Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
D
How can I protect myself from having monitoring software put on my computer? My guy friend - possible BF wannabe, who is computer saavy, gave me his old laptop computer a few months ago.

Now he says he has a 'present' for me, and says it will take about an hour to get it up and running and for me to learn to use it, and he seems insistent on helping. I'm just getting weird vibes from him as I put up boundaries about how much and when I see him.

I may be off base here, but what if it is a computer program? Can monitoring software be bundled with other programs? How can I make sure he doesn't put anything weird on my computer?

1st
2nd
3rd
Current
A
A
Format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system

Nothing's going to be on there after that

Don't let people you don't trust use your PC... period

D
D
i agree with allen a.

reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything yourself.
before you do that, back up any files that you need.

create a hard drive password and a login password.

P
P
Set up a phony "rendezvous" with a friend posing as OM, and then see if he shows up. When he shows up, be there with a girlfriend, and ask him WTF he is spying on you, give him his old computer back, and tell him never to call you again.

D
D
Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails
Set up a phony "rendezvous" with a friend posing as OM, and then see if he shows up. When he shows up, be there with a girlfriend, and ask him WTF he is spying on you, give him his old computer back, and tell him never to call you again.

Brilliant idea Puppy.

I don't think he is cyber-spying on me now, (if he were, I would think he would have stopped doing what annoys me.) The gift may not even be something for the computer, but I wanted to have some info so I could be prepared just in case.

1st
2nd
3rd
Current
P
P
I would do it anyway, just to make sure he didn't already put something on the laptop he gave you. A phony e-mail, from a girlfriend at a newly-created gmail account with a username like "surferGuy32", agreeing on some public (but 1-in-a-million place that he would go there coincidentally -- pick some place that's TOTALLY not "him") rendezvous location ought to do the trick. Then just go there, with your girlfriend, park your car and wait for the fun to begin. Or not.

M
M
You know what would be funny in a Spy vs Spy sort of way? If you received an eBlaster copy of an email from your spouse's computer and it was an eBlaster report to your spouse about activity on YOUR computer. blush

P
P
Originally Posted By: MakingProgress
You know what would be funny in a Spy vs Spy sort of way? If you received an eBlaster copy of an email from your spouse's computer and it was an eBlaster report to your spouse about activity on YOUR computer. blush

Wow -- so true!!!! Had never thought of that one, but it could happen!!!

D
D
LOL. The spy v. spy scenario would be great.

The gift turned out to be an external hard drive, which I definitely needed. I told him that I think I can get that up and running myself.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

I actually haven't a clue how to reformat my hard drive, (I'm over 50), but I'll find out.

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

1st
2nd
3rd
Current
P
P
Just don't let him install the external hard drive unsupervised. He could still be using this as a means to put some keylogging software on your computer.

Not trying to be paranoid, but rather going by your initial "wierd vibes" comment, Dudess.

Puppy

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard