Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
B
OP Offline
B
Ok, Allen, I know where I stand internally. Now I need help with a game plan. I need help with boundaries (big time - had a backslide tonight - might post it later, but too tired now).

Given - we're separated, and he considers OW a gf, not infidelity, and presumably that OW knows he's married...

I was reading this on another thread...is this something you suggest for me as well?...

"And again you don't threaten consequences.. you just DO IT

She will blast you

You use the confrontation script again

a - g

Then you exit and wait...

She does it again

You bring what consequences you can down on her head

She blasts you

you restrict her again

She will gradually realize you won't be a doormat... She will realize if she cheats, there are consequences and she will curb the activity and try to play fair...

usually.. this isn't 100%, but you need to set a boundary here and show what happens when its violated"

Me: 42
Him: 43

Two divorcees in a relationship
A
A
This is the process I usually reccomend yes...

You want to assert yourself, with dignity and maturity, while ensuring he acts in a way that respects you.

No one finds a doormat attractive... Once you start sticking up for yourself you have a better chance of impressing him.

Never mind what he "considers" OW to be... YOU press your own values into this that put children first...

OM "considers" it ok to threaten marraiges too... with children! That's pretty SICK!

B
OP Offline
B
AT this point, I cannot worry what he finds "attractive" I have lived too long trying to meet his needs and pull his interest back toward the M with consistent disappointment. Right now I am intersted in what might encourage him to see that what he is doing is hurting our son, me and our marriage.

Last night I failed at DB- tried to talk and explain my worries, why do I keep thinking he will understand?

So I need action. A clear list of actions.

T
T
Quote:
Right now I am intersted in what might encourage him to see that what he is doing is hurting our son, me and our marriage.

So... you'd like to control him, what he thinks, and how he feels.

It's not going to happen. You'll just make yourself miserable trying.

M-47,W-40,No kids
D-filed 5/27/2010
Piecing - 10/21/2010
-=Soon to be banned=-
A
A
If you want him to stop hurting you, you need his respect first... People have no inhibitions about hurting people if they don't respect them.

Respect I think needs to come first... This isn't about being appealing, its about character. I know its hypocritical given his behaviour. But until he respects you, he's not going to concern himself with what he's doing to you or his kids.

E
E
Hope,

I'm just getting here, so I apologize if I'm going over old ground...

Have you tried setting him free? Sending him a "Protection Letter", and having all communication about S5 done through a third party?

Encouraging him to rejoin the M doesn't seem to be working, and it's making you miserable. You're right; let him feel the consequences of his actions. Remove yourself from his life for a while so he can see that you aren't the cause of his unhappiness.

Between your H's addictions to OW, drugs and online RPG's, suing for full custody seems like the right thing to do. You don't want your child in that environment, and he is definitely not acting like a fit parent right now.

Last edited by eeyore_no_more; 09/11/10 06:40 PM.
A
A
Yes, this is my point. You assert the importance of protectiong teh health of you, your family, and the home it takes attention OFF of him and ONTO what he's doing...

He will respect you for protecting his home.

Example :

You are hurting me, our children, and the stability of this house hold... You need to leave.

You are a hurtful person, mean, cruel, and selfish... you need to leave

The first one is a lot more respectable of an approach...

You don't need his agreement for the first one... You just say it and exit the convo... the second one is weak and invites a lot of debate

B
OP Offline
B
THX friends. BTW I am not "asking him to leave" we are separated. He comes over two out of his three nights to have dinner and put S to bed since he is small, but he doesn't take him the whole night.
In other words, I can't ask him to move out, he already did that over a year ago.

As for setting him free - he's been free. He was fence sitting (at least that's what he told me, and we were in MC - could have been lies as there was OW) for a long time, then in May told me he wasn't coming back. We stopped MC then and I have gone dim. If you see a way that I"m not setting him free, pls explain.

I have not had a third party take S because there is drop off only one night per week. I also have watched H closely to make sure he is not losing his temper at S as he tends to be verbally and emotionally abusive, or staring at a computer screen when around S much of the time.

Last edited by Hope4Luv; 09/12/10 10:03 AM.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: TimeHeals
Quote:
Right now I am intersted in what might encourage him to see that what he is doing is hurting our son, me and our marriage.

So... you'd like to control him, what he thinks, and how he feels.

It's not going to happen. You'll just make yourself miserable trying.

no. I am talking about drawing boundaries as talking gets us nowhere. I'm not talking about control. See Allen's advice above - very good statement.

B
OP Offline
B
So any guidelines / suggestions for a plan of action? Consequences!...

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard