping all of my options open and allowing God to lead the way.

I did a lot o networking yesterday online. In addition to looking at STC, I also went on the SCBWI (Children's Writers Group of which I am also a member). I contacted one woman who specializes in writing historical articles for kids. I'm thinking with all these homeschoolers, the market for good, scholarly, kid articles on history/language arts is probably pretty good.

I seem to be heading towards a career that taps into a variety avenues. I like that. I get bored easily and having the ability to write about a bunch of different stuff really, really, really, REALLY appeals to me. If I could teach a little on the side. BAM!! I would LOVE IT!! Throw some books into the mix...

Whoa. Am I getting excited about my life?? Weird.

Last night was good for me. It was a small, friendly group and they have been at this for a long time. One couple owns a large tech writing firm in Northeastern Ohio...very well-connected and loads of info. It's a family-run firm and the woman's sister was there who also works for them. She is concerned that her granddaughter may be on the Spectrum. It was nice to have my knowledge tapped into.

I learned a lot and felt confident I could reach out to any of the people I met for more info if I needed it.

It was suggested that I learn Framemaker, Madcap and Adobe Captivate and Articulate through free demos and trials. I could also look into webinars on the STC website. Then, I can add those to my resume.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I also looked at joining EFA (Editorial Freelancers Association)...One member of STC is a member of EFA and I noticed it has some good healthcare benefits I could tap into.

The ASJA is another option, but I would need to get some new clips in place before I would be eligible.

Oh, and I need a blog for my writing.

W
W
Heather,

Have you done any follow-up calls on those contacts? I've learned that follow-ups leads to a discussion on their "needs" that they're looking to fill and you can position yourself in a way that shows them you can meet their "needs."

job Offline
As an add on to Wonka's posting...follow-up calls show people that are you are interested and have initiative and want to be a part of that world.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks guys.

I'm still a little confused about what it is I'm after. Last night, D20 got home really late from work (2 a.m.) and I couldn't fall back asleep after. Worry was eating me up. I didn't fall back to sleep until 5:30.

I went to the bookfair yesterday and came home with tons of publishing contacts.

I have this day camp to run this week. I plan on following up on the Technical Writing stuff this week.

I signed up for Framemaker webinars for each day (Mon through Friday).

I'm going to send a Thank You card to the ladies who organized the Friday night event. And, I'm going to follow up by sending them my resume with the Framemaker revisions.

I also need to follow up with the lady who said she would mentor me. She told me she was busy right now, but it's been two weeks and I think it's a good time to send her my resume revised with Framemaker info...maybe Madcap also??

Somebody at the dinner suggested Madcap because I could, then, carve a niche.

Wish I didn't have this damm camp but it's too late to cancel.

Thoughts on EFA?? Wonka?

K
K
Wow Lois B!

Are you rocking this new life OR WHAT!?!?!?!?!

Lois you are an inspiration to me! I've been so stuck on the hamster wheel of making a living, that striving towards my goals, dreams and desires has just taken a back seat! But hells bells I come here and read a few posts, and lady you're on fire!

I must stay tuned to hear about all the new and exciting things that are about to happen for you!

Kimmerz

M=42 XH=44
M=18 T=21
D14 D11
Divorced 4/2012
XH marries OW 6/2014.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you Kim. :-) I'm not sure I'm rockin just yet...but, I'm gettin there.

I downloaded the Free Trial of Framemaker 12.

A writer got back to me about the one writing organization I was thinking of joining. I'm not sure it's worth it just yet.

I'm putting the technical writing as my top priority this week. I'm going to focus on Framemaker this week while doing the camp. I will also send a Thank You to the ladies who organized the dinner and send an email to let them know I'm following their suggestions about learning the different software.

I will follow up with phone calls next week.

The camp went about as I expected today. I did a good job and was really depleted at the end of the day. The one boy has some severe behavioral issues and his mom forgot to give him his meds this morning. I had a few moments where thought I was going to lose it...I had six kids and three were high maintenance. I'm only getting paid for two. I invited the others in order to give the camp the appearance of success. I do like this doing this, but just not on the scale or with the financial pressure involved. These camps/workshops/tutoring would be a nice supplement to more stable employment/writing gigs.

However, I'm stretched really thin right now and I have one camper I may turn down. The boy also has some severe behavioral problems and I just don't have it in me right now.

On another note: I looked up some information on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I was curious after reading Kimmerz' thread. Boy, does my dad fit the bill. Almost every symptom fit like a glove. So, then, I read about what are common characteristics of kids raised by those with NPD. And, this too fit. I think I'm getting closer to the core of what holds me back.

Still feeling a lot of pain and grief and fear about this dissolution. I'm so tired of everything being so up in the air. And, I'm feeling really angry about the money spent without my consent last summer. I'm working on stopping the thoughts of He Who Must Not Be Named when they come up. I gotta get better at that.

Yard needs mowed and I need to shave my legs and both those things feel like insurmountable mountains to climb. Lol. Luckily, all the rain tonight will force me to postpone the mowing. I think some self-care is in order.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Tboned, I still say the mantra, I still have little bouts of anger once in awhile. My mother is very ill, I was just thinking last night how that effer left me and I was there for him for every horrible thing that happened to him during our marriage and now that I have had bad things happen he's nowhere in sight. Feeling sorry for myself, I wasn't part of the decision to divorce either, then I think - no, i'm not going to play victim here.

Quote:
I LOVE READING THIS^^ PROCESS^^^!!! You found yourself falling into the self pitying "victim" pit, and then, you STOPPED yourself!

That's what I call COURAGEOUS WORK! BRAVO! (Clap clap clap!)

He probably has his own problems now(obviously) and my problems/worries are now my own, so my only choice is to deal with them.

I'm borrowing this from T-Boned's thread, along with 25's comments. Really good stuff for me to remember right now.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
That was TL72's wisdom above, forgot to mention.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard