Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
A
A
MIIIIIIILLLLLLL,

Welcome back chica! I thought you gave up on all of us Cigar "Lost Boys"

Pup, I'm going to the store today. On your reccomendation, I will buy a Rocky 99 CT or two. Sounds like you are living the life my friend.

Cheers!

ADAPT. OVERCOME. IMPROVISE.
-Tom Highway

Me: 43
W: 40
S12 & S9
Married 17yrs
Together 20yrs
L
L
I've gone from Infidelity to Divorced But Not Done and now I'm in Piecing. One of my GAL's is starting cigar smoking. I'm looking for beginning cigars. My humidor is supposed to arrive today and my 5 CAO Corona's arrived yesterday. I've tried Macanudo, Gispert, and Helix and they were all good.

I'm looking for some hidden gems and since PDT helped me regain my dignity and manhood I figured he and others are uniquely qualified to give advice in other areas.

M-43
FWW-42
T 20
M 16
DD10
DD8
EA: 1/10
Informal separation: 6/11/2010
Headed for D: 7/6/2010
Piecing? 9/10/10
P
OP Offline
P
Hiya Lowes,

Do you like flavored cigars? If you're just starting out, I'd recommend trying maybe a good flavored cigar or two, but definitely focus on MILD (Connecticut wrapper) cigars at first. Too many people start out with medium to strong maduros, and don't like the test. It's like starting your red wine drinking with a big, bold cabernet instead of with a nice Pinot Noir.

Not sure what your price range is, but for flavored, I like:

cheap: Professor Sila
more $: anything by Drew Estates, but the Java is excellent!

For mild, I like:

cheap: 5 Vegas Gold
more $: Rocky Patel Connecticut, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut

For a good, not-that-expensive medium-bodied cigar, I like both La Aroma de Cuba and Cigars International CI Legends Rocky Patel (Orange), or a Rocky Patel 1990 or 1992, or a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve, in the lighter (I believe it's Corojo) wrapper choice.

I look for cigars that sell for $7 - $10 at retail, and get them online for $2.50 - $4.00 apiece.

Hope that helps! Not sure which CAOs you ordered, but I've never had a bad one yet. Some are definitely stronger than others, though (and you may just enjoy a medium- to full-bodied smoke right outta the gate).

Puppy

L
L
Thanks PDT.

They were CAO Golden Coronas.

Hey I have FWW taking puffs off my cigars! whistle

M-43
FWW-42
T 20
M 16
DD10
DD8
Piecing? 9/10/10
P
OP Offline
P
is that a metaphor? laugh

P
OP Offline
P
Based on what you say you've tried (and enjoyed) so far, I think you'd like my recommendations. I've used both Cigars International and Cigar.com, but CI's prices and service are the best. They offer lots of different samplers, either within a brand (like a Rocky Patel Sampler pack or a CAO sampler pack) or a taste range (Mild Sampler, or Mild-Medium Sampler). I like to order those, and then make note of which ones I really liked, and then wait for them to go on sale and snarf up a bunch of them.

If you got the CAO Gold, I think you'll be VERY pleased. It's a great cigar!

Puppy

L
L
Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails
is that a metaphor? laugh

LMAO...but yes it is grin grin grin

M-43
FWW-42
T 20
M 16
DD10
DD8
Piecing? 9/10/10
L
L
Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails
I've used both Cigars International and Cigar.com, but CI's prices and service are the best. They offer lots of different samplers, either within a brand (like a Rocky Patel Sampler pack or a CAO sampler pack) or a taste range (Mild Sampler, or Mild-Medium Sampler). I like to order those, and then make note of which ones I really liked, and then wait for them to go on sale and snarf up a bunch of them.
Puppy

I ordered the CAO's through CI. Looking through the catalog I think I will order a sampler pack...the prices are excellent!

M-43
FWW-42
T 20
M 16
DD10
DD8
Piecing? 9/10/10
A
A
Low,

You might also scope out your friendly neighborhood tobacconist. The prices are WAY higher, but

1) You can buy onesies, and try things out. Then order in bulk from CI
2) You can learn from the other customers (we're mostly a friendly lot). You can also get to know the retailer, who will give you tips too.
3) Often times, the reps will come in town and host tastings which usually involve good promotionals, free sticks and libations.

And finally, it's a fun place to hang out and kill an hour. Like a coffe house...for MEN.

Pup gave you some good selections for Mild cigars. I would add Dunhill and Pliedes. They are well made and tasty mild cigars, but they are pricier.

When you are ready to dabble in stronger cigars, start slow. Don't jump in both feet with the double Ligeros or the oscuros. go for a nice rojo or a colorado maduro. Try the Punch Rothschild. It's a maduro, but smokes milder. They're short, so if theyre too strong, you don't get overpowered. Plus they're relatively cheap.

long ashes!

ADAPT. OVERCOME. IMPROVISE.
-Tom Highway

Me: 43
W: 40
S12 & S9
Married 17yrs
Together 20yrs
P
OP Offline
P
AG,

Let me ask you something that's been sticking in my cigar craw (do cigars have craws??).

For the life of me, I've NEVER been able to get a cigar torch that works well for me. My wife's bought me a couple of decent ones, too, and I've tried the BEST butanes out there (someone told me that was my problem), all to no avail. The lighter will inevitably hold a charge for MAYBE a couple of lights, but then it will only hold a flame for a second, before it goes out.

I've tried completely "draining" the lighter before refilling it, holding the butane upside-down -- the works. What am I doing wrong? Using matching or a cheap Big lighter to light my sticks not only doesn't work as well, it's not nearly as satisfying.

Puppy

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard