Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Barb,

Okay, you have me laughing:

Quote:
Mostly they are grown up then once in a while they seem to revert back to their teen years & it just throws me off balance. But it is usually short lived.

We've definitely been living parallel lives this summer! So glad we both made it through the other side. smile

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
S
OP Offline
S
She got the job!!!! It is full time - 40 hours a week & pay app $5 more an hour than she is used to getting. She is so thrilled!

Interview was early & we then had most of the day to shop. We never shop together anymore.

She found dinnerware that she just loved & I bought it for her for her birthday. She never had nice dishes in the last place. I got her placemats & a matching candle for her table. We were both pretty happy today.

So I feel like I'm getting my daughter back. I'm so happy!

Yep, Mish - it is SO exciting!

Betsey - yep - parallel for sure. Raising girls is the toughest!

Barb

K
K
You mean I have crazy rough days ahead with the girls??! Hard enough with the boys. S20 hasn't given me much to gripe about but yes, the last few months with s17 has been hard. I have had a bump here or there with d14 but nothing to really complain about. She has been talking a lot about high school. Right now she is confused and tired. smile

D13 hasn't been too much trouble either. I swear though, she would forget her head if it wasn't attached. She is such a sweet innocent girl.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
Kat,

Sorry to say, but yeah. There is something to be said for that Mother-Daughter push-pull. I had it with my Mom, although she and I were okay before, and definitely okay afterward.

Both Ashley and D19 seem to be pretty good chicks overall, so that isn't the problem. It's just that stubborn streak? You say black, they say white. You say no, they say yes. It just wears on you. D19 and I had a horrible relationship her senior year in high school. I'm SO glad that's behind us. But I will say it's no worse that my R with my mom senior year. Hideous. I have spent the better part of the past 2 years apologizing to my mom...

D19 was a fabulous teenager at 13 and 14. We were literally ok until she hit 17. So I hope you get a few more years.

BTW, I have a friend whose daughter NEVER went through this. I was pretty envious. UNTIL... her daughter got to college. She opted not to go to a 4 year university but to a junior college in the middle of Wyoming (say what? WHY???). She calls her mom every day and it's now apparent to me that she is having difficulty differentiating herself and becoming independent. At 19, I now think it's weird. So know it's pretty normal, and what we raise them to do. I think they are mean so that we force ourselves to leave them be while they grow up. It's a good thing!

Have a good weekend!

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
S
OP Offline
S
Kat, Betsey & friends:

Oh yes - raising girls is different. And difficult. Ashley & I had the most amazing relationship as she grew up. She danced and twirled baton and that was my career. We traveled with it and had so many friends. She LOVED it! She gave up twirling in competition not long after her dad left (as she was turning 13) - she was very depressed at the time. There were some difficulties but 15 was when it got really bad. She definitely had been raised to be very independent and by 15 she figured she didn't need me at all. I had to let go but continue to set boundaries and enforce rules. She needed THAT! She also HATED THAT!

But as you say, Betsey - you can see the difference between her and others. My niece is the same age as my daughter (almost 25). She won't drive out of town, never left campus in 4 years at Christian University except for the time my daughter drove up to take her out for her birthday. They were both 18!!! She is currently living with my dad while going to school. Her parents have picked that living arrangement for her. My dad doesn't like it (but agreed to it) and says she sits in her room, rarely goes out with friends and keeps the blinds closed. Her parents don't allow her to work - she needs to study. Yet it is a community college program - not rocket science. Both my kids worked to help put themselves through school and commuted 90 min to school each day. Seriously...

Anyway - sometimes it is just their personality. Ashley is much nicer to be around these days. Whew!

Barb

S
OP Offline
S
So Ashley phoned her dad last night to tell him she was moving up here permanently and about the job. She dreaded telling him but he seemed to take it reasonably well. He did say that they would see less of each other. DUH! Well - Dickhead - she was 10 min away for the past 12 years - you didn't make much of an effort then!

He told her he will be away in Sept - they will have to make a time to get together for her birthday. Oh - but he will miss her birthday because he is taking maggot's 2 grandkids (the 2 her son had with 2 different girls he is no longer with) to Disney World!!! Go figure! He has not taken any one of his 3 offspring ANYWHERE since he left. Daddy dearest...

But she is in a good place just the same. She wrote on Facebook yesterday - "Happiest Ever!"

So its all good.

Barb

S
OP Offline
S
Preparing for Ashley to "leave the nest" once more. She has just one more week of work at her summer job then begins the new job immediately after. And she officially got offered every single job she applied for! Unbelievable - it never rains - it pours - but this time in such a good way!

She gets her apt in less than 2 weeks although she won't really sleep there much the first week as she will be here for her brother. I'm going on the Alaska Cruise! Very excited about it though haven't thought about it much since I booked it a few months ago. I'm taking classes on the ship & Josh is not joining me so it isn't quite the same. Still...

Summer has returned for a brief fling. Trying not to plan too much & just enjoy. I know how long the rest of the year is.

Memories of the horror of Ryan's agency are fast becoming a history I will never relive. We have only 2 workers now but they are terrific and things are going well.

So CHEERS to the rest of the summer & everything falling into place. For once!

Barb

B
B
Isn't it nice when everything is going smoothly, especially after the long period of turmoil you had with the "wicked witch of west" care manager. Enjoy the Alaska cruise - sorry Josh is missing out on going with you.

BA

Enjoy your trip, Barb!

Ashley will take good care of Ryan and all will be well in your world. You deserve it.

Can I send you some more summer? It was 99 here yesterday and going to be in the 90s until early next week. I'll be happy to send 10 degrees your way. grin

I'm personally ready for fall. It's my favorite time of year. Warm days, cool nights and the autumn colors. It makes me want to put soup in the crockpot and relax...

Anyway, glad that everything is going well with Ryan. I sure know how that goes too. I remember living a life waiting for the other shoe to drop. It was tough. Like you, I sure am grateful for the easier times.

Cheers back atcha!

Betsey

Albert Einstein
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks BA!

It's amazing that one person so burst my bubble when I moved here. I am enjoying things now the way I should have when I first moved. Such a difference.

Just getting things organized for my trip. It would be nicer with Josh along but I will do as he suggested - "scout it out" so we can plan a trip together soon.

Barb

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard