Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Is she going to try and take her GED? I would be going crazy being 17 and having to take classes with14 year olds. I know she did this to herself and I suppose she will have to deal with the fallout.

Does she plan on you guys supporting her financially forever? You might want to put that thought out of her mind. Does she know what kind of job she might have to take without an education? How will she afford rent? These are the bits of reality you will need to show her. Talking about it probably won't do anything but showing her should.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
R
OP Offline
R
I spoke to her two months ago regarding her attendance. I said if u miss 5 more days you will not move on to the next grade. I also asked her if she had thought if she preferred to work at Burger King over McDonald's. She didn't like that and her attendance improved. But she has missed 35 days already. She really doesn't discuss her plans and when I ask she just says "ahh". Sometimes I think her mother wants to keep her home for ever.
I have tried to teach her to drive. She is not interested. Strange for a teenager. Kat she goes to the alternative school and there there are kids of all ages with similar problems.

I think exw wants her home. She gives her everything she wants. It was strange to me that exw fought me about my Ds education and future. Today things are not so strange. I have learned through this how selfish people can be. All I can do is be here for her and continue to guide her the best I know how.

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

F
F
it is now time to get involved whatever school she is going to...

You need to be included on emails and all correspondence with the schools...

she could be considered truant and then the courts will get involved and brings charges against her or your wife in order to get her attendance up in school

R
OP Offline
R
I usually email the principal to get updates. This is her responses today:

"D does well when she is present. She completes her work in a very capable manner and is pleasant. She continues to NOT initiate conversation, but responds when spoken to. She has 35 unexcused absences. As a result, she is presently in a NO CREDIT status for the year. That means that she will not have credits for 9th grade and will have to repeat 9th. However, we have a credit recovery program in the spring where students can make up 20 days. Unfortunately, if D's absences go over 40, she will not be eligible for credit recovery.

Thanks for your concern",

Figg I also asked about truancy and this was her response:

"Hi Mr - I'm not sure why charges have not yet been filed by our attendance officer with the court, but I will follow up on that this week".

Last year she missed like 90 days, the year before over 80.

M 53
D 20
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

John Wooden

W
W
Rick,

Sorry this is happening with your D. It is a tough thing to deal with as a parent.

Have you thought about family counseling with D to work through family issues? A neutral third party person may be able to lead XW to see the "light" that D is acting out because there's no firm set of boundaries nor parental guidance.

This way, XW cannot target you if you broached the subject with her. The neutral third-party person can facilitate it for you and the family.

R
OP Offline
R
I tried getting her to a counselor. She refused. I have tried everything i know. I'm in the field. The school tried too with no luck.

M 53
D 20
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

John Wooden

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis